Renewal of Work Permit - delays

Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Poppy9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewal of Work Permit - delays

Hi all,

Mr P's work permit expires next month, the new 2yr visa is delayed & is not likely to turn up for a couple of months.

Has anyone experienced this?

Any tips on how to speed things up?

Thanks, P

Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:59 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of Work Permit - delays

So long as his extension application is under consideration he may keep working for the same employer as he would have "deemed" status.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jim.

Mr P is desperate to move to another firm (the new visa will be in the name of the new firm).
If he leaves the current firm, do you know if he can stay in the country until the new visa arrives without working??

P
Old Oct 28th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy9
Thanks Jim.

Mr P is desperate to move to another firm (the new visa will be in the name of the new firm).
If he leaves the current firm, do you know if he can stay in the country until the new visa arrives without working??

P
I had some similar issues when I had to change companies when the my first WP sponser decided to close the Calgary office and pull out of Canada. The general consensus was that I would be allowed to legally remain in Canada until the end of validity of the work permit, but of course couldn't work for anyone else. Fortunately I got anothe HRDSC approval except job before this expired, but still had to fly to Seattle and land again in Calgary to pick up a new work permit. If you are in the same situation or alternatively have the HRSDC approval plus supporting documentation you can play the same game and get a new WP at the airport. Just make sure that the documenation is watertight since the immigration guys don't like you doing it (although it is legitimate).

Otherwise, given the timings that you mentioned, it looks like you might have an immigration status issue for the month between expiry of the first WP and getting a new one unless yopu can get a 1 month vistor visa. You might have trouble explaining these circumstances at the border though.

You have our sympathies. We are on tenderhooks awaiting the approval of my work permit extension. It expires next week, and if it is not renewed we are completely screwed.

Last edited by Posidrive; Oct 28th 2007 at 12:49 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Posidrive - I'm not sure what will happen as we don't think the new visa will be here on time. Maybe he can come in as a tourist but we're worried that will change the immigration status & cause further delay.

Failing that, a trip back to England for a couple of months or so, although not ideal.

P
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:30 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy9
Thanks Posidrive - I'm not sure what will happen as we don't think the new visa will be here on time. Maybe he can come in as a tourist but we're worried that will change the immigration status & cause further delay.

Failing that, a trip back to England for a couple of months or so, although not ideal.

P
I have just been through this - although my WP was being extended for the same employment rather than switching companies. There's a significant delay on all visa extensions currently: it took just over 3 months for mine to be renewed, and for just under two of those months I was working here under "deemed status" as Jim H alluded to. It makes no difference to your status within Canada, but in my case, for example, it meant that I could not travel to the US on business as I couldn't be sure that the immigration people would let me back in (especially because my passport was due to expire shortly after my original WP, so I had replaced that at the beginning of the WP renewal process...).

I don't know what the implications are for changing jobs; I would suggest that your safest course of action is for your OH to continue working for his current employer for a few more weeks until the new WP is issued and safely in his hands!

As far as I'm aware, there is absolutely nothing you can do to speed things up, unless there are really special circumstances. The senior associate in my office, who is Indian, had a similar issue a few months ago, and ended up pleading through the Indian High Commission to the Canadian authorities (at pretty senior level, I understand) that the delay in processing his visa application was harming Indo-Canadian trade relations, and directly affecting the ability of our company to win business and thus employ Canadians. His visa (but not those of his family) was fast-tracked and turned around in a week. I didn't have that kind of clout, so just had to wait my turn!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks O!
P