Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

REJECTION NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REJECTION NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 24th 2012, 12:14 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REJECTION NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What proof did you supply for your BTEC's? Just certificates or transcripts/letter from College confirming the time it took you to undertake them?
Old May 28th 2012, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
It sounds like the failure is on the part of the consultants, not CIC.
Which highlights something - Immigration Consultants make their money by your applying with them, not by you getting PR, so they are incentivized to present a best case scenario. Sure, the more people they can say get approved ("99%!" "100%!" etc), alls the better, but they can explain failures away by it being CIC's problem, not theirs.
Old May 28th 2012, 5:55 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duckman
Which highlights something - Immigration Consultants make their money by your applying with them, not by you getting PR, so they are incentivized to present a best case scenario. Sure, the more people they can say get approved ("99%!" "100%!" etc), alls the better, but they can explain failures away by it being CIC's problem, not theirs.
My thoughts exactly
Old May 28th 2012, 11:33 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

CIC recently changed to proof you have to supply for such qualifications - a certificate is not enough now. You have to prove how long it took you to do it. So the refusal could be due to this. Which is wrong if you applied before this change and your consultants should appeal because of this.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:49 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It doesn't matter if they're equivalent to A levels though, if a BTEC is a full-time post-secondary college diploma (I'm not familiar with them, so am not sure if it is or not!) then it should count for points, the same as anything similar i.e. NVQ etc.

You could argue that a 2 yr apprenticeship is 'equivalent to A levels', but it still stands alone in CIC's eyes and gets an applicant points.
It would depend whether they are BTEC Higher Diploma / Certificates or standard National BTEC.

BtEC National diplomas, Certificates and Awards

BTEC Nationals are Level 3 qualifications that give access to employment or to further or higher education. Students must be at least 16 years old. Entry requirements vary by institution and may include GCSE courses, a BTEC First diploma or Certificate, other Level 2 or 3 qualifications, or work experience.

• The National Award normally consists of 6 units and is equivalent to one GCE A Level. It is graded pass, merit or distinction (P, M, d).

• The National Certificate is generally 12 units in length and is considered equivalent to two GCE A Levels. It is given a double grade on the certificate (PP, MP, MM).

• The National Diploma is usually 18 units and considered equivalent to three GCE A Levels. It is triple-graded on the certificate (PPP, PPM).

BtEC higher National Certificates and diplomas

BTEC higher National Certificates and diplomas are Level 5 qualifications awarded by Edexcel as BTEC qualifications in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In Scotland the same qualifications are awarded as hNC and hNd (without the BTEC) by the SQA.

Students applying for hNC and hNd programs are normally at least 18 years old. Entry requirements may include a BTEC National Qualification, GCSE and GCE A Level courses or other equivalent qualifications or experience. HNCs and HNds are vocationally related higher-education qualifications offered by universities and colleges. The hNC normally requires 600 guided learning hours, usually taken over one year of full-time (or two years part-time) study. The hNd requires 960 guided learning hours and is usually taken over two or three years of full-time study.

Taken from: http://employment.alberta.ca/documen...uk_profile.pdf

The OP may be able to get further clarification from: http://www.edexcel.com/Pages/Home.aspx
Old May 28th 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Crushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
CIC recently changed to proof you have to supply for such qualifications - a certificate is not enough now. You have to prove how long it took you to do it. So the refusal could be due to this. Which is wrong if you applied before this change and your consultants should appeal because of this.
Thankyou and yes we will appeal because I applied in May 2010.

BTEC was completed in 1994 and I supplied Certs as proof, college does not keep records going back 18 long years and therefore can't supply actual records proof.

Also, the visa officer could very easily determine how long the BTEC National Diploma lasted by using proof of when I finished school and started studies at university. Or, by simply checking on the internet.........as some of you have pointed out already...............

By the way if and once this gets to Judicial Court, can you imagine what the courts reaction will be when we point out 12years school plus 2 years diploma = full 20 points for education.
Unless the CIC know different............
Old May 28th 2012, 7:34 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bal uk
Thankyou and yes we will appeal because I applied in May 2010.

BTEC was completed in 1994 and I supplied Certs as proof, college does not keep records going back 18 long years and therefore can't supply actual records proof.

Also, the visa officer could very easily determine how long the BTEC National Diploma lasted by using proof of when I finished school and started studies at university. Or, by simply checking on the internet.........as some of you have pointed out already...............

By the way if and once this gets to Judicial Court, can you imagine what the courts reaction will be when we point out 12years school plus 2 years diploma = full 20 points for education.
Unless the CIC know different............
I admire your determination

Old May 28th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

Was there a gap from when you left school to when you started college,If there was then you can prove that your b tech is not part of your school years.(As i thought that A levels do not count)
Old May 28th 2012, 9:42 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

but just be aware as has been mentioned upthread - that its not the amount of years you studied, its the actual qualification gained at the end of it. So if they for some reason don't recognise BTEC's then it doesn't matter whether you spent 5 minutes or 5 years gaining the certification - as was proved with your degree.

If they do reject the appeal then I would suggest as someone else also said, going back to complete your degree.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:05 am
Just Joined

jessie is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if this helps but we were in a similar situation.

I had a BTEC National Certificate which was taken part time over two years.

I’d lost my original certificate and obtained a replacement from Edexcel in the UK. Whilst the certificate didn’t state the total duration of the course it did give an itemised breakdown of module results.

I then sent this to the ‘International Credential Assessment Service of Canada’ who came back with an assessment report which stated, “The diploma represents level of education comparable to a two year diploma in a similar field issued by a post secondary institution that is a member of the Association of Canadian Community Colleges.”

I had only claimed one year of study (points wise) for this but presume yours was 2 years full time as you state you took the diploma as opposed to the certificate.

Unfortunately, we did not ‘test’ this with CIC as we withdrew our application before processing after being in the queue for almost four years.

Hope this is of some assistance.
Old May 30th 2012, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Crushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jessie
Not sure if this helps but we were in a similar situation.

I had a BTEC National Certificate which was taken part time over two years.

I’d lost my original certificate and obtained a replacement from Edexcel in the UK. Whilst the certificate didn’t state the total duration of the course it did give an itemised breakdown of module results.

I then sent this to the ‘International Credential Assessment Service of Canada’ who came back with an assessment report which stated, “The diploma represents level of education comparable to a two year diploma in a similar field issued by a post secondary institution that is a member of the Association of Canadian Community Colleges.”

I had only claimed one year of study (points wise) for this but presume yours was 2 years full time as you state you took the diploma as opposed to the certificate.

Unfortunately, we did not ‘test’ this with CIC as we withdrew our application before processing after being in the queue for almost four years.

Hope this is of some assistance.
Yes Jessie that does help, thanks for the info but unfortunatly it looks like the case may have to go to appeal anyway

Bal..................
Old May 30th 2012, 7:00 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Things might have changed since i applied...i spent three years full time doing a BTEC - HND at polytechnic then 1 year doing a degree conversion course. My HND wasn't counted as any points as i already had A levels even though it took three years to get it..but obviously my degree that took 1 year was counted so i got max points for education without it my HND wouldn't have been enough to get me the full quota.
Old May 30th 2012, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Things might have changed since i applied...i spent three years full time doing a BTEC - HND at polytechnic then 1 year doing a degree conversion course. My HND wasn't counted as any points as i already had A levels even though it took three years to get it..but obviously my degree that took 1 year was counted so i got max points for education without it my HND wouldn't have been enough to get me the full quota.
That's interesting because all the agents I ever spoke to were convinced it counted but you have 1st hand experience......

So your HND didn't count as you'd done A-levels already, whereas I did a First Diploma and then National Diploma?
So, if BTEC National counts as 3 A-levels to go to higher education (UNI) it does or doesn't count
What's your view/knowledge??
Old May 30th 2012, 7:14 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

For me it was an irrelevance as i had a degree so i never though about it until i read about your position. The only thing i can say was that my HND exempted me from the first three years of the Bsc Degree i took..so to me that says it is worth a lot more than A Levels...3/4 of a degree perhaps???
Old May 30th 2012, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
For me it was an irrelevance as i had a degree so i never though about it until i read about your position. The only thing i can say was that my HND exempted me from the first three years of the Bsc Degree i took..so to me that says it is worth a lot more than A Levels...3/4 of a degree perhaps???
Well that sounds alot better, HND =3 years of your degree!

Actually Jessie's investigation and what proof she's gained should answer all questions raised of the past....................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.