Wikiposts

Retiring to Canada

Old Oct 13th 2004, 9:53 pm

ram1005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Retiring to Canada

Forgive me if I get any of this wrong - I'm new to this stuff.

I am looking to emigrate to Canada in about 12 months time with my wife and baby girl. I should be okay for the points - I get 80 points without a job to go to and have plenty of works experience and a PhD in Chemistry.

My question is: We want both our mothers (the fathers have both died and there is no family left in the UK) to come with us. But they cannot come out at the same time, and would want to travel some 6 months later. Does the fact they are bringing a pension with them and capital from the sale of their houses count for anything. I cannot seem to find any info on retirement there.

Sorry if it's a dumb question. Anyone any ideas. Thanks
Old Oct 13th 2004, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

StephenD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Canada

Hi,

The CIC Family Class section would probably be the best place to start
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:54 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ram1005

I am looking to emigrate to Canada in about 12 months time with my wife and baby girl. I should be okay for the points - I get 80 points without a job to go to and have plenty of works experience and a PhD in Chemistry.

My question is: We want both our mothers (the fathers have both died and there is no family left in the UK) to come with us. But they cannot come out at the same time, and would want to travel some 6 months later. Does the fact they are bringing a pension with them and capital from the sale of their houses count for anything. I cannot seem to find any info on retirement there.

I take it you mean apply in 12 months..not land

Once you are here as a landed PR you are entitled to sponsor them to come. I dont think their assets are of any value immigration wise, unless they want to start a business! There was a retirement class a long time ago, but not anymore.

Are you aware that any UK state pension will be frozen (no inflationary increases). Also I'm not sure how easy it will be to get health insurance to cover an older person either, to cover the stuff the state system doesnt, like drugs etc. Another consideration is they will have to leave behind a lifetime of friends and aquantainces. Could be a bad case of culture shock for them. Have you talked to them about it?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 3:34 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You will have to sponsor both mothers after you are eligible to do so - when after becoming a Canadian PR you reach a minimum income required (as per LICO table) within 12 months or less prior to filing sponsorship application. They may of course come and visit you, but won't be able to stay as visitors for too long. Entire sponsorship process will take about 2 years if their PR application will be processed in London.

Originally Posted by ram1005

Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:06 pm

ram1005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. It confirms what I had assumed but wasn't sure of. Both of the mothers are keen to go (one has long lost relatives out there and the other has just had it with the UK.). We're due to start the official application after our next holiday there in April 2005.

Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:11 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You will have to sponsor both mothers after you are eligible to do so - when after becoming a Canadian PR you reach a minimum income required (as per LICO table) within 12 months or less prior to filing sponsorship application. They may of course come and visit you, but won't be able to stay as visitors for too long. Entire sponsorship process will take about 2 years if their PR application will be processed in London.
Andrew, do the same rules apply for sponsoring a wife within a few months from becoming a PR in Canada? I will still have a job in the US (same employer for the last 5 years) after moving to Canada. Is there a period of time that a new PR have to wait before applying to sponsore a wife?
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:28 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

No, there is no minimum period required to wait when sponsoring spouse. But with income coming from US eployment you will have difficulties complying with evidence requirement if you start process shortly after landing as you won't have any Canadian tax asssessment yet. Also remember that in such circumstances (US employment) your residency in Canada will be in doubt (as there is a lot of fraud by those who live in US and have no intention to move to Canada but apply for Canadian PR only to later sponsor family members) and you will have to conclusively prove it.

Originally Posted by MJ23
Andrew, do the same rules apply for sponsoring a wife within a few months from becoming a PR in Canada? I will still have a job in the US (same employer for the last 5 years) after moving to Canada. Is there a period of time that a new PR have to wait before applying to sponsore a wife?
Old Oct 15th 2004, 3:40 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
No, there is no minimum period required to wait when sponsoring spouse. But with income coming from US eployment you will have difficulties complying with evidence requirement if you start process shortly after landing as you won't have any Canadian tax asssessment yet. Also remember that in such circumstances (US employment) your residency in Canada will be in doubt (as there is a lot of fraud by those who live in US and have no intention to move to Canada but apply for Canadian PR only to later sponsor family members) and you will have to conclusively prove it.
Thanks Andrew! Eventhough this is not what I wanted to hear, but it makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate your way of not giving people false hope like many lawyers who I have dealt with in the past. Everything is rosey until they receive the minimum fee, and then the truth starts to come out!

Thanks again Andrew!