renewing TWP -> LMO

Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:56 am
Just Joined

The_Wout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renewing TWP -> LMO

Hello Fellow Expats,

Question,

I've been working in Canada since Februari 2010 and am officially commonlaw (and now engaged) to a Canadian Citizen.

We are applying for Sponsorship, but meanwhile i have to renew my working Visa.

The problem i have with the information available is that i am Extending my Work Visa, however, for the LMO my company needs to meet the advertisement requirements.

Which doesn't make sense, since i've been holding this job for a year and a half already.

If i explain this in the cover letter, will that be sufficient?

I'd love to hear.

Thanks!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:19 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renewing TWP -> LMO

Hi

Originally Posted by The_Wout
Hello Fellow Expats,

Question,

I've been working in Canada since Februari 2010 and am officially commonlaw (and now engaged) to a Canadian Citizen.

We are applying for Sponsorship, but meanwhile i have to renew my working Visa.

The problem i have with the information available is that i am Extending my Work Visa, however, for the LMO my company needs to meet the advertisement requirements.

Which doesn't make sense, since i've been holding this job for a year and a half already.

If i explain this in the cover letter, will that be sufficient?

I'd love to hear.

Thanks!
Nope, has to be re-advertised.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The idea is that it's a temporary work permit. When the permit is going to expire the company is supposed to re-check the job market using advertising to see if there are now any Canadians with the required skills, which is why your employer has to advertise the position again. Of course, 9 times out of 10 this is merely jumping through hoops since many employers will place a lot of value on the foreign workers experience with the company.

TWPs are really there to help the economy of the country by allowing companies to hire foreign workers with a particular skillset if there is a shortage in the local area, so that's how the rules regarding it are set up. It doesn't always work out that way but that is why it's like that.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

I may have misunderstood this, so it's probably best to clarify, but if you are being sponsored, and apply 'inland', are you not entitled to an open work permit - the drawback being that the PR app takes longer to process than 'outland'?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
I may have misunderstood this, so it's probably best to clarify, but if you are being sponsored, and apply 'inland', are you not entitled to an open work permit - the drawback being that the PR app takes longer to process than 'outland'?
You are correct, but with an outland application PR is usually granted within 6 months (recent cases have been as quick as 2-3 months), whereas with an inland application it takes around 11 months just to get to the open work permit stage.