Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Rough timeline to gain PR in Canada

Rough timeline to gain PR in Canada

Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Bumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rough timeline to gain PR in Canada

Hi everyone,

Hubby and I attempted to emigrate a few years ago to Canada and were applying from within Canada as hubby has dual citizenship of the UK and Canada. We had some family probs and I became pregnant so we came back (hormones!!), but we've not stopped wanting to be back over there.
My Mom's health isn't great and we'd like to be here as long as she's alive.

The problem is we want to apply for permanent residency for me and our daughter from here so we can go ASAP when possible, and I wondered if anyone knew roughly how long it takes and then how long it's valid for?

Thanks
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rough timeline to gain PR in Canada

If he's a canadian citizen then he should be able to sponsor you. I think from other posts it doesnt take all that long, less than 6 months IIRC.

Did you withdraw your previous application? Not sure how that is likely to alter things. To apply from outside you have to show some plans and intentions of moving to canada, that could be a problem in your situation.

Permanent residence is what it says on the box... its permanent, as long as you meet the residence requirements, and living with a canadian is good enough, even if not in Canada.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

But you won't be able to apply until you can show that your husband, as your sponsor, has the intention to move back to Canada. I'm not entirely sure how you prove this, but I'm sure if you do a search on the forums you'll be able to find out.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Bumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond reputeBumblebee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

I had the medical over in Canada, and we had all the forms completed and ready to be sent after having to redo some bits, but by then I was heading back over so they were never sent. Have kept them luckily as they've got all the info on we'll need for next time.

It sounds as though we'll have to wait to apply until we're ready to go, as otherwise we can't prove it. I guess we need a job offer or something similar to prove it.