Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing / Meeting time requirements for PR

Landing / Meeting time requirements for PR

Old Nov 13th 2017, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

shaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really nice
Default Landing / Meeting time requirements for PR

Originally Posted by shaman
Hi, I am having the same trouble, I have had quotes for a 20 foot Container, part house move, one started at over £6000, it's slowly going down in price, still not happy, can anyone reccomend a reasonable priced container+shipping to Manitoba from Yorkshire. Last question how long have you got till you move to Canada, I have all paperwork done passed, been to Canada had all I am going to take passed, PR delivered to my Address in Canada, thank you for your help.....
(copied from original thread)

Thank you Lancastrian for your reply, the question I was trying to find out, is how long does a PR have to move to Canada from the UK. I have read they have to live in Canada 2 years out of 5, it will take me nearly a year to sell, sort out All affairs here, then get things sorted out there for a smoothies move.... thank you...

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 13th 2017 at 3:36 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:18 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping company is driving me mad! Please help!

Thank you Lancastrian for your reply, the question I was trying to find out, is how long does a PR have to move to Canada from the UK. I have read they have to live in Canada 2 years out of 5, it will take me nearly a year to sell, sort out All affairs here, then get things sorted out there for a smoothies move.... thank you...
Let's say you do your landing on 1 December 2017, next month. Your "clock" starts ticking at that point.

You have until 30 November 2022, 5 years, to accumulate 2 years of residency (730) days.

In theory, then, you could wait 3 years to move, and then just not leave the country at all for the remaining two years.

There's no "deadline" to move, as long as on 30 November 2022 you have been present in Canada for 2022 days.

You could never actually "move", but come and go many times over that 5 year period, and as long as all your visits to Canada cumulatively give you 730+ days, you'll be able to renew your PR after your 5 years are up.

So if you need a year to sell your property and wrap things up, that's fine.

(In our case, we landed Dec 2012, did a two-week trip in June 2013, and moved permanently in Sept 2013, 9 months after the initial landing.)
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Dave_Pardew is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shaman, once you've received your confirmation of permanent residency documents (COPR), you MUST land at a port of entry in Canada (eg airport) within a year of the date of your medical, or before your current passport expires, whichever comes first. Once you land and have a short interview and get your COPR signed by the officer and then by you, your PR process is complete. You can then settle or return to the UK and begin closing up your affairs here.

My wife and I had our medicals done on the 20th January 2017. We received our COPR on 16th October, so we have to enter Canada before 20th January 2018. We're flying to Vancouver next month, once our documents are signed and our Goods to follow form stamped, we'll spend a week mooching around Vancouver and then return to the UK. We're planning our shipping and settling for around March 2018.

Hope that helps bud

Last edited by Dave_Pardew; Nov 13th 2017 at 1:21 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:23 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave_Pardew
Hi Shaman, once you've received your confirmation of permanent residency documents (COPR), you MUST land at a port of entry in Canada (eg airport) within a year of the date of your medical, or before your current passport expires, whichever comes first. Once you land and have a short interview and get your COPR signed by the officer and then by you, your PR process is complete. You can then settle or return to he UK and begin closing up your affairs here.

My wife and I had our medicals done on the 20th January 2017. We received our COPR on 16th October, so we have to enter Canada before 20th January 2018. We're flying to Vancouver next month, will spend a week mooching around and then return to the UK. We're planning our shipping and settling for around March 2018.

Hope that helps bud
Yes, I completely forgot to address this aspect. Landing and moving are two different things.

When you receive your COPR, it will have an expiry date on it. You have to *land* by that date, not *move* by that date.

To add to our timeline in my previous post, my husband's COPR was granted in August 2012 with an expiry in December 2012 (his medical was done in December 2011). We landed 4 days before the COPR expiry in December 2012, and didn't actually permanently move until September 2013.

Hopefully that all answers your question!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

shaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really niceshaman is just really nice

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Yes, I completely forgot to address this aspect. Landing and moving are two different things.

When you receive your COPR, it will have an expiry date on it. You have to *land* by that date, not *move* by that date.

To add to our timeline in my previous post, my husband's COPR was granted in August 2012 with an expiry in December 2012 (his medical was done in December 2011). We landed 4 days before the COPR expiry in December 2012, and didn't actually permanently move until September 2013.

Hopefully that all answers your question!
Hi I have my permanent residence card, all paperwork finished, landed in March this year stayed for a month, I understand I have a while before I move to Canada, to live permanently, could you tell me how long I have before I must move, 2 years living in Canada out of 5, regards......
Old Nov 13th 2017, 2:52 pm
Concierge

Hi I have my permanent residence card, all paperwork finished, landed in March this year stayed for a month, I understand I have a while before I move to Canada, to live permanently, could you tell me how long I have before I must move, 2 years living in Canada out of 5, regards......
OMG.

Okay.

You landed in March 2017.

You have until March 2022 to accumulate 730 days in Canada. So far you have ~30 (1 month). So you need another 700.

You can do that in visits, or you can do that in a move, or whatever.

There is no "deadline" to move as long as you have another 700 days physically in Canada between now and March 2022.

You could come to stay for 6 months, go back to theUK for a year, come for another 6 months, go back for a year, then move permanetnly and that would satisfy your 730+ days.

You could wait until March 2020 to move, and then just don't leave the country at all for 2 years and that would give you your 730+ days.

You could move tomorrow, stay for two years, and then move back to the UK. You still have 730+ days.

There is no "deadline" as much, just a minimum number of days requirement.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing / Meeting time requirements for PR

I've split your questions regarding meeting the requirements to retain PR to it's own thread as it has nothing to do with the original posters thread about moving companies.

It's always better to start your own thread if you have questions, rather than tacking onto another post, that way you will get the answers you need.