Renewing Temp Work Permit

Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Cut_Chemist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing Temp Work Permit

Hi guys,

Currently on a Bunac Visa, and have been accepted into the IEC program, and have my letter of introduction. My current work permit expires on Aug 21st, so I will need to receive my new work permit on that date. I am in Toronto. I would like to know whether I need to actually cross the border to receive my work permit, or can I just go to Pearson and get it sorted there? My plan was to cross into Buffalo, and then immediately cross back into Canada, but if I can get it processed at Pearson, that would save a lot of time!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:12 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Temp Work Permit

Originally Posted by Cut_Chemist
Hi guys,

Currently on a Bunac Visa, and have been accepted into the IEC program, and have my letter of introduction. My current work permit expires on Aug 21st, so I will need to receive my new work permit on that date. I am in Toronto. I would like to know whether I need to actually cross the border to receive my work permit, or can I just go to Pearson and get it sorted there? My plan was to cross into Buffalo, and then immediately cross back into Canada, but if I can get it processed at Pearson, that would save a lot of time!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
No, you cannot activate at Pearson, unless you fly out of Canada and back in again.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
No, you cannot activate at Pearson, unless you fly out of Canada and back in again.
Thanks.

So crossing into the states and then back again is my best option?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:14 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cut_Chemist
Thanks.

So crossing into the states and then back again is my best option?
It will be your fastest option, yes.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!

Last question(s).. My Bunac work permit expires on Saturday 20th. I am scheduled to be making a trip down into the States on the 21st, re-entering the same day to activate my IEC Work Permit. I presume I would need to change my status to Visitor for this one day over my current Work Permit, how quickly can this be done? (And what is the quickest way to do this?). If I cross the border on the 20th instead, can I re-enter on that same day to activate the IEC Work Permit? As always, advice is appreciated!

Last edited by Cut_Chemist; Aug 16th 2011 at 6:10 pm.