Wikiposts

Renewing PR - Options

Old Aug 11th 2009, 2:33 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice
Default Renewing PR - Options

Assuming you are in Canada at the time of your PR expiring and have you do not have the required 2 years in-time.

Are there any options for remaining i.e. Can you apply for a "permit" via your employer or ANO methods.

Sensible comments appreciated.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 2:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing PR - Options

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Assuming you are in Canada at the time of your PR expiring and have you do not have the required 2 years in-time.

Are there any options for remaining i.e. Can you apply for a "permit" via your employer or ANO methods.

Sensible comments appreciated.
You'd have to do the same as anybody else in Canada without status (i.e. a visitor).

So you'd have to apply for TWP, or PR via another route etc. But bear in mind that you can't work at all until you get new visa sorted.

Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:59 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You'd have to do the same as anybody else in Canada without status (i.e. a visitor).

So you'd have to apply for TWP, or PR via another route etc. But bear in mind that you can't work at all until you get new visa sorted.

So, say I was working could I advise my employer prior to the PR expiring, get a TWP through them so the transistion was "seamless" and renain in work, then apply for my PR again ?

BTW - If you are living / applying for PR from Canada what are the typical waiting / processing times ?

Last edited by Buchan6; Aug 11th 2009 at 4:18 am. Reason: Typo
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So, say I was working could I advise my employer prior to the PR expiring, get a TWP through them so the transistion was "seamless" and renain in work, then apply for my PR again ?

BTW - If you are living / applying for PR from Canada what are the typical waiting / processing times ?
Well, you could apply for the TWP prior to PR expiring so that you don't have to stop work, but don't forget that your employer will have to apply for the LMO first. You can go to the border and get your TWP instantly once you have your LMO, that can take between 1 and 6 months. A lot of LMO's seem to be being rejected at the mo due to the economic climate in Canada, so do make sure your employer presents a watertight case.

I think there is also something you need to do to give up your PR card officially, but if you do a search of the forum you'll hopefully find more info as I'm not too sure about that.

Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Before getting a TWP you would have to officially rescind your PR and turn in the card.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:31 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can go to the border and get your TWP instantly once you have your LMO, that can take between 1 and 6 months.
Do you mean the LMO takes between 1-6 months to process ? ?

Once you have that whats the typical timescale to get a PR when you are living/working in Canada ?
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Cheers Guys,

So really best option is to get back asap so I fulfil the 2 year req's. I,m not sure on the possibility of that, particularly getting a reasonable job in the short term.
Sorry, I hadn't realised you were in the UK - thought you were in Canada and had already lost PR!

Yes, if you can avoid losing PR status then do so. PR is getting harder and harder to come by at the moment with most people needing a job for PR, so you'd be better off maintaining PR and then you don't have the hassle (and cost) of reapplying.

Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If an Immigration officer notices that you are in breach of the residence obligation, you can be referred immediately for a hearing to cancel your PR.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:48 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Thats what I would have assumed although I was thinking along the lines of the feasibility getting a TWP or similar to "replace" the PR then applying again for a PR.

If you are living in Canada on a PR for example, typically what are the waiting / processing times to get a PR ?
Old Aug 16th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

If you are living in Canada on a PR for example, typically what are the waiting / processing times to get a PR ?
Varies a lot based on the route you pick but generally 6-12 months is what's quoted.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 4:53 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Thats what I though assume costs are typically as per the UK i.e. £2K + for a family of 4 ?
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

Application is CAD550 per adult and CAD 150 per dependent child.
Med fees, in Canada, are about CAD275 per person (not sure about children).
Right of Permanent Residence Fee, comes right at the end, is $490 per adult.

You'll have fees for photos and courier/mail costs.