Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Retired father with an assault caution

Retired father with an assault caution

Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:23 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retired father with an assault caution

Hii

I won't bore you with all the details but basically my dads a respected chinaman in the health profession that married a typical "<snip>" secretary wag (the sort of english woman/person I feel compelled to apologise for when I visit europe) and last year she called the cops after a verbal arguement and claimed assault. It's a total joke as my brother was in the house and my dad was brought up with the fierce chinese indoctrine of morals that would, simply put, leave wife beating out of his scope of reality (the chinese having that "shame our family and we'll disown you" kind of methodology)

Anyway he got taken to a cell with the WAG in toe with no mark whatsoever on her. In the cell my father, a reserved chinaman scared out of his life at the thought of being in prison simply signed a release form which stated he was being cautioned. He knows now he should've called a lawyer and refused to sign anything. He even consulted with a lawyer to get it removed but the lawyer basically said "if you'd called me before you'd signed that release you wouldn't of got it. But to try to take this to the high courts with your signature on the paper....I like you too much to take your money."

Anyway long story short I've been begging him to sell his 5 bed house in a backwater town an hour outside of London and come retire in Nova Scotia. He's seriously considering it as it means me and my brothers and my pa can all fish, hike, water raft and all that good stuff over NS but I'm afraid his "caution" in wife battering will prevent him.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 25th 2011 at 3:26 pm. Reason: profanity removed
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retired father with an assault caution

First question - how is he planning on moving to NS i.e. what visa? Might be a moot point if he's not even eligible.

And what exactly was he cautioned for?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:26 pm

Assault I believe.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zRichi
Assault I believe.
OK, and what visa route? If he's retired getting a visa could be the tricky bit.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:32 pm

I'm not entirely sure on the visa route if I'm honest. He's not retired at the moment... he retires as of Jan 2012 but he'll be looking to emigrate next year. After he sells his 3 properties I guess he'll have around a million £'s but no doubt that'll get hacked in half in the upcoming divorce.

Currently manages a ward in a hospital.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:38 pm

Oh can I have my thumbs down thing removed please? As my stupid comp did a dupe.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by zRichi
I'm not entirely sure on the visa route if I'm honest. He's not retired at the moment... he retires as of Jan 2012 but he'll be looking to emigrate next year. After he sells his 3 properties I guess he'll have around a million £'s but no doubt that'll get hacked in half in the upcoming divorce.

Currently manages a ward in a hospital.
I think you need to focus on this first. He won't have enough for an investor visa, if he's retired he'll struggle to get a work permit, etc. Can't see any obviously route to a visa from what you've said unless he could do the NS PNP (Community Identified Stream) or you could sponsor him for PR, but that's a long way off I guess. Sorry for the personal question, but how old is he?

Will attempt to take your thumbs down off the post, but have to confess I have no idea how to do it! Will give it a go.