Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Residency? Landed Immigrancy? or what??

Residency? Landed Immigrancy? or what??

Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

vicy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency? Landed Immigrancy? or what??

Hi, i could really do with some help! I came over to Canada in October to be with my partner (who is Canadian). I am here on a holiday visa, but living here, and have decided that i want to stay for a couple of years at least.. or longer.

I own my own business at home, of which I am the director, which provides my income, and I manage it from Ontario, but I don't know what I need to apply for. I'm not sure if I need a work permit, as I might want to get a job in the future, but do not have a job here now, nor do i intend to apply for a job in Canada or work here for a while, as I am doing a variety of short courses here.

Or do i apply for residency? I dont exactly have the $400000 cash needed, but do have sustainable income every week. I also have a large amount of skills and experience etc.

I looked at the Canadian gov site, but not much help! Can anyone advise me what to do? My visa runs out April 15th, and I dont want to be booted out the country! But I do want to stay here as a resident.

Last edited by vicy1; Jan 25th 2005 at 2:39 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Residency? Landed Immigrancy? or what??

You can'nt apply for workpermit. Your employer will get it for you.

I think Canadian immigration website is very informative.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/

Go to this page and Self Assessment tool will provide you all information you need.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi, i actually own my own business, I am my own employer and it is based in the UK not Canada - any more advice?
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vicy1

Hi, i could really do with some help! I came over to Canada in October to be with my partner (who is Canadian). I am here on a holiday visa, but living here, and have decided that i want to stay for a couple of years at least.. or longer.

I have a business at home which provides my income, and I manage it from Ontario, but I don't know what I need to apply for. I'm not sure if I need a work permit, as I might want to get a job in the future, but do not have a job here now, nor do i intend to apply for a job in Canada or work here for a while, as I am doing a variety of short courses here.

Or do i apply for residency? I dont exactly have the $400000 cash needed, but do have sustainable income every week. I also have a large amount of skills and experience etc.

I looked at the Canadian gov site, but not much help! Can anyone advise me what to do? My visa runs out April 15th, and I dont want to be booted out the country! But I do want to stay here as a resident.
Few questions to help answer your question.

1. Are you allowed to work as part of this holiday visa? If not, then why are you working?

2. Would you class your Canadian partner as your common-law husband? i.e. can you show you have been living together for at least 12 months. Or do you plan to get married in the immediate future? If so then you might be able to apply via the family route.

3. If not then you will have to go down the skilled worker route, which can take up to 2+ years, and you wouldn't be granted a 2 year extension to your holiday visa so you would have to go home... This is providing you meet the passmark of course, take the CIC online self assessment to see if you would qualify:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi.

I am not allowed to work as part of my Visa, I am just simply managing my business by phone and internet from canada, I am not as such "working" here. All my pay, tax etc is in the UK.

Will have a look at skilled worker route, but didn't want to work full time here, as I have to manage the business which takes a lot of time, wherever i am.

Thanks for advice anyway!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

Even after becoming Canadian Resident , you are not required to work full time . You can sit home all the time if you have enough money to support yourself. Does'nt matter what route you take Skilled worker, Marriage Sponsorship or Refugee Asylum. Only requirment is that you stay in Canada 2/5 years to maintain Residency status and 3/4 years if you want to become Citizen.

Last edited by orazone; Jan 25th 2005 at 2:58 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou! I have just been looking at the skilled worker application for residency. Thanks for your useful advice, that's just what I wanted to know
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:05 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vicy.

First thing to do is apply for an extension to your visitor visa before it runs out. Takes about 6 weeks IIRC.

If I was you I would go the spousal sponsorship route, its the quickest way, and you would be entitled to a work permit after approval in principal is granted. There are no financial requirement, you just have to prove that your relationship with your partner is genuine etc.

I am not sure what the status of any income you earn while directing your company from canada is. I would look into that very carefully, not just cos of the tax implications, but also because if it is considered to be "working in canada", then it could have serious implications for any residency application as you are doing it on a visitors visa. Studying on a visitor visa is also a no-no, thats what study permits are for!

Information regarding spousal / commonlaw partner sponsorship is easy to find at CIC website, not sure why you were having problems.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/index.html
I suggest you start there and come back here with any questions.

Good Luck

Iain

Originally Posted by vicy1

I own my own business at home, of which I am the director, which provides my income, and I manage it from Ontario, but I don't know what I need to apply for. I'm not sure if I need a work permit, as I might want to get a job in the future, but do not have a job here now, nor do i intend to apply for a job in Canada or work here for a while, as I am doing a variety of short courses here.