Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Returning to Canada before receiving our PR cards - is the PRTD really necessary?

Returning to Canada before receiving our PR cards - is the PRTD really necessary?

Old Mar 5th 2016, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

mimicapes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to Canada before receiving our PR cards - is the PRTD really necessary?

Returning to Canada before receiving our PR cards - is the PRTD really necessary? and went around the flag pole, then returned to our old residence in France to pack up and sell up , having been assured that our permanent residents' cards would arrive in 90 days to my daughter's home in Toronto and she could then forward them to us. On this basis, we purchased our round trip tickets back to Canada since we have to return here, in any case, to finalize our affairs. The cards have not arrived and we are worried.

We are unable to find out the processing time for the Permanent Resident Travel Documents at the Canadian Embassy in Paris and are fearful that if we send the application (which requires our passports!), the PRTD may not be approved in time for our departure to Canada end of April. It was suggested on this forum in February that we will be able to board the plane since we have round trip tickets which means the airline is in no danger of having to pay any expenses of sending us back if that need should arise. However, Former Lancastrian stated that we would still need eTAs (if "posing" as tourists) after March 15th. (We know that this is purely to protect the airlines and that the Cdn border officials don't care as long as we have our COPR.)

Today I saw a paragraph on the CIC help centre site, to whit: "Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents are not eligible to apply for an eTA. However, from March 15, 2016 until fall 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport." (Feb 5, 2016)

If we travel as tourists without eTAs, it seems our passports will be sufficient. Is that correct? Help!
Old Mar 5th 2016, 8:15 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to Canada before receiving our PR cards - is the PRTD really necessary?

Some years ago returning to Canada from the UK I discovered that I had picked up my wife's PR Card by mistake, the officer smiled/smirked and directed me to immigration, who asked me a couple of simple questions, looked me up on their computer, and let me in with no problems.

I have always found Canadian border officers to be be very pleasant and reasonable, i'm sure as long as you are pleasant and reasonable with them they will reciprocate.

Last edited by MB-Realtor; Mar 5th 2016 at 8:20 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to Canada before receiving our PR cards - is the PRTD really necessary?

Originally Posted by mimicapes
Returning to Canada before receiving our PR cards - is the PRTD really necessary? and went around the flag pole, then returned to our old residence in France to pack up and sell up , having been assured that our permanent residents' cards would arrive in 90 days to my daughter's home in Toronto and she could then forward them to us. On this basis, we purchased our round trip tickets back to Canada since we have to return here, in any case, to finalize our affairs. The cards have not arrived and we are worried.

We are unable to find out the processing time for the Permanent Resident Travel Documents at the Canadian Embassy in Paris and are fearful that if we send the application (which requires our passports!), the PRTD may not be approved in time for our departure to Canada end of April. It was suggested on this forum in February that we will be able to board the plane since we have round trip tickets which means the airline is in no danger of having to pay any expenses of sending us back if that need should arise. However, Former Lancastrian stated that we would still need eTAs (if "posing" as tourists) after March 15th. (We know that this is purely to protect the airlines and that the Cdn border officials don't care as long as we have our COPR.)

Today I saw a paragraph on the CIC help centre site, to whit: "Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents are not eligible to apply for an eTA. However, from March 15, 2016 until fall 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport." (Feb 5, 2016)

If we travel as tourists without eTAs, it seems our passports will be sufficient. Is that correct? Help!
1. You are not tourists you are PRs
2. You need a valid PR card or PRTD.
3. How you choose to travel back is on you and if you get back no problem without PR card, PRTD or with or without eTA.

Im sorry if I sound abrupt Im sick of answering this question because the boarding of the aircraft is the problem area and each airline does it differently.
Of course you could choose to fly into the USA with a valid ESTA and have friends pick you up or drive yourselves.
Many have done it without a PR card or PRTD when flying back to Canada so its your decision how you proceed.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with FL: there are two things going on here: getting on the plane/entering Canada.

the question is: will you be allowed to board the flight to Canada without a PR card? No one can tell you the answer, even though it seems there will be flexibility with regard to the requirement for eTA for visitors for a few months. I would not assume that just because there will be flexibility with the eTA for a visitor, that means a PR can travel back without a PR card.

Once you arrive in Canada (at the airport or the land border) you should not try to enter as a tourist.

If you cross the land border with the US in a private vehicle, a PR card is not mandatory.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 5th 2016 at 10:51 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Some years ago returning to Canada from the UK I discovered that I had picked up my wife's PR Card by mistake, the officer smiled/smirked and directed me to immigration, who asked me a couple of simple questions, looked me up on their computer, and let me in with no problems.

I have always found Canadian border officers to be be very pleasant and reasonable, i'm sure as long as you are pleasant and reasonable with them they will reciprocate.
With respect what happened "some years ago" is not necessarily what is going to happen these days.

As others have pointed out, the biggest issue with a lack of PR card is boarding the plane. I passed through Heathrow a couple of weeks ago on the way to Vancouver and they had non-airline staff checking passports and status in Canada. I am sure that if I was a PR without a PR card, I would have been denied boarding.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
1. You are not tourists you are PRs
2. You need a valid PR card or PRTD.
3. How you choose to travel back is on you and if you get back no problem without PR card, PRTD or with or without eTA.

Im sorry if I sound abrupt Im sick of answering this question because the boarding of the aircraft is the problem area and each airline does it differently.
Of course you could choose to fly into the USA with a valid ESTA and have friends pick you up or drive yourselves.
Many have done it without a PR card or PRTD when flying back to Canada so its your decision how you proceed.
I sympathize with your impatience, Former Lancastrian, and thank you for your reply and thanks to all those who took the time to respond.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mimicapes
I sympathize with your impatience, Former Lancastrian, and thank you for your reply and thanks to all those who took the time to respond.
I wish to add the recent sad developments to this thread. In an effort to track our PR cards, my daughter in Toronto contacted the CIC Helpline. The agent verified and advised that the cards had been mailed on 26 Feb....but to the wrong address. My daughter dashed to that address and the occupant advised her that the envelope had been returned to sender. The agent said it would take an additional 6 weeks for our cards to be 'redelivered'!! So our cards are out there, somewhere, but CIC seems unwilling to make any effort to correct their mistake by expediting the redelivery. Unconscionable, really. We immediately faxed a "Solemn Declaration" to the PR Centre in Nova Scotia stating that we had never gotten our cards and explaining the circumstances and the urgency but are unable to find out what the PR Centre will do now. Does anybody have information on this? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

CIC only mail PR cards to addresses in Canada which you supply to them so Im wondering how they sent it to a wrong address unless you either moved and didn't update the address or the CIC officer didn't check the mailing address if you had moved and sent it to the previous address.
All you can do is wait and hope CIC resend to the correct address.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
CIC only mail PR cards to addresses in Canada which you supply to them so Im wondering how they sent it to a wrong address unless you either moved and didn't update the address or the CIC officer didn't check the mailing address if you had moved and sent it to the previous address.
All you can do is wait and hope CIC resend to the correct address.

Right street, one wrong digit in the house number...that is all it took to drop us back into the bureaucratic labyrinth that we thought we had finally escaped. We will survive this, but we will never forget it! Thanks for the support, Former Lancastrian.