Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Returning to Canada with PR card in maiden name

Returning to Canada with PR card in maiden name

Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Returning to Canada with PR card in maiden name

We're going to the UK in October. At the minute my passport and PR card is in my maiden name. DH has booked the return flight (one way) in my married name. His thinking was that I would go to the Passport Office in person in the UK to get a new passport (current one expires in March) in my married name. I have now realized I won't have enough time to apply for a change of name on my PR card (current processing time is 131 days). As I will have my old passport, marriage certificate and birth certificate on me when I fly back will I have any problem with Customs that the PR card won't match the name on my passport do you think? Thanks
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to Canada with PR card in maiden name

Originally Posted by MegSnow
We're going to the UK in October. At the minute my passport and PR card is in my maiden name. DH has booked the return flight (one way) in my married name. His thinking was that I would go to the Passport Office in person in the UK to get a new passport (current one expires in March) in my married name. I have now realized I won't have enough time to apply for a change of name on my PR card (current processing time is 131 days). As I will have my old passport, marriage certificate and birth certificate on me when I fly back will I have any problem with Customs that the PR card won't match the name on my passport do you think? Thanks
There should be no problems with CBSA. I doubt the airline will give you any grief if ticket is in your married name and PR card in your maiden name if they ask to see it. So just for arguments sake what if you don't get a new passport in the UK?
The ticket will be in a different name to your passport. So who is at fault him for booking the ticket or you for allowing him to book it?
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

I would check with the airline - you may have issues if the names don't match.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Doubtful, this happens many times with newly weds going on honeymoon. Not a lot of time between the nuptials and jumping on a plane for some. Some marry overseas and travel one way in one name, and back in another.

Certs as back up should make it a breeze.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 2:24 am
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
As Aviator said, not a problem as long as you have your marriage cert to back it up... happens all the time :-)
Old Aug 26th 2015, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, has put my mind at rest. Both of our faults really as DH was hacked off with the fact that my passport was in my maiden name after 9 years and it cost $80 to courier our son's passport back to the UK to my old boss to verify the photos and sign the declaration and it was my fault in that I knew back in May I needed to the change the name on my PR card and just never got round to it!
Old Aug 26th 2015, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought which is nothing directly related to your question but it reminded me what I did all those years ago: when I eventually changed my passport to my married name, I kept my maiden name as my middle name (I didn't have one). Everything was very easy. I just filled in the application forms as they were: no extra paperwork and over the years it has helped generally with stuff that was still my maiden name. No idea what it would be like to do something similar now especially with issues over identity checks, fraud etc. or how it would impact on changing over your Canadian paperwork or even if you want to do this!

I did it primarily because I lacked a middle name and because I wanted to keep my first surname as part of me.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 26th 2015 at 5:22 am.