Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Remote working while waiting for outland spousal visa?

Wikiposts

Remote working while waiting for outland spousal visa?

Old Jan 9th 2015, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

cberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remote working while waiting for outland spousal visa?

Hi all, I'm shortly applying for Outland Spousal Sponsorship from London. My wife and I were initially keen to move in March but clearly I did not arrange the visa in time. I understand, however, that while I wait for Outland I can come to Canada to wait for the visa approval.

My question is - would I be able to work remotely from Canada while awaiting this decision, for employers in the UK?

Please note I'm aware of the open work permit allowed for inland sponsored applicants, however for a number of reasons I'm going Outland.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2015, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remote working while waiting for outland spousal visa?

Originally Posted by cberry
Hi all, I'm shortly applying for Outland Spousal Sponsorship from London. My wife and I were initially keen to move in March but clearly I did not arrange the visa in time. I understand, however, that while I wait for Outland I can come to Canada to wait for the visa approval.

My question is - would I be able to work remotely from Canada while awaiting this decision, for employers in the UK?

Please note I'm aware of the open work permit allowed for inland sponsored applicants, however for a number of reasons I'm going Outland.

Many thanks!
Yes you can work remotely providing you have no Canadian customers and still being paid by a UK company and not a Canadian one.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes you can work remotely providing you have no Canadian customers and still being paid by a UK company and not a Canadian one.
Thanks!

Does anyone know how they classify "No Canadian customers"? I work for the UK office of a global partnership that has an office in Canada serving Canadian clients. However I personally work for the London office, which is registered in the UK, and I only work for European clients.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Does anyone know how they classify "No Canadian customers"? I work for the UK office of a global partnership that has an office in Canada serving Canadian clients. However I personally work for the London office, which is registered in the UK, and I only work for European clients.
Basically it means that if in Canada you cannot be paid by any Canadian company or work for a Canadian client based in Canada.
All of your clients or customers etc must be based outside of Canada.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Perfect - thanks! Between this and the fact that my profession is a NAFTA Profession (I have a US as well as UK passport) I think I should be OK then.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Perfect - thanks! Between this and the fact that my profession is a NAFTA Profession (I have a US as well as UK passport) I think I should be OK then.
Under NAFTA as a professional you could apply for a work permit at a POE providing you qualify as a NAFTA professional and no LMIA is required and you just pay the $155 for the work permit.