Renew my PR - ?Eligible

Old Dec 30th 2020, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

medicm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renew my PR - ?Eligible

I need some advice if I should ask a lawyer to take over my PR renewal.
I have landed in May 2015, however, went back to the UK (Im British) to finish my training as a family physician.
Training done on 2018, then I had to do finish paperwork, and find a job in Ontario to make the move.
This was done by Feb 2019, new job started March 2019.
My PR expired July 2020

I have 2 questions:
1- Do we know if the days i used to visit Canada between landing and Expirey and counted for in my residency?
2- I have been waiting to complete 720 days to be eligible to apply for renewal. However, i found out during filling out the form, that if I spent more than 1095 days outside Canada then I have to fill some extra questions, but they do not apply for me. any idea if this is an issue ?

any advice will be appreciated
Old Dec 30th 2020, 7:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew my PR - ?Eligible

Nothing to worry about - PR status doesn't expire, the card does - you don't 'renew' your PR status, you renew your PR card- .. You would need to have resided in Canada for a minimum of 730 days during the past 5 years to renew your PR Card - i.e. up to the 5 year anniversary of your 'landing' - but it's a rolling requirement.. so 5 years back from the day of your application.
Any trip into Canada between 'Landing' and the date of application will count towards the requirement.

No need to ask any lawyers

If you have no intention of leaving Canada there is no requirement to renew your PR card.. it's good to do so (and essential if you intend to fly out of / into Canada soon), but it's not required to retain your PR status... you could live here for years without one if you wanted to!
If you want to renew your PR Card then wait until you have reached the required number of days (or are within 1095 days outside of Canada in the past 5 years, so effectively a few months of living here past the 730 days should be sufficient - ) and then apply.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...pr-status.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...can-apply.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 30th 2020 at 7:41 pm.