Renouncing PR and re-applying

Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

bigblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renouncing PR and re-applying

Hi

I'm in a situation whereby I haven't fulfilled by PR residency obligations (2 years out of 5) and will probably officially renounce my PR as there's no prospect of getting back to Canada any time soon.

Does anyone know if there is minimum period I have to wait before I can re-apply to emigrate to Canada?

Thanks for your time.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Kanukki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renouncing PR and re-applying

I don't believe there is any minimum period. I was in a similar situation (albeit unbeknownst to myself; I had lived in Canada ~20 years ago as a minor, and had received PR status at the time). I sent in the required forms to CIC in London to renounce my status, and received confirmation that I was no longer a PR about a week later. My new PR application proceeded smoothly from there onwards, and my COPR is in the post as we speak.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Kanukki, that's good news. I'd like to re-enter the Provincial Nominee Programme, but don't want any 'baggage' like trying to appeal my PR status. If anyone knows any willing sponsors in BC or Ontario for prin-based graphic designers do let me know!
Old Jan 27th 2017, 4:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Further to a post I had on another thread regarding a similar issue, doesn't this look a bit silly (no offence to the OP) relinquishing PR only to immediately apply for it. It just looks likes someone having a larf...maybe the authorities too.

Perhaps suspension should be a new option?

Dear CIC (or whatever the name is now)
I was previously awarded PR status but unfortunately life happened and circumstances beyond control resulted in my failure to meet the residential conditions.

I would relinquish that status but circumstances are now such that I wish to be honoured by again being granted this status, or re-validated as it were.

Please find enclosed my application for PR (on whatever grounds). Should the decision be in my favour, perhaps my PR status could be reactivated rather than make a formal relinquishment (I checked, the word does exist ) causing you unnecessary work ending this status only to confirm it all over again.

Should my application fail I agree my PR status should then be relinquished.

Please find enclosed my payment for $xxx (the amount that would be payable for a brand new PR application)

Everybody wins.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 27th 2017 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

First off, is that something someone actually wrote? I certainly won't be writing any letters like that one. That'd be sure to tick off CIC, I'm sure.

Should have clarified that not being able to stay for 730 days really was due to extraordinary circumstances and I'm not looking to immediately re-apply anyway.

Just curious as to any 'officially' stated waiting time for re-application. Nor do I think my question was silly. I think it's legit if it happens to be a life-long dream to make a move to Canada work long-term. Just trying to get some info and experience so things are done the right way. Thanks again.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 5:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigblue
First off, is that something someone actually wrote? I certainly won't be writing any letters like that one. That'd be sure to tick off CIC, I'm sure.
Heavens, no.
There was another thread a few days ago where someone else knew they wouldn't have met the same requirement and he was talking of relinquishing but immediately reapplying and it sounded like it would have been a formality (for him) getting PR again.

I understand from what everyone was saying in response that would be the way to go, but it just seemed to me that there's work for CIC to relinquish and then more work for a new application followed by a new process when it would be so much simpler for all involved to allow the previous PR status to remain.

Not to mention it does look a bit odd. Imagine resigning from a job or club membership and handing in a new application to join at the same time.

This was a purely imaginary letter on my part as a result of your post coming so soon after the other one.

I've no idea how many situations there are like it but it seems that suspension of PR for the in between period would make things a whole lot more straightforward for an organisation with backlogs of work.

Someone has already been successfully 'vetted' once. If there's nothing to change that and a new PR application is likely to succeed, then why not a 'fast track' procedure which essentially reactivates?

DWP/DSS in the UK has applied that idea since at least the 1970s.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

I like your suspension idea, makes sense and yes, re-applying after renouncing PR does seem odd in anyone's eyes. My original position, I guess was a synical one in imagining trying to explain all the reasons why it didn't work out for me (and my family) first time around and not getting those answers accepted and going to appeal. Maybe easier to wipe the slate clean. With that thought, does anyone have a link to where I could speak to someone officially about extenuating circumstances regarding failed PR?
Old Jan 31st 2017, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Farmhand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigblue
I like your suspension idea, makes sense and yes, re-applying after renouncing PR does seem odd in anyone's eyes. My original position, I guess was a synical one in imagining trying to explain all the reasons why it didn't work out for me (and my family) first time around and not getting those answers accepted and going to appeal. Maybe easier to wipe the slate clean. With that thought, does anyone have a link to where I could speak to someone officially about extenuating circumstances regarding failed PR?
Why not write to them and put your case forward, for a fraction of the effort and expense of a new PR application you can try, you never know and the worst they can do is say no - providing you didn't follow a no answer with an appeal it shouldn't take that long at all.