Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Requirments for applying as an employer for an LMO

Requirments for applying as an employer for an LMO

Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road
Default Requirments for applying as an employer for an LMO

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone has any experience applying for an LMO as the employer? I have my own (smaller) business and am currently in the process of expanding. I would love to hire my brother as he is 100% competant, I know how he works and he taught me years ago! I was fairly familiar with the skilled worker process from a few years ago but I am led to believe it's overgone an overhaul. I have read through the LMO section for employers and it basically says all I need is a business number and some other info. It doesn't state if I need a certain amount of employees, a certain yearly income for the business etc. I am also aware that it may be frowned upon or looked at as dodgy that I would be attempting to hire my brother. Although it would be 100% legitimate, I just want to make sure the application is water tight. I will have a serious read through it all now, just looking for some general feed back.

Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requirments for applying as an employer for an LMO

Originally Posted by canglish
I have read through the LMO section for employers and it basically says all I need is a business number and some other info.
Is this the 'other info' you're referring to?

"All new employers to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) must provide a copy of their business licence or permit to show that they are authorized to do business in the province/territory where the TFW will be working.

Depending on the business, new and returning employers may also be required to submit one or more of the following documents:
•Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) documents, including:
◦T4 Summary of Remuneration Paid
◦ Schedules 100 and 125 of the T2 Corporation Income Tax Return (for corporations only)
◦ T2125 Statement of Business or Professional Activities (for sole proprietorships/partnerships)
• business contracts for goods and/or services;
• provincial/territorial documents, such as: workplace safety and insurance (e.g. workers compensation board) clearance letter, or other appropriate documentation;
• attestation by a lawyer, notary public or chartered accountant confirming that the business exists and the main activity of the business."

When you advertised the job, did you get any Canadians applying? I'd expect your application to be scrutinised very closely as you're wanting to hire a relative. It is a job that has a shortage of people that can do it?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Requirments for applying as an employer for an LMO

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Is this the 'other info' you're referring to?

"All new employers to the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) must provide a copy of their business licence or permit to show that they are authorized to do business in the province/territory where the TFW will be working.

Depending on the business, new and returning employers may also be required to submit one or more of the following documents:
•Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) documents, including:
◦T4 Summary of Remuneration Paid
◦ Schedules 100 and 125 of the T2 Corporation Income Tax Return (for corporations only)
◦ T2125 Statement of Business or Professional Activities (for sole proprietorships/partnerships)
• business contracts for goods and/or services;
• provincial/territorial documents, such as: workplace safety and insurance (e.g. workers compensation board) clearance letter, or other appropriate documentation;
• attestation by a lawyer, notary public or chartered accountant confirming that the business exists and the main activity of the business."

When you advertised the job, did you get any Canadians applying? I'd expect your application to be scrutinised very closely as you're wanting to hire a relative. It is a job that has a shortage of people that can do it?
Yes exactly what I was looking forward, just found it literally 2 minute ago...thank you!

Yes I have 2 Canadians currently working for me and have been looking for a 3rd to join the team. I (so far) haven't found anyone who comes close to the level of finish and quality I strive for...brother fits the bill perfectly. I am sure in the eyes of the government that there are Canadians available...but in the construction world its very hit and miss as far as quality, dependability, loyalty and customer service goes. I guess it's basically my word against there's when I say they aren't any suitable candidates. I had to go through the same process for my LMO a few years back. The guy I was working for advertised and basically said every applicant he got wasn't good enough and that was good enough for them. I expect it to be a little more challenging for me trying to hire a family member but I guess as long as I show I am a legitimate business and he is qualified then I stand a chance.