Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Reviews of Canadian Immigration Lawyers in UK

Reviews of Canadian Immigration Lawyers in UK

Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reviews of Canadian Immigration Lawyers in UK

Originally Posted by Pram SG
Hey Olideans

I would like to know if you used Sterling or did it yourself. I am just about to start and am Also thinking of using Sterling or Visa2canada

If anyone else has used them please give me some feed back

Thanks
Top tip: you can look at a forum members previous posts by clicking on their username. It seems the OP didn't use any consultant (various posts from him asking about questions on the forms).

But perhaps others have used one of the companies and can give you some advice. Bear in mind though, that most people on the forum have straightforward circumstances and so don't use a consultant to help them, those that do use a consultant are fairly rare on here.

Best of luck and welcome to BE.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

olideans is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pram SG,

I used them to go over my application at the end, but not to do it for me. Which route for application are you taking?
If it is quite a straight forward one like common-law/spouse, then there's a good argument for not needing a lawyer: they are expensive and all they really do is tell you what to fill in and when to have it in by. You still have to fill it all in.
There is also a fairly good argument for using them, depending on your situation: if you are really busy and an easily stressed person (I am), and you have the money to spare, it may be worth it. It will take a lot of potential nerve shredding moments off your hands.
Be careful who you choose though. I am pretty sure that Sterling are the only properly accredited lawyers to do this in the UK (I may be wrong).
They need to be ICCRC and/or CAPIC regulated, I believe. So look for those on the website.
The times I did use Sterling (I think I had 2 phone consultations for various things), the lawyer, Harjit, was excellent! He really knows his stuff and is really helpful and reassuring. The latter is something you quite often need during this process.
I hope that helps to answer your question.
Any more questions, happy to help.
Oli.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

PramSG .......

If you have read this thread, you will see that the general advice is that you do NOT need to use an immigration lawyer or company.

It is easy enough to do it yourself, unless you have some weird very complicated mess such as 3 divorces.

Employing an immigration company only means that you pay out big bucks over and above the large amount it will cost you anyway, and you have to do all the work such as collecting documents, finding the information. A company cannot get you entry into Canada unless you are acceptable.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Jimbosam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
This is a great chat, very helpful.
I see that Ontario lowered the points for IT skilled people in June. Does anyone know what the requirement became, or did they just waive it entirely?
Thanks very much
J
Old Nov 8th 2017, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbosam
Hi
This is a great chat, very helpful.
I see that Ontario lowered the points for IT skilled people in June. Does anyone know what the requirement became, or did they just waive it entirely?
Thanks very much
J
They never said, just said those 'below 400' would be considered if eligible under the Human Capital Stream and if working in one of the eligible occupations. Note though that the announcement was made on 28th June (and the list of occupations then published a week or so later), and the Human Capital Priorities Stream was suspended less than a month later. It's been the standard 400 points or over for all occupations ever since I believe.

Better than the Masters stream though, which announced it was reopen for applications on 12th October and then closed again when full........later that same day!

HTH.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks very much for your reply. Shame I missed it! Will enter the Express Entry pool for Jan and hopefully they will do it again.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 6:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi

Thanks very much for your reply. Shame I missed it! Will enter the Express Entry pool for Jan and hopefully they will do it again.
What are you scoring?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What are you scoring?
Hi
Am scoring 383, am over 40 so losing points for being older basically.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 7:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi
Am scoring 383, am over 40 so losing points for being older basically.
Ah, ok. What is your FSW score?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, ok. What is your FSW score?
I score 78 under Express Entry for FSW
Old Nov 9th 2017, 7:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I score 78 under Express Entry for FSW
That's very high for a CRS score of 383, are you sure your CRS score isn't higher?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Hi
Yes, whilst I score points for having a degree, years of senior experience in NOC category 0, I am 42 and have no job offer as yet, and with little French skills. So I'm trying to find a good route in, looking at QIIP or Ontario Entrepneur
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi
Yes, whilst I score points for having a degree, years of senior experience in NOC category 0, I am 42 and have no job offer as yet, and with little French skills. So I'm trying to find a good route in, looking at QIIP or Ontario Entrepneur
In which case I think your FSW points might be wrong? Assuming the following -

24 for language (assuming 'little French' doesn't mean A Level or above, so no points for that)
21 for education
15 for experience
5 for age

= 65??

Where have you got the extra 13 points from? Just wanting to double check as something isn't adding up somewhere!

Another option for you to look at (although it does depend on your points above, let's check you're eligible to enter the EE pool first) is the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 9th 2017 at 11:11 am.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Apologies, I just ran it again and it's 73 not 78.

I get the following points

Age - 10
Education - 20
Experience- 21
Language - 16
Second language - 2
Wife's education- 4
Total = 73

Thanks
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I forgot to thank you for suggesting the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program, will take a look.
Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.