Renewing IEC

Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

IanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really nice
Default Renewing IEC

Hey Guys, quick question for those who have renewed their IEC visa.

I have just about come to the end of my original 12 months on the IEC visa. I have my new visa accepted and have been told via e-mail conversation with the support guys, that I need to leave the country and come back to get my new visa activated.

As I am currently working full time, I can not take a prolonged period off, so plan on driving down to Buffalo crossing over to the States to do some shopping, then having my visa issued on the way back over to Canada.

Have any of you got experience with this? If so, what should I be looking to do, how long is the process and is there a specific person/area/building which deals with international immigration such as this?

I just don't want to drive down there from Toronto to find I had to do sometime in advance.

Thanks for any info and advice guys
Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing IEC

Originally Posted by IanT86
Hey Guys, quick question for those who have renewed their IEC visa.

I have just about come to the end of my original 12 months on the IEC visa. I have my new visa accepted and have been told via e-mail conversation with the support guys, that I need to leave the country and come back to get my new visa activated.

As I am currently working full time, I can not take a prolonged period off, so plan on driving down to Buffalo crossing over to the States to do some shopping, then having my visa issued on the way back over to Canada.

Have any of you got experience with this? If so, what should I be looking to do, how long is the process and is there a specific person/area/building which deals with international immigration such as this?

I just don't want to drive down there from Toronto to find I had to do sometime in advance.

Thanks for any info and advice guys
Take your new LOI/POE letter from IEC, proof of funds ($2500 minimum in a bank account), insurance coverage that covers repatriation and your passport.
On entering Canada ask to see Immigration as you need a work permit and basically thats it.
The funds and insurance coverage are mandatory requirements under the IEC. If you dont have them then you wont be issued a work permit if CBSA ask to see them.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

IanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really niceIanT86 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Take your new LOI/POE letter from IEC, proof of funds ($2500 minimum in a bank account), insurance coverage that covers repatriation and your passport.
On entering Canada ask to see Immigration as you need a work permit and basically thats it.
The funds and insurance coverage are mandatory requirements under the IEC. If you dont have them then you wont be issued a work permit if CBSA ask to see them.
Thank you Former Lancastrian, it's funny I was just reading your advice on health insurance from an older post. I've just purchased the insurance for an additional year and will drop into TD this afternoon to get a print out of my balance.

Nice, easy reply. Thank you
Old Jul 25th 2013, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Just quickly in addition (this may sound stupid, but I need to check), there's no way the borders will be shut for this kind of visa application at specific times will there? I know the borders themselves are open 24/7 and secured accordingly, but is there admin staff who work a regular 9-5 who'd have to process this application for me?

As I intend on going down on a Sunday, it just occurred to me to ask
Old Jul 25th 2013, 11:01 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Just quickly in addition (this may sound stupid, but I need to check), there's no way the borders will be shut for this kind of visa application at specific times will there? I know the borders themselves are open 24/7 and secured accordingly, but is there admin staff who work a regular 9-5 who'd have to process this application for me?

Assuming you are going to a major crossing, Immigration is available 24/7.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would cross between the hours of 8am and midnight. Yes some are 24/7 but not all provide Immigration services after midnight which results in examinations being deferred until 8am.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Thank you guys, I appreciate the answer
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:02 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You can check the list of CBSA offices and their services here: http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listi...2-e.html#d1632
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:01 am
Just Joined

humanzombie is an unknown quantity at this point

hi I'm planning on renewing my iec in august 2014 i would love to know how your experience was renewing also was the iec application the second time around for you any different? Did you still get your uk police check done?

thanks in advance
Old Aug 10th 2013, 2:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humanzombie
hi I'm planning on renewing my iec in august 2014 i would love to know how your experience was renewing also was the iec application the second time around for you any different? Did you still get your uk police check done?

thanks in advance
You can't renew an IEC, you have to apply for a whole new one - make sure you apply when the program opens in early 2014 (or even late 2013), as by August all the visas are likely to have gone.

And yes, because it's a whole new application you'll still need to provide a UK police cert.

HTH.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

humanzombie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can't renew an IEC, you have to apply for a whole new one - make sure you apply when the program opens in early 2014 (or even late 2013), as by August all the visas are likely to have gone.

And yes, because it's a whole new application you'll still need to provide a UK police cert.

HTH.
Thanks! Did you apply for the new iec entry while in Canada? I was wondering if that would be an,issue already having an iec visa and applying for the next one..
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by humanzombie
Thanks! Did you apply for the new iec entry while in Canada? I was wondering if that would be an,issue already having an iec visa and applying for the next one..
You can apply for a 2nd IEC while in Canada but you still send the application to London CHC office. Offices within Canada will not renew and you must apply as per whatever instructions IEC impose for the 2014 programme. Most applications are now done online in 2 stages like the 2013 one was. Check the IEC website as there can always be changes made.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

bodger0ne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

another British expat here on an iec visa, currently residing in Calgary, AB.

As my current visa runs out at the end of the month, i'm looking into doing a border crossing at either Carway or Coutts by driving down.

Due to limited funds, we can't make a holiday out of it, so we are looking into "Flagpolling" at the border.
Would this temporary "refusal of Entry" to the US cause any problems further down the line if we wanted to visit later?

Does anybody have recent experience with either borders, and can recommend in this situation?

Also: Would we need an ESTA as we aren't technically entering the US??