Retiring to Canada?

Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:04 am
Just Joined

cmk03 is on a distinguished road
Default Retiring to Canada?

Hi,

My parents who are devastated by our decision to leave have now decided they would like to join us in a few years when they retire. My Mum was really upset when she a friend told her that you need at least £250,000 to retire to Canada, is this true?

Does anyone know what the situation is with parents who wish to retire to Canada? (We are thinking of Vancouver if that makes a difference).

Thanks!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:18 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Canada?

There is no retiree category in Canadian immigration program anymore, it has been closed ages ago.

But if you are Canadian PR or citizen, reside in Canada and your income qualifies you to sponsor parents then you can do it - you will be financially responsible for them for 10 years after they land. Process will take 5 to 8 years.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks, do you know approx how much money it would take to sponsor them? And any idea why it takes so long? I thought the PR was long at 5 years!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

And any idea why it takes so long?
Because it's primarily a way for the Canadian government to buy immigrant votes, and Canadians don't want to have to pay for expensive healthcare for people who've never contributed a penny in taxes?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:32 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

my mom is worried sick that when we leave for canada this summer she will be on her own as my brothers only contact her when they want something ie once a year.my sis calls a lot but my mom does not really get on with my sis.we asked her to join us in canada but she is worried about health care ect and not wanting us to have to pay for her expenses .her brother has been over there for nearly 50 years and would love his sister to join him as they are the only two left out of a family of 13.we are buying a property with land and hopefully a cottage for inlaws so she can join us.how does it go with oap moving to canada.we would pay for her medical needs if we had to with out her knowing if poss.any info would be a good help
kate
Old Mar 12th 2007, 1:09 pm

Start with Guide from here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/family.html

Currently processing time to approve sponsor in parents sponsorship cases takes over 2.5 years and after 2007 it will take quite longer when temporary 2-years increase of annual quota to 18,000 visas for sponsored parents goes down to 6,000 per year. Add to it 2 to 4+ years of PR visa process.

Why that long? Because of low annual quota which will only be lower in the future as no country with universal health care can afford taking in elderly who never contributed and will likely not contribute to the economy. And because 60% of new immigrants (out of 250,000 new immigrants per year) come from countries where it is obligation of children to take care of parents, thus they all sponsor parents as soon as eligible.

Originally Posted by cmk03
Hi,

Thanks, do you know approx how much money it would take to sponsor them? And any idea why it takes so long? I thought the PR was long at 5 years!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 2:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
as no country with universal health care can afford taking in elderly who never contributed and will likely not contribute to the economy.
Unless you make migrating parents pay a financial contribution as part of the visa process, as Australia does.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:03 pm

Unfortunately it is not easy to do the same here as our Charter of Rights will have to be changed to allow for what Australia did. But majority of Canadians (including immigrants) favor some kind of limitations/restrictions imposed on sponsored parents and grandparents, other than annual quota. So, let's hope something will happen here too.

In the meantime our system is abused by substantial number of Canadian PR who never had any intentions to move to Canada, who live and work in US, but fraudulently claim living in Canada just to sponsor their parents to Canada as they (1) cannot sponsor them to US yet or ever and (2) they cannot afford health care for their parents in US.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 7:18 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

thank Andew
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help! I guess the sooner we get in the sooner we can help them.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately it is not easy to do the same here as our Charter of Rights will have to be changed to allow for what Australia did.
Why is that? How can imposing a higher fee on a visa applicant who is neither a Canadian citizen nor permanent resident go against the Charter?

Once parents have paid their one-off fee (about AUD30k) and migrate to Australia, they are eligible for the same healthcare and social services as anyone else.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 1:28 pm

Because some opponents (mainly Liberals and NDP's) of such change claim that it would me a discrimination as Charter provides equal rights to everybody, citizens and PR's.
Old Mar 13th 2007, 5:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

Because some opponents (mainly Liberals and NDP's) of such change claim that it would me a discrimination as Charter provides equal rights to everybody, citizens and PR's.
The changes to the Australian parent visa system were delayed for about 5-6 years due to the power opposition parties held in the Senate.

The difference (compared to Canada) is that when the Senate blocked the government's reforms in the first instance, the government quite openly announced that parent migration would be cut to a trickle (500 visas a year) until the Senate changed its mind. The deadlock was eventually broken in 2003.