Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

To represent or not to represent...

Wikiposts

To represent or not to represent...

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Mnt4Det is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To represent or not to represent...

Originally Posted by Dave0692
Exactly. We used an accredited representative in Canada, with whom I'm very satisfied. Having said that, I don't believe it gained us a single day or a single point.

I do believe, on the other hand, that it minimised our chances of being rejected out of hand by making sure we had all the relevent supporting documentation, and that it was presented in the right way.

I couldn't believe the degree of detail we had to go into, for instance. We had to dig out bits of long-forgotten paper from all over the place. I have spent less time preparing cases for trial than I spent on our application file. I lost count of the number of amendments and additions that went back and forth to Canada. It drove me absolutely nuts. I couldn't believe that you needed to go into that amount of detail on every single thing.

I wound up eating my words, of course, and our representatives were vindicated when we got our AOR number within a week of submission. I think that is why, statistically, you are better off using a rep. They are less likely to mess up the application by making some fundamental error than somebody doing it for the first time. Hence the importance of selecting an experienced representantive, as covered above.
I think something that has been overlooked here is regardless of timelines, immigration experts have a wealth of experience whereas I, have none, at least in terms of this kind of application.

When someone posts here about their personal experience (wether it be a positive one or not) they can only comment on one single case- their own.
Experts will have dealt with many and therefore to my reckoning are way better placed to offer sound preemptive advice.

I consider myself to be pedantic and thorough, but I lack the experience. Therefore knowing my own situation I feel it's of great value to have representation.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
I clearly explained (unless you only read what you wanted to read) why I don't receive "90 days" letters for my clients. Please read it again and if you still don't understand then ask and I will explain it again.
OK perhaps I don't understand so please explain - I was reading your comment .....

"And as you can see most are getting "delay letters" or "90 days letters" or other requests for missing or updated evidence - all of such requests substantially delay processing and can be quite easy prevented" ....

to mean your clients never receive a “90 days letters” or requests for “updated evidence” as such requests can be "easy prevented" - is this the correct? If it is then this means all your applications, irrespective of when you sent them off, have never be asked for updated police certificates or don’t you call a request for updated police certificates “updated evidence”.

Another comment …
“Representative cannot speed up the process - but a good, experienced one can prepare your case in the way preventing any unnecessary delays and have your visa within shortest reported timelines.”

As the current “shortest reported time lines” here are reporting receiving 90 day letters and/or request for updated evidence (police certificates) after around 2 years of waiting again I wonder how your applications are getting through after approximately 2 years since application on the original police certificate.

If any of your applications have received a request for police updated (updated evidence) then I was correct in my original post.

If none of your applications have received a request for updated police certificates then I stand corrected and would ask the question – what magic wand do you have that ensures all your applications get the green light within the validity period of the original police certificate.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:19 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by macmike41
OK perhaps I don't understand so please explain - I was reading your comment .....

"And as you can see most are getting "delay letters" or "90 days letters" or other requests for missing or updated evidence - all of such requests substantially delay processing and can be quite easy prevented" ....

to mean your clients never receive a “90 days letters” or requests for “updated evidence” as such requests can be "easy prevented" - is this the correct? If it is then this means all your applications, irrespective of when you sent them off, have never be asked for updated police certificates or don’t you call a request for updated police certificates “updated evidence”.

Another comment …
“Representative cannot speed up the process - but a good, experienced one can prepare your case in the way preventing any unnecessary delays and have your visa within shortest reported timelines.”

As the current “shortest reported time lines” here are reporting receiving 90 day letters and/or request for updated evidence (police certificates) after around 2 years of waiting again I wonder how your applications are getting through after approximately 2 years since application on the original police certificate.

If any of your applications have received a request for police updated (updated evidence) then I was correct in my original post.

If none of your applications have received a request for updated police certificates then I stand corrected and would ask the question – what magic wand do you have that ensures all your applications get the green light within the validity period of the original police certificate.
I shouldn't answer a post to Andrew, but I believe that he is like most good consultants/lawyers in that he is proactive. They know when an updated PCC will be needed and obtain it, as well as other documents and send them to the Visa BEFORE they are requested. It is called keeping the file updated.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's not what I implied. I merely agreed with Andrew that a more comprehensive application has a lower risk of additional delay caused by CHC requiring further information/evidence. The misleading part is your interpretation of my post!

We used a lawyer. It worked for us. Every potential immigrant makes their own choice on this.
To quote what you said ..
“....... straightforward and thus faster processing.“

Do not the words "..thus faster processing.." imply that an application prepared by an immigration practitioner will be processed faster than one not prepared by one. I guess we need to understand what ‘processing’ means in this case. I do not disagree that a case prepared by a professional may be easier to sift through but the actual checking/verifying of the information in an application will take the same time – ringing here writing there etc. And as we are dealing with maybe 20-30 check points in an application I guess we are talking about an hour or so faster processing time. So is it really worth the expense of a professional to save an hour? I don’t disagree it may be worth using a professional for peace of mind that the application is a good one but I just can’t see how it can speed up the process.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi
I shouldn't answer a post to Andrew, but I believe that he is like most good consultants/lawyers in that he is proactive. They know when an updated PCC will be needed and obtain it, as well as other documents and send them to the Visa BEFORE they are requested. It is called keeping the file updated.
Then he must be sending them off every few months or so (costs ?) as he can't possible know when one of his applications will be reviewed and it doesn't seem to be any quicker as Andrew himself says he will ...."have your visa within shortest reported timelines." i.e. no quicker than those who do get a 90 day letter asking for updated police certificate and who make up this sites shortest reported timelines.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Then he must be sending them off every few months or so (costs ?) as he can't possible know when one of his applications will be reviewed and it doesn't seem to be any quicker as Andrew himself says he will ...."have your visa within shortest reported timelines." i.e. no quicker than those who do get a 90 day letter asking for updated police certificate and who make up this sites shortest reported timelines.
I think you're falling into the trap here of oversimplifying what is a very complex and bureaucratic process.

Let's assume an applicant has a relatively straightforward application. Once that application has been submitted they become part of the waiting process, which in itself is dictated by a number of factors. Type of visa, current workload, where the application is being made to and from, that's excluding anything relevant to the case itself. Immigration officers are human beings, therefore even when working to a certain criteria, no two individuals will have exactly the same judgment. It's therefore necessary to be aware of everything beforehand, and have a complete overview of how the system works, which let's face it, is not something the layman possesses no matter how many forums you read.

Now imagine your case is not so straightforward, in addition to all the red tape, your case will be scrutinized to the tenth degree and it's highly doubtful that most people would know just exactly what supporting documentation to include in the initial submission, other than obvious stuff.
It's the not so obvious stuff making sure that the immigration officer has more than enough proof on which to base a decision that prevents requests for further information which, on top of normal waiting times, can delay things even further.

I strongly suspect this is where most applicants fall short, and is what Andrew refers to when talking in terms of processing times, it's anticipating things that could go wrong beforehand, amd also keeping a watchful eye ongoing case wise, which one can only achieve from having dealt with numerous cases before.

Put it this way, if someone said there's a lake at the end of a track, and when you get there it might be wide enough to swim, or you may need a boat, the track is 200 miles long and the walk back is all uphill. You can pay a guy £xxx to leave a boat for you just incase, or you can take your chances that you'll swim it and if you need the boat you'll have to walk all the way back to buy the boat and then back again. I guess it would depend on how badly or quickly you wanted across that lake.

Last edited by Mnt4Det; Jan 23rd 2007 at 8:16 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mnt4Det
I think you're falling into the trap here of oversimplifying what is a very complex and bureaucratic process.

Let's assume an applicant has a relatively straightforward application. Once that application has been submitted they become part of the waiting process, which in itself is dictated by a number of factors. Type of visa, current workload, where the application is being made to and from, that's excluding anything relevant to the case itself. Immigration officers are human beings, therefore even when working to a certain criteria, no two individuals will have exactly the same judgment. It's therefore necessary to be aware of everything beforehand, and have a complete overview of how the system works, which let's face it, is not something the layman possesses no matter how many forums you read.

Now imagine your case is not so straightforward, in addition to all the red tape, your case will be scrutinized to the tenth degree and it's highly doubtful that most people would know just exactly what supporting documentation to include in the initial submission, other than obvious stuff.
It's the not so obvious stuff making sure that the immigration officer has more than enough proof on which to base a decision that prevents requests for further information which, on top of normal waiting times, can delay things even further.

I strongly suspect this is where most applicants fall short, and is what Andrew refers to when talking in terms of processing times, it's anticipating things that could go wrong beforehand, amd also keeping a watchful eye ongoing case wise, which one can only achieve from having dealt with numerous cases before.

Put it this way, if someone said there's a lake at the end of a track, and when you get there it might be wide enough to swim, or you may need a boat, the track is 200 miles long and the walk back is all uphill. You can pay a guy £xxx to leave a boat for you just incase, or you can take your chances that you'll swim it and if you need the boat you'll have to walk all the way back to buy the boat and then back again. I guess it would depend on how badly or quickly you wanted across that lake.
Sorry but I disagree. RTFI they are clear or no DIY applicants would ever get through - if you can't understand them or be bothered to search for answers when the situation requires it then I'm afraid you shouldn't be thinking of moving to another country. When you get to Canada you won’t have anyone to do your thinking for you will you?

Re the lake thing, if there are instructions then read them, think things through together with the consequences of your actions and you will succeed or decide not to go. If you want an adventure and so don’t really care what happens along the way then by all means whistle a happy tune, walk the trail and decide which way to go when you reach the lake and you won't be disappointed.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Sorry but I disagree. RTFI they are clear or no DIY applicants would ever get through - if you can't understand them or be bothered to search for answers when the situation requires it then I'm afraid you shouldn't be thinking of moving to another country. When you get to Canada you won’t have anyone to do your thinking for you will you?

Re the lake thing, if there are instructions then read them, think things through together with the consequences of your actions and you will succeed or decide not to go. If you want an adventure and so don’t really care what happens along the way then by all means whistle a happy tune, walk the trail and decide which way to go when you reach the lake and you won't be disappointed.
RTFI? You think it's a f****ing recipe for a cake? Disaster more like.

And I'm glad you can equate a visa process to an 'adventure', what kind<edit>? It's a life changing decision and for some it's make or break, not simply because they 'couldn't get that job in Toronto', but maybe because their relationship depends on it.

You obviously haven't a clue what you're talking about, you think it's as simple putting 2+2 together. The immigration directives are only half the story, they can't possibly list everything that you'll need as each case is unique, and it's not just about research on behalf of the applicant, it's about having knowledge of highly bureaucratic systems and knowing precisely all the pitfalls.

God I envy you, you don't need anyone's help, your life must be perfect, then again you probably have an instruction manual for that too.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jan 23rd 2007 at 12:12 pm. Reason: No personal attacks
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Mnt4Det
RTFI? You think it's a f****ing recipe for a cake? Disaster more like.

And I'm glad you can equate a visa process to an 'adventure', what kind of moron are you? It's a life changing decision and for some it's make or break, not simply because they 'couldn't get that job in Toronto', but maybe because their relationship depends on it.

You obviously haven't a clue what you're talking about, you think it's as simple putting 2+2 together. The immigration directives are only half the story, they can't possibly list everything that you'll need as each case is unique, and it's not just about research on behalf of the applicant, it's about having knowledge of highly bureaucratic systems and knowing precisely all the pitfalls.

God I envy you, you don't need anyone's help, your life must be perfect, then again you probably have an instruction manual for that too.
When did I say I didn’t need help – I ask for it when it’s needed not just to save me thinking my way through a situation.

Again I disagree with your comments – Thousands apply to immigrate to Canada and thousands succeed on their own. How can this be if, as you say, “each case is unique” and you need “knowledge of highly bureaucratic systems and knowing precisely all the pitfalls” to succeed. Makes you wonder if you shouldn’t start using your brain instead of throwing your rattle out of your pram eh.

Anyway well done - you have demonstrated quite effectively how people who lack confidence and can’t be relied to think things through always resort to a slanging match and nastiness when faced with a situation outside their ability to handle.

Don’t bother with a reply to this post as your now on my ‘ignore list’ - that will really pee you off eh.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:31 am
Just Joined

When did I say I didn’t need help – I ask for it when it’s needed not just to save me thinking my way through a situation.

Again I disagree with your comments – Thousands apply to immigrate to Canada and thousands succeed on their own. How can this be if, as you say, “each case is unique” and you need “knowledge of highly bureaucratic systems and knowing precisely all the pitfalls” to succeed. Makes you wonder if you shouldn’t start using your brain instead of throwing your rattle out of your pram eh.

Anyway well done - you have demonstrated quite effectively how people who lack confidence and can’t be relied to think things through always resort to a slanging match and nastiness when faced with a situation outside their ability to handle.

Don’t bother with a reply to this post as your now on my ‘ignore list’ - that will really pee you off eh.
What truly pees me off is your ignorance to other people's situations. You comment with meaningless references to 'brain power' and 'confidence' as if that is enough to guide one through.

Each case is indeed unique, otherwise someone with 3 DUI's applying for an oil rigging job in Alberta, would be asked to provide the same stuff as everybody else.

All I'm saying is in certain cases it may be considered prudent to enlist the help of an expert, not everyone. I know my own situation, you do not, therefore <edit> and keep me in that ignore list, 'eh'.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jan 23rd 2007 at 12:11 pm. Reason: Do not make personal attacks.