Renewal of PR card from Uk

Old Feb 22nd 2019, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

mrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewal of PR card from Uk

Hi the time has come for me to do this again. I previously renewed my pr card from the UK and picked it up when I went over to Canada to visit the in-laws. This was no issue 5 years ago with regards to sending my hubby's passports away etc. However there is no way I can send his British passport away (he is dual nationality) as he is a pilot and obviously needs it. So would they accept copies?? Also I am presuming I can still do my renewal from the UK and collect it when we next go to Canada like before?? Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of PR card from Uk

Read this link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-to-apply.html
  • a clear copy of:
    • your valid passport or travel document, or
    • the passport or travel document you held at the time you became a permanent resident
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It's an in Canada Application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...can-apply.html

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

mrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your replies. Just to clarify have the rules changed for renewal then? I just find it hard to believe that if you are meeting the pr requirements by living with a Canadian outside of Canada, that you can't renew outside Canada, as I said I did it 5 years ago. I would of thought there are lots of people in my position and unable to spend how ever many months in Canada while you wait for a new card to be processed?
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs hortons
Thank you both for your replies. Just to clarify have the rules changed for renewal then? I just find it hard to believe that if you are meeting the pr requirements by living with a Canadian outside of Canada, that you can't renew outside Canada, as I said I did it 5 years ago. I would of thought there are lots of people in my position and unable to spend how ever many months in Canada while you wait for a new card to be processed?
The rules have never changed but some found lets say a non legal way around it as it clearly states

Eligibility

To be eligible for a PR card, you need to:So if you wanted to return to Canada you would either get the Permanent Resident Travel Document to fly to Canada or fly to the US on their ESTA then cross into Canada by using a bus, train, car or ferry/cruise ship where no PR card is required.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

When I renewed from the UK last time it was certainly not done a "non legal" way, and was done through the proper channels and I had no issues. There was even a separate address for applications from inside Canada and outside Canada. So I guess something must of changed. Thanks anyway.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mrs hortons
When I renewed from the UK last time it was certainly not done a "non legal" way, and was done through the proper channels and I had no issues. There was even a separate address for applications from inside Canada and outside Canada. So I guess something must of changed. Thanks anyway.
Prior to the introduction of the eTA perhaps you could apply for a PR card from outside of Canada but the card would not be delivered to a non Canadian address which is still the same today. With the introduction of the eTA then a valid PR card is required to fly to Canada or a PRTD.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Prior to the introduction of the eTA perhaps you could apply for a PR card from outside of Canada but the card would not be delivered to a non Canadian address which is still the same today. With the introduction of the eTA then a valid PR card is required to fly to Canada or a PRTD.
Yes this was the case last time and I had it delivered to my in laws address as that is my Canadian address and then they posted it over to us in the UK. Such a faff every 5 years lol.
Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

The procedure for your situation where you're living outside long term with a Canadian, is to apply for a (multi entry) PRTD if you're not in Canada, you want to return to Canada and your PR Card has expired.