Ridiculous Question

Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice
Default Ridiculous Question

Hi everyone!

We have an AOR of Jul 05 so are expecting to hear from CIC anyday now (although am not holding my breath - just in case!).

My ridiculous question is this (please don't laugh at me for being so stupid!): when you have your medicals - are tattoos mentioned at all. Do they document how many you have and where etc....? Am thinking of getting another one - but will hold off if this will be an issue.

Thank you
Batfink
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

ecepaul is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ridiculous Question

I had my medicals done in November at Croydon, tatoos were never mentioned, I really don't think there is a problem with having another one.

Good luck, you should be hearing soon!!!

Paul
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

Fabulous! Thank Paul.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batfink
Fabulous! Thank Paul.
I hope you're getting a Maple Leaf tattooed on your butt?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:18 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe it's a problem. As someone who has resided in the UK you are ineligible to give blood in Canada anyway, so I don't see that it can make a difference.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

When we were phoning around looking at the best/easiest/cheapest place to get our medicals done - some of the clinics were asking about tatoos and piercings - saying that you would have to have extra blood tests. I would enquire at the clinic you go to for their take on it.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
I don't believe it's a problem. As someone who has resided in the UK you are ineligible to give blood in Canada anyway, so I don't see that it can make a difference.
That's wrong isn't it really - my OH gives his blood every six months and really enjoys doing it (I think he is a sadist - either that or he likes little P****ks!!) I would of liked to have thought that the blood bank would be a bit like UK and always need topping up? If you have all the tests and everything proves OK why can't you give blood then?
L
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:04 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikelesley
That's wrong isn't it really - my OH gives his blood every six months and really enjoys doing it (I think he is a sadist - either that or he likes little P****ks!!) I would of liked to have thought that the blood bank would be a bit like UK and always need topping up? If you have all the tests and everything proves OK why can't you give blood then?
L
If you've lived in the UK for more than a few months they don't let you donate due to the risk of CJD transference. There's quite a few western European countries that fall into the same category for the CBS. Full details below.

http://www.bloodservices.ca/centreap...9?OpenDocument
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

Wow! 3 months cumulative?! Some Canadians I know have been on holiday to England for longer than that!

This seems like exactly the reason why the blood service struggles.

How real is the risk??
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:17 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

If you've lived in the UK for more than a few months they don't let you donate due to the risk of CJD transference. There's quite a few western European countries that fall into the same category for the CBS. Full details below.

The Canadian Blood Service almost imploded a few years ago after a serious issue with contaminated blood being used for transfusions (Hepatitis C, I think?), as a result of which there was a massive loss of confidence in the whole system. Since then, they've been careful almost to the point of paranoia about whose blood they will accept. Ben's link gives specifics on the CJD restriction that stops Brits giving blood - there are a bunch more exceptions here

It really bugs me - I was a regular donor in the UK but am not eligible to give blood here at all.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

That's fair enough, and I'm glad to be off the hook truth be told... but what bothers me is why I can't donate in the UK - I received a transfusion myself. So they're *that* confident in the blood you receive that they don't let you donate again?? Not inspiring, is it?!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:18 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ojmurphy
Wow! 3 months cumulative?! Some Canadians I know have been on holiday to England for longer than that!

This seems like exactly the reason why the blood service struggles.

How real is the risk??
Vanishingly small. But it's not the real risk the CBS is worried about, it's the perception of risk on the part of the ill-informed public. That's a whole different number
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

I'm shaking my head because that's what I thought.

I had previously been very supportive of the CBS through my work, but I really think I will reconsider that if they're excluding regular British donors for no other reason than public misconception of risk.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:55 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
That's fair enough, and I'm glad to be off the hook truth be told... but what bothers me is why I can't donate in the UK - I received a transfusion myself. So they're *that* confident in the blood you receive that they don't let you donate again?? Not inspiring, is it?!
It depends, I think. When I got back from visiting my-then gf in the US, they said I had to wait 4 weeks before giving blood again. That was in Edinburgh.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:04 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ojmurphy
I'm shaking my head because that's what I thought.

I had previously been very supportive of the CBS through my work, but I really think I will reconsider that if they're excluding regular British donors for no other reason than public misconception of risk.
You'd have thought that after a certain amount of time, they'd allow UK-citizens-now-resident-in-Canada to donate.

I'm really disappointed because giving blood was a big part of my life in the UK - made me feel like I was making a contribution to my community - and because the public's got the wrong-headed idea that *everyone* from the UK, or has ever visited there, is at risk from CJD. Give me strength.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.