rip off britain...re medicals

Old Jan 2nd 2005, 4:59 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: dorset
Posts: 109
zider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rip off britain...re medicals

cost of our medicals in England would be over a thousand pounds I was quoted by calling several doctors, in Seattle we could do it for $900, well we did them in BC for $500 Canadian dollars...about 200 pounds ten and six in old money...what does that say about England? Just shop around....
zider is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 7:49 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 251
weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Originally Posted by zider
cost of our medicals in England would be over a thousand pounds I was quoted by calling several doctors, in Seattle we could do it for $900, well we did them in BC for $500 Canadian dollars...about 200 pounds ten and six in old money...what does that say about England? Just shop around....

Wow!!! :scared:

I haven't even thought about medical costs and to be honest am not even sure whats invloved. I thought it was just a simple medical to check up you haven't got anything seriously wrong so you can emigrate to Canada in good health and not be a burden to them?
Does it really cost £1000 to have a medical in the UK, and if it does is that per person?
weener is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:08 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Shropshire England
Posts: 41
Jaynie is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Hello,

We go for our medicals on 20 Jan, its £145.00 medicl and £45.75 for x rays and there is 3 of us. The lady at the surgery said if we wern't on any long term medication or had any real problems that we should already know off "Its really just a formality then" at which my husband said "flippin expensive formality" or words to that effect.
Jaynie is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:35 am
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Biiiiink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Windsor, ON; Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,713
Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Mr B paid either £90 or £110 - we can't remember which. That was in Glasgow, and included an instant on-site x-ray. From calling round, it seems that those DMPs without an on-site x-ray charged a lot more - I guess because they had to send you some place else, pay the x-ray owners a fee and then make some for themselves on top.

It's worth calling round all the DMPs in your area, we noticed quite a variation in fees/speed of appointment...etc.

Good luck

Biiiiink
Biiiiink is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:52 am
  #5  
Bristolish expat
 
bananahammock's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
Posts: 1,699
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Originally Posted by zider
cost of our medicals in England would be over a thousand pounds I was quoted by calling several doctors, in Seattle we could do it for $900, well we did them in BC for $500 Canadian dollars...about 200 pounds ten and six in old money...what does that say about England? Just shop around....
We just had our medicals, over £200 each in Bristol (slightly cheaper for 12 yr old)
We could have had them done in Harley St London cheaper than here
But by the time I fill the car up, park in London and pay congestion charge I'm better off staying here..........over £800 worse off tho!! :scared:
bananahammock is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:58 am
  #6  
Bristolish expat
 
bananahammock's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
Posts: 1,699
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Originally Posted by weener
Wow!!! :scared:

I haven't even thought about medical costs and to be honest am not even sure whats invloved. I thought it was just a simple medical to check up you haven't got anything seriously wrong so you can emigrate to Canada in good health and not be a burden to them?
Does it really cost £1000 to have a medical in the UK, and if it does is that per person?
Simple check-up I think not!!
Blood tests
Urine tests
Eyesight
Ears
Spine
Reflexes
Chest x-ray
HIV test
a million and one questions
a bloody great bill
.......................and now, the wait to make sure we're all OK.
Personally I think this wait is worse than the long wait for meds request
bananahammock is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 2:41 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 790
Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Originally Posted by bananahammock
We just had our medicals, over £200 each in Bristol (slightly cheaper for 12 yr old)
We could have had them done in Harley St London cheaper than here
But by the time I fill the car up, park in London and pay congestion charge I\'m better off staying here..........over £800 worse off tho!! :scared:
I think we paid around AED 2,000.00 in Dubai to have them done. That works out at GBP300.00 for 2 adults and 2 children in total.
Majj is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 9:14 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Shropshire England
Posts: 41
Jaynie is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Simple check-up I think not!!
Blood tests
Urine tests
Eyesight
Ears
Spine
Reflexes
Chest x-ray
HIV test
a million and one questions
a bloody great bill
.......................and now, the wait to make sure we're all OK.
Personally I think this wait is worse than the long wait for meds request
When did you have your meds done. I was told its about 12 weeks from meds to visa if everything ok so shouldn't be too long a wait. (thats from London CHC)
Jaynie is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 9:33 pm
  #9  
keep checking....
 
mhhp's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: was Switzerland/Germany now BC Canada
Posts: 1,440
mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Originally Posted by Jaynie
When did you have your meds done. I was told its about 12 weeks from meds to visa if everything ok so shouldn't be too long a wait. (thats from London CHC)
Anyone have a clue what it costs in Switzerland or Germany???
mhhp is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:09 pm
  #10  
Bristolish expat
 
bananahammock's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
Posts: 1,699
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Originally Posted by Jaynie
When did you have your meds done. I was told its about 12 weeks from meds to visa if everything ok so shouldn't be too long a wait. (thats from London CHC)
Hi Jaynie
London CIC also
We had ours done on Dec 30th, Doc says because of the bank holidays it
would take at least 10 days to get everything together (x-rays done elsewhere) so I assume CIC will recieve meds early this month, they have also asked for the right of landing fee (I think thats what its called)........back to waiting again I suppose
bananahammock is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 10:12 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 167
newbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nicenewbee is just really nice
Default Re: rip off britain...re medicals

My doctor in India charged me Rs. 4500 approx equal to $100 only
for 2 of us.
newbee is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 11:48 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Shropshire England
Posts: 41
Jaynie is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Hi Jaynie
London CIC also
We had ours done on Dec 30th, Doc says because of the bank holidays it
would take at least 10 days to get everything together (x-rays done elsewhere) so I assume CIC will recieve meds early this month, they have also asked for the right of landing fee (I think thats what its called)........back to waiting again I suppose
Did they tell you how the meds went or if they could forsee any problems?
Going by what someone told me you should have your visas by end of april.
Have you got a house to sell or anything? Where are you going?
We are going to stay with family for a short time in Whitby Ontario, we have 2 dogs to take that will have to be kenneled so if possible we want to find our own place as soon as possible. Our aunt thinks we might have problems renting with dogs so I am panicking a bit, I cant leave them they are my children.
Perhaps we could meet up or something, Im very directionally challend but dont think were too far apart. Let me know how you get on. How many of you are there? there are 3 of us 2 adults 1 child of 13 and 2 cute springers.

Jaynie
Jaynie is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:07 am
  #13  
Bristolish expat
 
bananahammock's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
Posts: 1,699
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rip off britain...re medicals

Originally Posted by Jaynie
Did they tell you how the meds went or if they could forsee any problems?
Going by what someone told me you should have your visas by end of april.
Have you got a house to sell or anything? Where are you going?
We are going to stay with family for a short time in Whitby Ontario, we have 2 dogs to take that will have to be kenneled so if possible we want to find our own place as soon as possible. Our aunt thinks we might have problems renting with dogs so I am panicking a bit, I cant leave them they are my children.
Perhaps we could meet up or something, Im very directionally challend but dont think were too far apart. Let me know how you get on. How many of you are there? there are 3 of us 2 adults 1 child of 13 and 2 cute springers.

Jaynie


Hi again Jaynie

I've sent you a private message
bananahammock is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.