Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Request for IMM 5409 (Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union)

Request for IMM 5409 (Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union)

Old Jun 28th 2017, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Steve_0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Request for IMM 5409 (Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union)

Hey guys,

I am in a predicament. I received my AOR 17th May 2017 FSW-O, applying as single/never married.

I have lived with my girlfriend for only 8months (counting today) so I am not considered common-law. but on my application I recieved a request for further documents for them to continue reviewing my application.

This request was for the IMM 5409 which really confused me.

We have not lived together for 12 months so can't be common law. We do have a join bank account but surely this isnt enough?

The message says:
"Please upload these documents to your MyCIC account by 2017/07/04.
Please note: The above information/documents must be received within 7 days from the date of this correspondence. If this deadline is not met, your application will be assessed based on the information that was provided with your application and your application could be refused."

Should I try and fill in the form? my issue is this would be lying to CIC as by their definition we are not common-law. So i have no idea why they requested this!!!!

Any help would be amazing! Thanks in advance!

Steve
Old Jun 28th 2017, 8:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Request for IMM 5409 (Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union)

I can only assume it's because by the time you come to 'land', you will be common-law - you need to be VERY careful about that and make sure you add her to your application as soon as you are deemed common-law, otherwise you could have PR revoked for misrepresentation.

I would upload a letter explaining that you are not common-law as you haven't lived together for a year or more, but I would also fill in the form as they want in, as some of it will be relevant to you. Just put a 'N/A' in the bits about common-law.

Good luck.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks!

Ill write the form and add some notes before to state that we are not yet formally in a common-law relationship. I might just give them a quick call before too just to see what they are thinking
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_0
Thanks!

Ill write the form and add some notes before to state that we are not yet formally in a common-law relationship. I might just give them a quick call before too just to see what they are thinking
You can't phone them from the UK, but even if you were in Canada their 'help' line is known to be anything but - we call it the 'misinformation line' on here! It's manned by call centre staff with no immi knowledge whatsoever and they're constantly giving out duff information.

Just do a letter to state what you've said above i.e you've not lived together for a year or more so she's not your common-law spouse under CIC's own definition. But do add that you know she needs to be added to your application as soon as you do meet that criteria, and your intention is to do that.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Ahh I see! Hero thanks for all your help!