Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Renewing Passport before PR Card Arrives?

Wikiposts

Renewing Passport before PR Card Arrives?

Old May 9th 2011, 2:27 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Renewing Passport before PR Card Arrives?

Ok, as you might have seen from the PNP thread, I got PR this weekend!

I have my Confirmation of Permanent Residence, and my PR card is on it's way (applied at the border). Should be 31 business days/6 weeks according to the CIC website.

It's also time for a passport renewal, a 4 week process through the British Embassy in DC. This is the problem. I asked at the border and they recommended I hang onto my passport while the PR card came, but if I do, that's a total of TEN WEEKS I'm unable to travel (either due to lack of PR card or lack of passport).

I had intended to renew my passport simultaneously while waiting for the PR card, but I'm wondering if this is a good idea?

I have copies of the passport and visa within, and would remove the COPR, but should I do this plan at all?
Old May 10th 2011, 3:55 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Renewing Passport before PR Card Arrives?

Reading this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...card-faq12.asp

I seems to say that I would be OK with only my COPR, even if it is removed from my passport, as Proof of PR status for things like banks etc.

I'm thinking I should do a week of pounding the pavement making sure everyone knows I'm now a PR and then send off the passport before receiving the PR card?