Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Renewing PR Change in marital status

Wikiposts

Renewing PR Change in marital status

Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:33 am
Just Joined

pikelton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing PR Change in marital status

Hello everybody, my first post and sorry to start with a query, but I'm concerned with my status as an expat.

Arrived in Canada in July 2008, my partner at the time was the main applicant
and J came as a dependent and received my PR card. My partner and I then married in May 2009. I then left Canada in April 2012 and subsequently divorced.
My PR card expires on 15th Nov 2013 and I now want to return to Canada, but I am concerned that because my marital status has changed (with the main applicant) that it will affect my application for PR renewal.
Will this be detrimental to my upcoming application for PR renewal? Many thanks for any insight to this.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:42 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing PR Change in marital status

Originally Posted by pikelton
Hello everybody, my first post and sorry to start with a query, but I'm concerned with my status as an expat.

Arrived in Canada in July 2008, my partner at the time was the main applicant
and J came as a dependent and received my PR card. My partner and I then married in May 2009. I then left Canada in April 2012 and subsequently divorced.
My PR card expires on 15th Nov 2013 and I now want to return to Canada, but I am concerned that because my marital status has changed (with the main applicant) that it will affect my application for PR renewal.
Will this be detrimental to my upcoming application for PR renewal? Many thanks for any insight to this.
Firstly, once you are a PR you won't lose it because of divorce. Your main concern should be whether or not you have enough time banked in Canada to retain your PR status.

Your PR card expiry date has nothing to do with the requirements of being in Canada (a mistake often made).

You need to have been residing in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in the 5 years since you landed (gained PR). What date did you 'land' as a Permanent Resident and how long have you been absent? If you gained PR in 2008 and left in 20012, you should be fine.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by siouxie
Firstly, once you are a PR you won't lose it because of divorce. Your main concern should be whether or not you have enough time banked in Canada to retain your PR status.

Your PR card expiry date has nothing to do with the requirements of being in Canada (a mistake often made).

You need to have been residing in Canada for a minimum of 730 days in the 5 years since you landed (gained PR). What date did you 'land' as a Permanent Resident and how long have you been absent? If you gained PR in 2008 and left in 20012, you should be fine.
Thank you so much for you're promt reply. I was actually resident in Canada for the entire period between landing 23rd July 2008 and leaving on the 4th of April 2012. I have far exceeded the 730 days that you state. I am returning very shortly to renew my PR.

Does this mean I have nothing to be concerned about then?

Thanks again for your reply.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 9:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pikelton
Thank you so much for you're promt reply. I was actually resident in Canada for the entire period between landing 23rd July 2008 and leaving on the 4th of April 2012. I have far exceeded the 730 days that you state. I am returning very shortly to renew my PR.

Does this mean I have nothing to be concerned about then?

Thanks again for your reply.
You are most welcome.

You have nothing to worry about

If you have reverted to your original name (if you changed it on marriage) and your passport is in the original name, you should bring your old passport with you and look into changing your official documents in Canada.

Happy landings and welcome home again

Edited to say - when renewing your PR card, be prepared for a long wait! http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa.../perm-card.asp
Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

That's fantastic news.

Much appreciated you've put my mind at rest, can't wait to get back.

Thanks again.