RETURN TO CANADA

Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:23 am
Just Joined

deborah24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RETURN TO CANADA

we became permanent residents in june 2009 but decided to return to scotland in october 2013 big mistake, so we have decided to try and return to nova scotia but our PR card expired in july 2014.i have looked on the cic website and it says i can apply for a PR travel document and then apply for new PR cards on return to canada.has anybody used this way to return to canada and how long does it take.we have bought a house back in the uk and would need to sell this ,i have looked at the forms online and it asks for a canada address which we do not have,can anybody help
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RETURN TO CANADA

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Do you not have any friends that you could have the PR card mailed to? Then you could just apply to renew and have them send it on to you.

Do make sure that you're back in Canada to meet your residency obligations, if you've decided you've made a mistake by leaving then the last thing you'd want is to lose your PR status! If you get back soon though, then you should be fine assuming you were in Canada the whole time between landing in 2009 and leaving in 2013.

Good luck.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:25 am
Just Joined

i do not think i could do that maybe i just have to put our house on the market and see how it goes then apply for the pr travel document and hope for the best
Old Aug 31st 2015, 6:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deborah24
i do not think i could do that maybe i just have to put our house on the market and see how it goes then apply for the pr travel document and hope for the best
It's perfectly possible, CIC just won't send a PR card to a non Canadian address, but it's fine to use a friends address. But if you'd prefer then you can apply for the travel doc.

I wouldn't wait for your house to sell before moving back personally though, you don't really have the luxury of time if it doesn't sell straight away! Plenty of people on the forum have sold their houses from Canada, and then you won't be cutting it fine to keep your PR status, or be unable to leave Canada for 2 years if you do cut it too fine.

Good luck.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 2:13 am
Just Joined

you seem to know a lot about this ,how long do you have to wait for PR travel document the form says when do you intend to travel so do not know how soon i can put down
Old Sep 1st 2015, 2:23 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I wouldn't wait for your house to sell before moving back personally though, you don't really have the luxury of time if it doesn't sell straight away! Plenty of people on the forum have sold their houses from Canada, and then you won't be cutting it fine to keep your PR status, or be unable to leave Canada for 2 years if you do cut it too fine.
We sold a house in the UK from here with no issues. It was not on the market when the OH left the UK, we did it all form here.

They probably need to be looking to get back to Canada within the next 6 months to have some travel leeway and keep PR.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Aviator and Christmasoompa: it really is worth bearing all these points in mind. Although you meet the 730 days residency requirement now, when you come to apply for your new PR (when you get back to Canada), officers are only allowed to consider the 5 years immediately pre-dating your application. Unless my maths is way off, if you remain in the UK for another year, say, you are in difficult territory (you left Canada in October 2013). So agree: the sooner you make the move the better.

Agree also: It's very easy to sell a house from here.

S