Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Request for CV from CanadaVisa (David Cohen Immigration Attorney)

Request for CV from CanadaVisa (David Cohen Immigration Attorney)

Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:32 am
Just Joined

miffy85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Request for CV from CanadaVisa (David Cohen Immigration Attorney)

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend received an email this morning from someone at CanadaVisa/Cohen Law Firm asking for his CV to show possible employers interested in his profession.

Just wondering if anyone has received something similar? I assume if we send his CV/Resume it will eventually lead to a bill for fees?!

A bit of background: the boyfriend filled in an online free assessment a few months ago and it was confirmed that his profession is on the list of needed professions...

Thanks!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: Request for CV from CanadaVisa (David Cohen Immigration Attorney)

Miffy,

I'm not sure about CanadaVisa (never used them, although they are popular in their forums at least) but I would be wary of sending anything at this stage if it could lead to big fees.

e.g. you say that "it was confirmed" a few months ago (by that agency?) that his profession is on the list of needed professions but that list is irrelevant for the time being as that program is on hold until the new year:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2012-06-28.asp

Federal Skilled Worker with arranged employment/PhD stream/Temporary work permit routes are still open though.

Last edited by Siphorous; Jul 12th 2012 at 9:43 am. Reason: missed one bit.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:14 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

This is a well-known law firm, also well-regarded. There may be a fee payable but only if you sign a contract for immigration services. It is illegal to charge someone a fee for finding a job for them. They are just adjusting to the present stop work on applications for PR that do not have either a job or PNP approval.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

lovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant futurelovely_clouds has a brilliant future

Hey Miffy,

Jim is absolutely right. It's illegal in Canada to charge fee from applicant for help in finding job. And Cohen Campbell is a Montreal based reputed firm, am sure they will not indulge in such business. They do have a job placement helpline which in my experience has not been pretty active. They might just have a client looking for such profile.

I had a friend who entered into a contract with them, & later had to terminate it. and it was all amicable.

I will suggest that you clarify things with them.

Like Siphorous said - CIC has put a hold on accepting new FSW PR apps till Jan 13. Campbell Cohen might try convince you through the Quebec PNP route. You will have to make your choice, if they do so.