Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

RN losing job in the Okanagan (help!).

RN losing job in the Okanagan (help!).

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

hitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant future
Exclamation RN losing job in the Okanagan (help!).

Hello,

I just wanted some advice / guidance to what routes and what options I have as there is practically nobody to talk to about this.

I have been in Canada for 2 years (in BC) and moved from the UK.

I am an RN here holding provisional registration with the CRNBC. Unfortunately, I failed my NCLEX and thus my provisional registration is lapsing on the 28th of February 2015. I am going to be sitting it again on the 23rd of March 2015.

As I will be unable to practice as a nurse in BC from the 28th, I handed in my resignation. Therefore I will be unemployed from this point. I have also handed in my notice for my apartment and have begun to sell my car and what not.

I did have my application for PR in progress (as an employee of interior health) and I was PNP nominated (again, as an employee of interior health). I am seeing if there are any last options left before I head back to the UK( and I am unsure what options I have left) - I feel that I may have to go back to the UK and start from scratch all again. I'd like to stay in BC, so if there is any options / last attempts I can do that would be great.

Any advice / guidance would be great.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 6:45 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RN losing job in the Okanagan (help!).

Originally Posted by hitozutsu
Hello,

I just wanted some advice / guidance to what routes and what options I have as there is practically nobody to talk to about this.

I have been in Canada for 2 years (in BC) and moved from the UK.

I am an RN here holding provisional registration with the CRNBC. Unfortunately, I failed my NCLEX and thus my provisional registration is lapsing on the 28th of February 2015. I am going to be sitting it again on the 23rd of March 2015.

As I will be unable to practice as a nurse in BC from the 28th, I handed in my resignation. Therefore I will be unemployed from this point. I have also handed in my notice for my apartment and have begun to sell my car and what not.

I did have my application for PR in progress (as an employee of interior health) and I was PNP nominated (again, as an employee of interior health). I am seeing if there are any last options left before I head back to the UK( and I am unsure what options I have left) - I feel that I may have to go back to the UK and start from scratch all again. I'd like to stay in BC, so if there is any options / last attempts I can do that would be great.

Any advice / guidance would be great.
Sorry for your situation... I'm guessing you have checked whether you could have extended your provisional registration?
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

hitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant futurehitozutsu has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Sorry for your situation... I'm guessing you have checked whether you could have extended your provisional registration?
Unfortunately I had already had it extended previously!
Old Feb 24th 2015, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I had already had it extended previously!
If you've already been nominated then couldn't you apply for a BOWP? At least then you could work and stay until you get PR, even if it's not as a nurse.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you've already been nominated then couldn't you apply for a BOWP? At least then you could work and stay until you get PR, even if it's not as a nurse.
Hi Christmasoompa, Is that possible? I thought my nomination / PR application would become void if I wasn't doing the job that gave me the nomination /PR in the first place? If so, then I would happily apply for the BOWP.

How do I go about doing this BOWP? I do not mind working elsewhere until I resit etc.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT: I have no idea what i am talking about and have deleted both posts, I did not realise the OP had extended already, as I did not fully understand what that meant when first read, having spent 20 minutes reading about NCLEX then posting about don't be hasty, you can work after first fail etc etc I realised this was the OP's second sitting...I apologise and withdraw from this thread.

Last edited by Ontheroadoflife; Feb 25th 2015 at 8:05 am.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

never mind...The road to hell is paved with Good Intentions

Last edited by Ontheroadoflife; Feb 25th 2015 at 8:06 am.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 7:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Christmasoompa, Is that possible? I thought my nomination / PR application would become void if I wasn't doing the job that gave me the nomination /PR in the first place? If so, then I would happily apply for the BOWP.

How do I go about doing this BOWP? I do not mind working elsewhere until I resit etc.
I don't know about your PR, it would depend at what stage you're at and you'll need to speak to BC PNP about that, but a BOWP may well be possible - you've not given enough details to know for sure as it will depend on when your current TWP expires among other things. But have a look at the info on BOWP's and work out if you may be eligible for one, if so then that's a quick and easy answer on how to stay and keep working - Extend your work permit – Economic class applicants

Good luck.