Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Returning to Canada - Passport not stamped

Returning to Canada - Passport not stamped

Old May 26th 2005, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

spas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to Canada - Passport not stamped

Hi All,
I am a PR and I travelled outside Canada last month for the first time. I returned this week. I arrived in Toronto and did customs in the airport. I handed my PR card to the person behind the desk along with my passport. He returned both and I later realized that my passport hadn't been stamped. I'm worry that my return to Canada hadn't been registered. My questions are:

a) Is there any way to check if my return was registered?
b) Has anybody had a similar experience?
c) Is it normal that passports are not stamped at the airport?

Thanks
Old May 26th 2005, 11:19 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to Canada - Passport not stamped

As a PR you won't have passport stamped anymore when returning to Canada. But it is your burden to keep evidence and be able to prove when asked that you met your residency obligations.

Originally Posted by spas
Hi All,
I am a PR and I travelled outside Canada last month for the first time. I returned this week. I arrived in Toronto and did customs in the airport. I handed my PR card to the person behind the desk along with my passport. He returned both and I later realized that my passport hadn't been stamped. I'm worry that my return to Canada hadn't been registered. My questions are:

a) Is there any way to check if my return was registered?
b) Has anybody had a similar experience?
c) Is it normal that passports are not stamped at the airport?

Thanks
Old May 26th 2005, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

spas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Andrew for your quick reply. You mean that I should keep the boarding passes and the ticket? Or what do you mean by evidence?
Old May 26th 2005, 11:57 pm

Not evidence of your travel - evidence of being in Canada for at least 730 days in 5 years period to keep your status and/or evidence of being in Canada for 1,095 days in 4 years period if you plan to apply for citizenship when eligible.

Boarding passes can only (if at all) prove that you were in Canada on the day plane landed here, nothing more.

You need to keep your school attendance or employment records, utility bills, band and credit cards statements showing you were using them in Canada in claimed days, and any other conclusive evidence demonstrating that you were here.

Originally Posted by spas
Thanks Andrew for your quick reply. You mean that I should keep the boarding passes and the ticket? Or what do you mean by evidence?
Old May 27th 2005, 12:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
As a PR you won't have passport stamped anymore when returning to Canada. But it is your burden to keep evidence and be able to prove when asked that you met your residency obligations.
Surely they will stamp the passport if asked to?

Jeremy
Old May 27th 2005, 12:15 am

Yes, they will, but stamps in passport prove only that person was in Canada on the day of stamp, nothing more.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Surely they will stamp the passport if asked to?

Jeremy
Old May 27th 2005, 1:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Yes, they will, but stamps in passport prove only that person was in Canada on the day of stamp, nothing more.
All part of a dossier of evidence though, together with overseas passport stamps.

Realistically, no-one who's *living* in Canada should have any problem proving that fact and where someone clearly meets the 730 day mark by a long way (as most people living in Canada will), no-one is going to worry about days here or there.

Although for those who are marginal on the 730 days due to spending a lot of time away from Canada, such evidence may be the difference between keeping and losing PR.

Jeremy