Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Right then - getting started - how?

Right then - getting started - how?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

alya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant future
Smile Right then - getting started - how?

Hi i am new to this forum today but hubby and I are considering a move and we both want to go to Canada - BC or somewhere near the mountains.

He is under the impression we need to get all our debts paid off in this country before we do ANYTHING about moving abroad (that will take approx 5 years).

I told him i think its time to start the ball rolling as it takes times - didnt realise it is a 5 year wait until today - what did people do who are in the process - what was the 1st step?

Obviously i know we cant go over there in loads of debt, but i think ( i maybe wrong) that if we can get the majority paid a couple of visa cards wont be such a prob. I would really appreciate any help or pointers in the right direction as i really dont know what to do 1st.

5 years seems such a long time, i am so itchy to get going, we dont have kids yet altho we are ttc, so really dont want to take old kids away from grandparents.

Sorry its such a rant, am very confused!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Right then - getting started - how?

Originally Posted by alya
Hi i am new to this forum today but hubby and I are considering a move and we both want to go to Canada - BC or somewhere near the mountains.

He is under the impression we need to get all our debts paid off in this country before we do ANYTHING about moving abroad (that will take approx 5 years).

I told him i think its time to start the ball rolling as it takes times - didnt realise it is a 5 year wait until today - what did people do who are in the process - what was the 1st step?

Obviously i know we cant go over there in loads of debt, but i think ( i maybe wrong) that if we can get the majority paid a couple of visa cards wont be such a prob. I would really appreciate any help or pointers in the right direction as i really dont know what to do 1st.

5 years seems such a long time, i am so itchy to get going, we dont have kids yet altho we are ttc, so really dont want to take old kids away from grandparents.

Sorry its such a rant, am very confused!
Sounds like you have two strands of thought that need more information....

So start here for the immigration......

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...an_Immigration

and here for debt sorting type stuff.....

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan

You may not have problem debts but it is stopping you get where you want to go and it's best to get stuff sorted before you have expensive littl'uns!

Plus debt is like weight gain, easy to add, difficult to lose and it's best to have support for both!!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Right then - getting started - how?

No great mountains to speak of though some, especially in Cape Breton but Nova Scotia has a Community Identfied Stream which is about 15 months (for us anyway).