Renewing Temp Work Permit

Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:02 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 40
Cut_Chemist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing Temp Work Permit

Hi guys,

Currently on a Bunac Visa, and have been accepted into the IEC program, and have my letter of introduction. My current work permit expires on Aug 21st, so I will need to receive my new work permit on that date. I am in Toronto. I would like to know whether I need to actually cross the border to receive my work permit, or can I just go to Pearson and get it sorted there? My plan was to cross into Buffalo, and then immediately cross back into Canada, but if I can get it processed at Pearson, that would save a lot of time!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cut_Chemist is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:12 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Temp Work Permit

Originally Posted by Cut_Chemist
Hi guys,

Currently on a Bunac Visa, and have been accepted into the IEC program, and have my letter of introduction. My current work permit expires on Aug 21st, so I will need to receive my new work permit on that date. I am in Toronto. I would like to know whether I need to actually cross the border to receive my work permit, or can I just go to Pearson and get it sorted there? My plan was to cross into Buffalo, and then immediately cross back into Canada, but if I can get it processed at Pearson, that would save a lot of time!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
No, you cannot activate at Pearson, unless you fly out of Canada and back in again.
AmyDavid is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2011, 6:35 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 40
Cut_Chemist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewing Temp Work Permit

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
No, you cannot activate at Pearson, unless you fly out of Canada and back in again.
Thanks.

So crossing into the states and then back again is my best option?
Cut_Chemist is offline  
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:14 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,609
AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Temp Work Permit

Originally Posted by Cut_Chemist
Thanks.

So crossing into the states and then back again is my best option?
It will be your fastest option, yes.
AmyDavid is offline  
Old Aug 16th 2011, 6:03 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 40
Cut_Chemist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewing Temp Work Permit

Thank you!

Last question(s).. My Bunac work permit expires on Saturday 20th. I am scheduled to be making a trip down into the States on the 21st, re-entering the same day to activate my IEC Work Permit. I presume I would need to change my status to Visitor for this one day over my current Work Permit, how quickly can this be done? (And what is the quickest way to do this?). If I cross the border on the 20th instead, can I re-enter on that same day to activate the IEC Work Permit? As always, advice is appreciated!

Last edited by Cut_Chemist; Aug 16th 2011 at 6:10 pm.
Cut_Chemist is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.