Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

right thats it im going to calgary

right thats it im going to calgary

Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

fatpantsss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default right thats it im going to calgary

hi everyone, been a bit of time since i have posted a thread, just would like little help with some questions.
anyway bit a bought myself, im a carpenter by trade and i am married wanting to move to canada.
anyway i have recently found out that i dont need a lmo anymore because of my trade is in short supply in alberta, which is great all i need is a letter of employment from a registered company and if i can get alberta to recognize my trade i can get a work permit.
thing is finding it hard to get employment online as think they think im not serious and all that.
so was thinking of traveling on my own on a holiday visa to find employment, as it shows im more serious if im there( i think).

my questions are can i apply for work permit when i find job there, or do i have to leave and re-enter? am i allowed to look for work on a holiday visa?
can my wife join me later on when i get work permit? or does she have to apply separately ?
can i rent a flat on holiday visa? buy car insure it etc? on holiday visa?

cant think of any other questions at the moment but would like to thank all in advance who can help me.
thanks
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: right thats it im going to calgary

Yes you can look for work on a holiday visa, and your wife can accompany you.

There's no rules against renting a flat or buying a car whilst on a tourist visa, although is it really worth committing to a contract and spending thousands on something if you're not sure you'll be able to stay? What if you can't find a job offer or get your Red Seal?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

it also takes weeks, if not months, to get AAIT to recognise your qualifications and without that you can't get your work permit.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

hi thanks for reply's,
well i was going to take a loan out so i can support myself temporally, and make it a 6 month visit, so hopefully i could find a job and get accredited by then, to get my work visa, then go down pr way later.
am defiantly going to go for it, as work is int great here, although im working, wages have been really bad the last 4 years, and canada, especially alberta seem to be desperate for trades, so think i get work easy and pay the loan off ( even earn better money ) so can pay it off easier, i have no other dept so i think it will be manageable.
just hope their is as much work out their as it seems.
can i apply to attit before i get employment contact? and how do i get their details been looking everywhere on net for it?
thanks again
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

AAIT not attit, sorry mistake
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

look here, you should find all you need to know.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...n-workers.aspx

Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

yeh thanks, i have already check that link out before and when you clkick aait, it comes up with error page, i have even google it and not coming up with much joy
thanks again
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatpantsss
yeh thanks, i have already check that link out before and when you clkick aait, it comes up with error page
It takes you to an error page on the website, but it gets you to the website at least.

Try here - http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

yeh thanks, i have already check that link out before and when you clkick aait, it comes up with error page, i have even google it and not coming up with much joy
thanks again
when I get home from work i'll dig out my paperwork and get you on you on the right track
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

thanks to all, got those some info from those threads thanks, still going through it as i speak, getting bit stuck on my trade (carpenter), as on website alberta website it says i need to get approved by aait if dont want to go down lmo route, then i look at what skilled trades need to be certified, and carpentry dosent fall in it, well confused
must of missed something some where, anyway found a subscription info thing on one off those links.
thanks to you both been well appreciated.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

you need to apply for the pilot scheme if you don't want an LMO.
which I think ends at the end of june or july, so you need to be quick
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

try this link

http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/exper...n-certificate/

looks like your option 2, but obviously check before applying.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:41 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

can i rent a flat on holiday visa? buy car insure it etc? on holiday visa?
This bit is nuts, especially getting a loan to take on additional financial commitments. Most landlords want a 12 month commitment, plus a job reference or proof you can pay the rent. Buying a cheap car may be OK if you can junk it if you don't get accepted, the insurance is what will be the killer.

What about medical coverage?

Could you even get conventional financing for such a venture anyway?

If you give immigration a hint you are going to set yourself up as if living in Canada, you may not even get past the airport.

Worst case, you get turned down for immigration and all you have to show for it is a pile of debt, maybe more than when you started out.

I would suggest careful planning and a 'plan b'

Carpentry does not need to be certified, however if you want to find employment as a skilled tradesman you would need to pass the trade certification exam through trade secrets. This is a Red Seal endorsed trade. Without a journeyman certificate you would likely get jobs as a laborer or carpenters helper.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 31st 2013 at 3:43 am.