Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Reporting of unauthorised representatives

Reporting of unauthorised representatives

Old May 4th 2009, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice
Default Reporting of unauthorised representatives

The Minister of Citizenship and Immigratin, Jason Kenney, announced at a conference on the weekend that action will be taken to "deal" with "unauthorized representatives". New legislative amendments are planned.

I am passing on a "Public Srvice Announcement"

The Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC) is accepting reports concerning immigration scams and the activities of unauthorised rrepresentatives.

I do not propose to involve myself personally in the reporting, but please feel free to e-mail details to [email protected] using the subject line "Ghost Consultants" for your e-mail.

You are asked to include as much information as you can to identify the individual or company, including a copy of their newspaper ad or website if available. CAPIC will compile the input and ensure the information is passed on to the Minster.
Old May 4th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reporting of unauthorised representatives

Originally Posted by Ron Liberman
The Minister of Citizenship and Immigratin, Jason Kenney, announced at a conference on the weekend that action will be taken to "deal" with "unauthorized representatives". New legislative amendments are planned.

The Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC) is accepting reports concerning immigration scams and the activities of unauthorised rrepresentatives.

I do not propose to involve myself personally in the reporting, but please feel free to e-mail details to [email protected] using the subject line "Ghost Consultants" for your e-mail.

You are asked to include as much information as you can to identify the individual or company, including a copy of their newspaper ad or website if available. CAPIC will compile the input and ensure the information is passed on to the Minster.
Hi Ron
Its good to hear they are taking action . I would think many people who have used unauthorized representatives have loss money or paid for services they never received over recent years .
Regards
joinerboy
Old May 4th 2009, 7:39 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Ron Liberman

Is this a turnaround for the Department? They were the ones that said that you can use unregistered consultants for preparing the application, but as long as they did not represent you in front of CIC/CHC that was fine.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Is this a turnaround for the Department? They were the ones that said that you can use unregistered consultants for preparing the application, but as long as they did not represent you in front of CIC/CHC that was fine.
On the IMM5476 (Use of a representative) you can choose the following:

UNPAID CONSULTANTS:
- family member or friend
- member of a non-governmental or religious organization
- member of CSIC
- other

PAID CONSULTANTS:
- member in good standing of CSIC
- a canadian provincial or territorial law society
- the Chambre des notaires du Quebec

(these are the only 3 that are able to ask money for the services).

You can use unregistered consultants as long as you don't pay them as far as I know.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's only to fair to say let's not forget about good honest reps & consultants who provide an envaluable service to those who require help and advice . Plus all the good folk on here who give help and advice for free .
Regards
Joinerboy
Old May 4th 2009, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

It does represent a turnaround. It seems the government intends to introduce new penalties under the Regulations and follow through with changing IP9 and sction 91 of the Act, which will then alter the definition of when immigration representation starts. If people do not charge for immigration advice then presumably that will be fine too, as long as they are not charging for other services in lieu of that i.e. family, friends, charities offering immigratiion advice for free will be allowed. Possibly charities would have to register with the Regulatory Authority to give immigration advice, as I believe is required in the U.K when giving UK immigration advice. Full implementation of this requires that the government introduce new legislation in Parliament, so it may take a while to actually happen, but if and when the relevant legislation is passed it will definitely create disincentives for the "bad boys".

In the meantime I encourage anyone with serious concerns about their representative to forward the information to CAPIC. It ought to help spur CIC on to act sooner as opposed to later.

Last edited by Ron Liberman; May 4th 2009 at 8:52 am.