Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

REJECTION NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REJECTION NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 23rd 2012, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REJECTION NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bal uk
I didn't complete the degree but the Btec's 2+1 years were based at a Technology college after high school, which I was told by 3 different Immigration consultants totalled max. points for PR application. ( I approached 3 different agents before choosing present agent ).

Do you think they scored down lower for that reason??
OK, so forget the years at uni then as they won't count for anything - only completed educational credentials count.

As you were given 15 points (i.e. secondary education) my guess is that they've seen the BTEC years as part of your secondary education, the same as they do for somebody that has done A levels at college. That is only a guess though!

I'd definitely fight it (proving that a BTEC is a standalone qualification and diploma, rather than part of secondary education - get it assessed if necessary), best of luck.
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Crushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so forget the years at uni then as they won't count for anything - only completed educational credentials count.

As you were given 15 points (i.e. secondary education) my guess is that they've seen the BTEC years as part of your secondary education, the same as they do for somebody that has done A levels at college. That is only a guess though!

I'd definitely fight it (proving that a BTEC is a standalone qualification and diploma, rather than part of secondary education - get it assessed if necessary), best of luck.
How do I get the BTEC'S assessed christmasoompa, I need to act as fast as possible......
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Im assuming you did the self assessment tool

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../Education.asp
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How do I get the BTEC'S assessed christmasoompa, I need to act as fast as possible......
Here you go............http://www.credentials.gc.ca/jobs/ch...ecognition.asp

And............http://www.cicic.ca/415/credential-a...ervices.canada

HTH.
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

It sucks but BTECs are just A level equivalent in the eyes of pretty much anyone. 1 BTEC = 3 A levels if I remember rightly. There is no way that will get you max education points. It sounds like the failure is on the part of the consultants, not CIC. We all had to make sacrifices to meet the points, for me it was a year of skilled work experiance. You may want to consider returning to university to get the degree you nearly got, or look into alternative streams.

Very sorry you had this happen to you. Were you rejected by the CIO or the visa office? If the Visa office then you can still try appealing, but if it's CIO it's likely that even if they sided with you it could be rejected at the office itself.
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
It sucks but BTECs are just A level equivalent in the eyes of pretty much anyone.
It doesn't matter if they're equivalent to A levels though, if a BTEC is a full-time post-secondary college diploma (I'm not familiar with them, so am not sure if it is or not!) then it should count for points, the same as anything similar i.e. NVQ etc.

You could argue that a 2 yr apprenticeship is 'equivalent to A levels', but it still stands alone in CIC's eyes and gets an applicant points.
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I hope I am wrong for the sake of the applicant. It'll be interesting to see where this goes, how CIC rates BTECs and whether the refusal was correct or not. Losing out by 2 points after waiting for so long is rather unfair.
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Crushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant futureCrushing has a brilliant future

It doesn't matter if they're equivalent to A levels though, if a BTEC is a full-time post-secondary college diploma (I'm not familiar with them, so am not sure if it is or not!) then it should count for points, the same as anything similar i.e. NVQ etc.

You could argue that a 2 yr apprenticeship is 'equivalent to A levels', but it still stands alone in CIC's eyes and gets an applicant points.
As you rightly said, BTEC'S should actually count for points, the NVQ'S nowadays used to be the BTEC'S back 18 years ago!! in fact......
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious (and ignorant) about this. Suppose someone failed A-levels and then retook them at a college of some sort, would the additional two years spent retaking count? What if someone was held back a grade several times and took 2 or 3 years longer to complete secondary?
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm curious (and ignorant) about this. Suppose someone failed A-levels and then retook them at a college of some sort, would the additional two years spent retaking count? What if someone was held back a grade several times and took 2 or 3 years longer to complete secondary?
My understanding was that it's not really about the years spent learning but the highest level of education you have. The "years" thing is just an international way of desribing the level you are at. Hence why I think the BTEC has been considered by CIC as an A-Level type of qualification level. But I may be wrong as it seems like it's a bit more complicated than that based on what christmasoompa is saying.
Old May 23rd 2012, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Check this case out, a very positive outcome to what we are discussing I think...................Google........McLachlan v. Canada (MCI), 2009 FC 975

This gentleman had very similar scenario to myself............on education points, he was granted back to be processed.
Old May 23rd 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

Sorry to be reading about this. Ill just throw in a couple of things.
I dont know about CIC, but Unis in the uk normally count a BTEC as 2 a-levels points wise.
As for appealing; first off i would contact a lawyer, get them to advise you and then write a letter on your behalf. In truth the time it takes for appeals to go through, you could have re applied and found another way. Personally i would find dragging the entire thing through court to sour the experience and cost as much in time, money and effort as finding a job and going for PNP.

Whatever you do, best of luck and if i can offer any help just let me know.
Old May 23rd 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do for a living? apologies if you have already said what this is.

Would you consider attempting to come over on a TWP? you could apply for PR once you get here?

Just a thought...
Old May 23rd 2012, 11:34 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Well what we feared has just happened, we've had email from our consultant telling us we've been refused visa's I am so shocked and saddened beyond words........

My consultant explained that visa officer has made crucial mistake!!

Visa officer has awarded only 15 points for Education section, where I believe I acheive full 20 points (14+ years study!!!)

I HAVE BEEN REFUSED PR VISA'S, WHILE BEING IN A HIGHLY DEMANDING FIELD OF WORK FOR CANADA FOR THE SAKE OF:

2 YES 2 (TWO) POINTS SHORT???

What a ridiculous/stupid person this visa officer must be. They mentioned in their letter that they did not feel they needed to refer the application to their Program manager?????

Does anyone have any idea's of what can be done quickly.

I do not feel this is a big enough reason to be dragged 1-2 years into an appeal court etc ( cost, time wasted etc )

I will not give up my family's dream that easily!!!

Bal
Really sorry to hear your news, I hope you can engineer a fight back
Old May 24th 2012, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

I think the best bet is to document why you believe the visa office have made an error, and send a fax. Faxes tend to get more response than emails since it is harder to ignore a piece of paper!

I don't know enough about the education factors to directly assess this, but basically the onus is on you to prove to the visa office that they have made an error with the documents they had available at the time they made their decision. No new documentation will be considered.

IMO it's certainly worth getting all the arguments together and sending them a fax. You can't be any more rejected than you already are. But whilst waiting for a response, I would look into other options.

A job offer would award 15 extra points (10 in its own right, plus an extra 5 towards adaptability) which should give you ample points to apply. Be aware it is highly likely that the points matrix will change in July this year.

But I reckon appeal via fax - if that still comes back negative, look into trying to secure a job offer with a Canadian employer.

Best of luck,
Wayne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.