Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Requirements for Permanent Residence extension

Requirements for Permanent Residence extension

Old Aug 25th 2019, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

AKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Requirements for Permanent Residence extension

Hello everyone!

As I am sure a lot of the people on this forum will agree, nothing's ever very straightforward and simple. Welcome to my scenario! I'll do my best to explain and hope that you lovely people can shed some light on things for us.

My question is this: Is it possible to maintain permanent resident status in Canada while living out of the country with a Canadian citizen?

Early-2017: My Permanent residence granted for Canada to be with my partner. We moved to Canada, spent nearly 9 months there. We decided it was best for us to move back to the UK for work related reasons. We had to spend some time apart while my partner went through the UK visa process.
Mid-2018~now: Partner granted a visa for the UK! We have been living here ever since. I have visited Canada a handful of times in this period. We both work for a UK company.

It is very unlikely that I will spend the 790 days minimum in Canada over the 5 year period. However, I had read that if I was living with my Canadian-citizen partner, this could contribute towards that minimum quota.

Can anyone please clarify? What should/can I do to maintain my permanent residence in Canada? Our dream situation would be to have freedom of movement to both countries because they are both so amazing! Are we trying to have our cake and eat it? Is this wishful thinking?!

Thanks for any help that anyone is able to offer
Old Aug 25th 2019, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requirements for Permanent Residence extension

Old Aug 25th 2019, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AKB123
Hello everyone!

As I am sure a lot of the people on this forum will agree, nothing's ever very straightforward and simple. Welcome to my scenario! I'll do my best to explain and hope that you lovely people can shed some light on things for us.

My question is this: Is it possible to maintain permanent resident status in Canada while living out of the country with a Canadian citizen?

Early-2017: My Permanent residence granted for Canada to be with my partner. We moved to Canada, spent nearly 9 months there. We decided it was best for us to move back to the UK for work related reasons. We had to spend some time apart while my partner went through the UK visa process.
Mid-2018~now: Partner granted a visa for the UK! We have been living here ever since. I have visited Canada a handful of times in this period. We both work for a UK company.

It is very unlikely that I will spend the 790 days minimum in Canada over the 5 year period. However, I had read that if I was living with my Canadian-citizen partner, this could contribute towards that minimum quota.

Can anyone please clarify? What should/can I do to maintain my permanent residence in Canada? Our dream situation would be to have freedom of movement to both countries because they are both so amazing! Are we trying to have our cake and eat it? Is this wishful thinking?!

Thanks for any help that anyone is able to offer
Yes.

See here:

Can my time abroad count toward my permanent resident status?

Once your current PR card expires (5 years from date of issue), you would need to apply for a multi-trip PRTD to travel back to Canada, to do this, you will have to prove that you have and are living with your Canadian citizen spouse outside the UK. You can only apply for a new PR card from actually WITHIN Canada.

Christmasoompa beat me to it, looks like we were typing at the same time!
Old Aug 26th 2019, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

AKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both @christmasoompa and @hurlabrick very much for your incredibly quick replies! Technically we're not 'travelling' but instead we're living and working in my home country. "you will have to prove that you have and are living with your Canadian citizen spouse outside the UK."

Can you please clarify that it's OK for us to be living in the UK and for my partner to have a spousal visa in the UK? Will that affect anything?

Thanks again!

Old Aug 26th 2019, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AKB123
Can you please clarify that it's OK for us to be living in the UK and for my partner to have a spousal visa in the UK? Will that affect anything?
Yes, perfectly fine. I lived in the UK for 40+ year as a UK permanent resident (Canadian citizen by birth) and then sponsored my British wife for PR in Canada.

Old Aug 26th 2019, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think Hurlabrick’s reply meant to say ‘outside Canada’ but for the avoidance of doubt you keep your PR status as long as you are living with your Canadian spouse. In any country of the world. You can live in a hut in Timbuktu and you’d still not lose it.

If still in doubt, have another read of the links you’ve been given above and the answers you’ve been given when you asked the question on the forum previously. One of the links above is from the ‘horses mouth’ - the CIC website, so is the official answer.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 26th 2019 at 8:38 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think Hurlabrick’s reply meant to say ‘outside Canada’
Ooops! Yes I did - brain going faster than my typing!

Old Aug 26th 2019, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both a million - settled some nerves over here! We really appreciate your help. I hope the folks in the UK visa forums are as helpful 'cause that's where I'm headed for some advice next!

Cheers!