Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Renewing work permit (with PNP nomination) is flagpoling possible?

Wikiposts

Renewing work permit (with PNP nomination) is flagpoling possible?

Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Renewing work permit (with PNP nomination) is flagpoling possible?

So we have our PNP nomination (hurray!) and part of the pack is a supporting letter to Vegreville asking for renewal of my work permit without a LMO.

Does anyone know whether instead of sending off to Vegreville we could drive across to the States and then get the new permits at the border? We got our original permits at POE and it was really easy.

Plus that way the new permits could go with our PR application (I'm not sure how long Vegreville take)

Opinions/experiences please!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice
Default Re: Renewing work permit (with PNP nomination) is flagpoling possible?

That was roughly my plan if it had been required.

It depends on what your current work permit is (working holiday or normal) and how long you've got until expiry.

CIC would prefer it if you sent it to Vegreville. As long as you have at least 30 days before expiry and don't plan to leave Canada within 90 days then that would be what I'd do. Stops the border officers giving you grief - and there's no problem going on implied status that way.

Plus that way the new permits could go with our PR application
This is the really curious comment. Why do you care? Work permits and PR are separate things. All you're doing is showing that you have legal status in Canada. Grab a copy of the current work permits and ship the PR application off. Deal with renewing the work permits as a separate matter.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

We got about six weeks I guess, so fine for either route on that front. I guess I just found the border stuff good because it was fast and no worries about getting anything wrong as the immigration person at the border filled it out for us.

Re the application I was just thinking with our current visas running out we'd have to send the new ones on to CIC, and that would be a nuisance. But perhaps that's not an issue - I guess it's just because we've done that for passports recently.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We did BC PNP although we were here orginally on BUNAC WP.

To start with we sent off to Vegreville for the new WP, but at that time they were experiencing a severe back-log. We sent them by courier so we had proof of postage to support any issues over implied status.

But during that time we needed to leave Canada, so we ended up going down to the border and doing a swing round the flag pole to get new WP.

It did take a lot longer as the immigration officer at front of house was "in training" and had never heard of BC PNP so didn't understand why we didn't have a LMO and just kept on repeating that you can only get a WP with a LMO. Luckily, before I collapsed into sobs of tears, his supervisor came out and explained to him about BC PNP.

Even with the letter from BC PNP re new WP, it is up to the individual officer who sees you at the border. If he/she got out of the bed the wrong way there is no guarentee you'll get your WP.

We got about six weeks I guess, so fine for either route on that front. I guess I just found the border stuff good because it was fast and no worries about getting anything wrong as the immigration person at the border filled it out for us.
I agree that it is nice to see exactly what they've put on your WP there and then just in case they make a mistake, and hopefully leave with it in your hand, but as I said there are not guarentees that it will be fast or that you'll even get it.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

We went on a trip to the states and got our work permits re-issued when we came back into Canada.

I think it depends on the border crossing you use. We took a road trip and used the main border in our Province. The immigration offical was fantastic and even saved us money as we were going to get another study permit for our son, but it turns out that it wasn't necessary, which we wouldn't have known if we had sent them off.

We know lots of people who simply went round the flagpole and had no issues, but it depends on how you want to do it.

Word of warning though...make sure you take all of your paperwork with you, not just your PNP. We took everything we had sent into PNP with us and it was a good job as we were asked for employment contract for verification purposes and wording on the WP. We were originally just going to take the letter of nomination! It never hurts to take all of your information!

Vicky
Old Sep 25th 2009, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Bootneck has a brilliant futureBootneck has a brilliant futureBootneck has a brilliant futureBootneck has a brilliant futureBootneck has a brilliant futureBootneck has a brilliant future

As previously mentioned in other post(s) - depends on which border crossing you use and (likely) the mood of the CBSA agent at the time. I used Osoyoos (south of Kelowna, BC), nipped over the border into the States, got bored to death, came back in to Canada and spoke nicely to the CBSA... tow hours later, bingo, new TWP, valid for two years just in case my PNP nominated PR app took a while. I am now in receipt of my confirmation letter from Buffalo and am just about to book PR medicals. Here's hoping for a swift turn-round and PR before Crimbo!

Go fot it, cross the border and GOOD LUCK.

Oh, and I can't emphasize enough - take vickysteve's advice about ALL paperwork - Osoyoss wouldn't have entertained me if I didn't have "War and Peace" in my mitts!

Last edited by Bootneck; Sep 25th 2009 at 12:59 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I think we'll give it a go. If they say no we can always send it off to Vegreville. The main benefit for us is that we are swaping from my husband having the main TWP and me having the SOWP to the other way around, so if we can get it done there and then he can start looking for work. Otherwise it seems to take a very long time.

Those of you who did the POE did you take a letter form your employer too? I have a permanent job offer and a contract as well as the PNP endorsement (and yes, I'd take every bit of paperwork I have!), but wondered how to ask for the extension without an employer's letter (they are happy to write one, but not sure what to say). Also it's not a temporary thing like the first time, so with a permanent contract what length of extension to go for - I'd really like longer than a year to cover any hiccups (health issues and just general delays really) and whether that would actually cause a problem (I know it was a big no on first time around).
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:03 am
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Hi all

We also out on TWP which is due to end in November 2010, he did go though LMO process and now we are in the midst of our AINP. So what happens if our TWP runs out before the PR status is finalised and we are still in the AINP queue?

We have permanent job offer letter from main applicant and I am also now employed and could provide a further letter for my SOWP. What happens when you flag pole? Do you literally just go across the border with all your paperwork and then return asking for an extension of the TWP's? And how long do you ask for an extension?

Feels like life is on hold at the moment as we can't decide whether to buy or keep renting 'just is case'.

The Ross Family
Old Sep 26th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Ross Family
So what happens if our TWP runs out before the PR status is finalised and we are still in the AINP queue?
Then you'll have no status in Canada and must leave right away. Additional time can be bought by applying for a new TWP. If you do, then you will be under implied status until a decision on the TWP has been made.