rip off britain...re medicals

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

zider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rip off britain...re medicals

cost of our medicals in England would be over a thousand pounds I was quoted by calling several doctors, in Seattle we could do it for $900, well we did them in BC for $500 Canadian dollars...about 200 pounds ten and six in old money...what does that say about England? Just shop around....
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Originally Posted by zider
cost of our medicals in England would be over a thousand pounds I was quoted by calling several doctors, in Seattle we could do it for $900, well we did them in BC for $500 Canadian dollars...about 200 pounds ten and six in old money...what does that say about England? Just shop around....

Wow!!! :scared:

I haven't even thought about medical costs and to be honest am not even sure whats invloved. I thought it was just a simple medical to check up you haven't got anything seriously wrong so you can emigrate to Canada in good health and not be a burden to them?
Does it really cost £1000 to have a medical in the UK, and if it does is that per person?
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Jaynie is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Hello,

We go for our medicals on 20 Jan, its £145.00 medicl and £45.75 for x rays and there is 3 of us. The lady at the surgery said if we wern't on any long term medication or had any real problems that we should already know off "Its really just a formality then" at which my husband said "flippin expensive formality" or words to that effect.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Mr B paid either £90 or £110 - we can't remember which. That was in Glasgow, and included an instant on-site x-ray. From calling round, it seems that those DMPs without an on-site x-ray charged a lot more - I guess because they had to send you some place else, pay the x-ray owners a fee and then make some for themselves on top.

It's worth calling round all the DMPs in your area, we noticed quite a variation in fees/speed of appointment...etc.

Good luck

Biiiiink
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:52 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zider
We just had our medicals, over £200 each in Bristol (slightly cheaper for 12 yr old)
We could have had them done in Harley St London cheaper than here
But by the time I fill the car up, park in London and pay congestion charge I'm better off staying here..........over £800 worse off tho!! :scared:
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:58 am
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weener
Wow!!! :scared:

I haven't even thought about medical costs and to be honest am not even sure whats invloved. I thought it was just a simple medical to check up you haven't got anything seriously wrong so you can emigrate to Canada in good health and not be a burden to them?
Does it really cost £1000 to have a medical in the UK, and if it does is that per person?
Simple check-up I think not!!
Blood tests
Urine tests
Eyesight
Ears
Spine
Reflexes
Chest x-ray
HIV test
a million and one questions
a bloody great bill
.......................and now, the wait to make sure we're all OK.
Personally I think this wait is worse than the long wait for meds request
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by bananahammock
We just had our medicals, over £200 each in Bristol (slightly cheaper for 12 yr old)
We could have had them done in Harley St London cheaper than here
But by the time I fill the car up, park in London and pay congestion charge I\'m better off staying here..........over £800 worse off tho!! :scared:
I think we paid around AED 2,000.00 in Dubai to have them done. That works out at GBP300.00 for 2 adults and 2 children in total.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Simple check-up I think not!!
Blood tests
Urine tests
Eyesight
Ears
Spine
Reflexes
Chest x-ray
HIV test
a million and one questions
a bloody great bill
.......................and now, the wait to make sure we're all OK.
Personally I think this wait is worse than the long wait for meds request
When did you have your meds done. I was told its about 12 weeks from meds to visa if everything ok so shouldn't be too long a wait. (thats from London CHC)
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 9:33 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jaynie
When did you have your meds done. I was told its about 12 weeks from meds to visa if everything ok so shouldn't be too long a wait. (thats from London CHC)
Anyone have a clue what it costs in Switzerland or Germany???
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:09 pm
Bristolish expat

Hi Jaynie
London CIC also
We had ours done on Dec 30th, Doc says because of the bank holidays it
would take at least 10 days to get everything together (x-rays done elsewhere) so I assume CIC will recieve meds early this month, they have also asked for the right of landing fee (I think thats what its called)........back to waiting again I suppose
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

newbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nice

My doctor in India charged me Rs. 4500 approx equal to $100 only
for 2 of us.
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Hi Jaynie
London CIC also
We had ours done on Dec 30th, Doc says because of the bank holidays it
would take at least 10 days to get everything together (x-rays done elsewhere) so I assume CIC will recieve meds early this month, they have also asked for the right of landing fee (I think thats what its called)........back to waiting again I suppose
Did they tell you how the meds went or if they could forsee any problems?
Going by what someone told me you should have your visas by end of april.
Have you got a house to sell or anything? Where are you going?
We are going to stay with family for a short time in Whitby Ontario, we have 2 dogs to take that will have to be kenneled so if possible we want to find our own place as soon as possible. Our aunt thinks we might have problems renting with dogs so I am panicking a bit, I cant leave them they are my children.
Perhaps we could meet up or something, Im very directionally challend but dont think were too far apart. Let me know how you get on. How many of you are there? there are 3 of us 2 adults 1 child of 13 and 2 cute springers.

Jaynie
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:07 am
Bristolish expat

Did they tell you how the meds went or if they could forsee any problems?
Going by what someone told me you should have your visas by end of april.
Have you got a house to sell or anything? Where are you going?
We are going to stay with family for a short time in Whitby Ontario, we have 2 dogs to take that will have to be kenneled so if possible we want to find our own place as soon as possible. Our aunt thinks we might have problems renting with dogs so I am panicking a bit, I cant leave them they are my children.
Perhaps we could meet up or something, Im very directionally challend but dont think were too far apart. Let me know how you get on. How many of you are there? there are 3 of us 2 adults 1 child of 13 and 2 cute springers.

Jaynie

Hi again Jaynie

I've sent you a private message