Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Residency Determination Processing time

Residency Determination Processing time

Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:25 am
Just Joined

j4s0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Residency Determination Processing time

Well, hopefully we won't have any trouble getting the actual PR card. I thought by going through the determination process we now have confirmation of her status, and that was the whole point of that process. It seems odd to me that we could effectively be made to go through it again at the PR card application stage. Surely they would look at her file and see a recent determination has already been made, and the reasons why she was given residency status?

Anyway, we are currently booking flights for around a month's time. Once we're out there we'll apply for the PR card and I'll weight up my options for getting PR. Long term, if I'm successful in getting PR as well then we'll be looking at applying for citizenship.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

harris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Did she get any letter or other indication from CIC stating exactly why they came to the decision they did? An important and interesting position for some others in this situation.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harris
Hi, Did she get any letter or other indication from CIC stating exactly why they came to the decision they did? An important and interesting position for some others in this situation.
I doubt it. But it would be important to keep all documentation in case it was challenged later on.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

j4s0n is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, sorry I haven't responded sooner.

To answer your question, no, we did not recieve any feedback from CIC regarding their decision. What actually happened was that we sent all the travel document forms back (thinking the determination process would revoke PR status) and then they phoned my girlfriend and said she may have a case for retaining PR.

On the phone they asked about my GF's situation; they seemed most interested in the fact that she has been in full time education since returning to the UK, the fact she is a recent graduate and she would be travelling and living in Canada with me, a graduate with industry experience. They also asked about her brother who is a Canadian citizen living in the UK, who my GF has been living with since she returned.

The guy then phoned her back an hour later and said he'd spoken to his supervisor and that they felt he had a good case. She was then asked to send a letter detailing her education/work/living situation.

From what I've read on here it seems the fact that she was in full time education and she is trying to return immediately as a graduate is the important factor. Despite the fact she was living with the brother, who is a Canadian citizen, I don't think this has any bearing on the case as the determination process only seems to consider parent/child relationships.

Jason.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It does appear that if you were a permanent resident as a child and apply to return to Canada as soon as possible as an adult, that there may be some chance. But also, luck may play a part in the process.