Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

renewing my passport with not much time to spare

renewing my passport with not much time to spare

Old May 8th 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default renewing my passport with not much time to spare

My passport expires in April next year, and with a possible Canada/USA trip in November I need to renew it. I also need to renew it because, hopefully, they're going to want to stick a visa in it! However, my plan was to send it off today after the medicals, which means I'll have to wait 2-3 weeks, get new passport, tell CIC my new passport number, before they request passports (I'm looking at this optimistically lol). Is this going to be OK time-wise? Someone on the forum - I forget who - got their passport request 1 month after medicals. I'm assuming the timescale is tight but manageable?

I'm just worried that it might take them a month to register that my passport has changed lol, or that I send the new one and they haven't registered it properly and don't accept it. Sounds neurotic but hey, the admin of this process does not always run smoothly!
Old May 8th 2011, 11:23 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renewing my passport with not much time to spare

When I applied for PR I had to renew my passport whilst the application was in process (also moved too, so needed to update eCAS to reflect that as well).

As Murphy's law dictates, I got a letter asking for me to attend an interview, and one of the things I'd need to bring is my passport, obviously did not have it, and was in a bit of a panic, but I phoned CIC and explained the situation and they said that I simply need to fax a letter to them explaining the situation and they would reschedule the interview, which they did.

What I'd suggest is to contact CIC and ask their thoughts on this. I'd expect they would tell you to contact them as / when the passport request turns up, and explain you're waiting for it to come back from being renewed and they may well grant you an extended period of time in which to submit the passport.
Old May 9th 2011, 2:00 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
My passport expires in April next year, and with a possible Canada/USA trip in November I need to renew it. I also need to renew it because, hopefully, they're going to want to stick a visa in it! However, my plan was to send it off today after the medicals, which means I'll have to wait 2-3 weeks, get new passport, tell CIC my new passport number, before they request passports (I'm looking at this optimistically lol). Is this going to be OK time-wise? Someone on the forum - I forget who - got their passport request 1 month after medicals. I'm assuming the timescale is tight but manageable?

I'm just worried that it might take them a month to register that my passport has changed lol, or that I send the new one and they haven't registered it properly and don't accept it. Sounds neurotic but hey, the admin of this process does not always run smoothly!
When they send the e-mail/letter asking you to submit Passports for Visa's to be added they ask you to complete an updated information form which lets you provide them with the new passport details on this - there is no need to inform them before this.
Old May 9th 2011, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

phew this all sounds like it's Ok then
Passport is away for renewal; I paid a bit extra for that Post Office 'check and send' service because apparently it speeds the process up by as much as a week.
Thanks for the comments
Old May 19th 2011, 10:10 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
When they send the e-mail/letter asking you to submit Passports for Visa's to be added they ask you to complete an updated information form which lets you provide them with the new passport details on this - there is no need to inform them before this.
now this is timely info, thx & to the OP for a well timed thread.... just sent mine in for renewal...but it appears I was worrying in anticipation, given ecas still says rec'd by visa office
Old May 19th 2011, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Quick update on this... I sent it in using the 'check and send' service, and got it back in under 2 weeks! I'm very impressed given the time of year, I thought I'd be caught in the summer holiday rush.

I did wonder if they knew I was wanting to emigrate... my new passport is watermarked with lots of images of 'wonderful Britain' - mountains, villages, that sort of thing! Makes the UK look rather nice!
Old May 19th 2011, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

my daughter used the check and send and she got hers back in 10 days, but this wasnt in the summer holiday rush lol. looks like they finally got their finger out where sending passports back are concerned.