Replacement of Passport & Visa

Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

SimonAndJuliet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacement of Passport & Visa

Hi,

After a longish battle with paperwork and couriers we finally got our passports back with our immigration visas

Could anyone give us some advice or guidance on what happens if our passports with visas are lost or stolen before we land?

We're planning a 7 week backpack trip around Europe, heading straight back to the uk for 3 days and then flying to Toronto to do our immigration process. Unfortunately this leaves us with little time to sort anything out if are passports are lost or stolen, especially on the visa, as this was applied for through the Vienna office.

Thanks
        Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:38 am
        Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
        Default Re: Replacement of Passport & Visa

Hi,

In answer to your questions, to the best of my knowledge the answers would be:

Would we be able to arrive in Canada on our passports and then get another copy of the visa attached once in the country?

No. You must arrive with your visa at the time of landing.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...d/arriving.asp

Would a colour photocopy of our passports and visas help in the replacement process?

You would need to get a certified copy of your COPR visa - a photocopy wouldn't be enough. Keeping a photocopy of your passport is always a good idea.

It is possible to get copies of certain immigration documents but I am not sure that your COPR is one of them. Check this link out

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ides/5545E.asp

Would it help to go (physically) to the Canadian Embassy in Vienna to get an emergency visa put in our passports?

I do not know if they would be able to replace it quickly, and you would need to land before the original one expired as otherwise you would have to start all over again.

I would strongly suggest you call a Canadian Citizenship and Immigration office to find out if it is possible to replace it under those circumstances.

If you are travelling around Europe you don't need your passports to visit EEC countries. Why not place them in a safety deposit box or leave them with a relative? Other than that, why not apply for a 2nd passport and use that.

After all the troubles you have gone through to gain PR it would be a tragedy if you were to lose your passports.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
        Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:38 am
        BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

If passports are lost, then you need to get replacement passports and then submit them to the Canadian Embassy for replacement visas.

You need to always keep in mind that you must land in Canada within one year of doing your medical.
        Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:56 am
        Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback.

We decided to explore the 2nd passport option, but the criteria for this is strictly for business travel or if you're travelling between countries that have issues with eachother.

As we were looking on the site we managed to find something else that suits perfectly, and might be of benefit to others who are looking at travelling before immigrating.

If you have a British passport you can apply for a UK Identity Card. This card acts the same as a passport and is valid in 29 European countries (full list), thus meaning I can leave my passport at home .

At first glance you might dismiss yourself as not being eligible as the require:
        • live or work in North West England OR
        • Are a 16 to 24-year-old living in London OR
        • Are an airside worker at Manchester or London City Airport

However, the last criteria is have registered your interest in the National Identity Service. This just requires you to fill out an online form and then voila they will send you an application pack.

My OT is Austrian, but we found that she can also get an ID card called a Personalausweis
        Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:22 am
        Just Joined

rifecottage has a brilliant futurerifecottage has a brilliant futurerifecottage has a brilliant futurerifecottage has a brilliant futurerifecottage has a brilliant futurerifecottage has a brilliant future

Hi simonandjuliet can i ask you a quick question where did you get you info on a second passport as i am looking to get one for my wife as she flys for a living and having to send her passport to london to get a visa in it can stop her from working
        thanks paul
        Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:10 am
        BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Both the Personalausweis and the UK National ID card are good for travel throughout the EU.

On the other hand, why are you worried? Very unlikely that you will loose your passports while backpacking in Europe, especially if you take good care of them.

Even if your passports are stolen (e.g. because you think about them while aboard a Rome city bus), the worst case is you have to get new passports and get new Canadian visa entered into the passports. We are doing this right now (passports were lost in the tracked Royal Mail), which is personally annoying and a bit expensive, but at the end of the day we will still end up with the PR visa.
        Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:41 am
        Just Joined

Originally Posted by bewillow

On the other hand, why are you worried? Very unlikely that you will loose your passports while backpacking in Europe, especially if you take good care of them.

Even if your passports are stolen (e.g. because you think about them while aboard a Rome city bus), the worst case is you have to get new passports and get new Canadian visa entered into the passports. We are doing this right now (passports were lost in the tracked Royal Mail), which is personally annoying and a bit expensive, but at the end of the day we will still end up with the PR visa.
        Problem we have is that we will have less than 1 week upon returning from Europe to heading to land in Canada, and as we applied for our visas from the Canadian embassy in Vienna this could take a few days (as well as geting a UK and Austrian passport!).

I guess we're being a bit paranoid as we've never lost or had a passport stolen before, but when we've been waiting so long, even the low risks seem risky!

We also had a few documents go astray with DHL, which we found hard to believe when you end up paying £30-40 to send a few pieces of A4 paper, fortunately not our passports though. Hope the come through ok this time

rifecottage - You can call IPS Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000, though you will need a letter from your employer stating why a second passport is required