Rejected spouse

Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rejected spouse

Hi-we finally sent all of our forms off this week. We checked and double checked every form, the checklist and ensured we had all supporting documents. I am Canadian, husband British. We are now so nervous as we don't know what we will do if we are rejected - I have my heart set on moving home and starting a family and my husband has had enough of england since leaving the armed forces. We both have jobs in England, no criminal records, good education and my parents have given us a letter as we are living with them rent free to save for a deposit when we get there. Is is common for spouses to be rejected? Soooo nervousssss!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rejected spouse

Originally Posted by CanadianLove
Hi-we finally sent all of our forms off this week. We checked and double checked every form, the checklist and ensured we had all supporting documents. I am Canadian, husband British. We are now so nervous as we don't know what we will do if we are rejected - I have my heart set on moving home and starting a family and my husband has had enough of england since leaving the armed forces. We both have jobs in England, no criminal records, good education and my parents have given us a letter as we are living with them rent free to save for a deposit when we get there. Is is common for spouses to be rejected? Soooo nervousssss!
If you are Canadian and intend to move back to Canada, there would have to be a serious underlying reason to reject the application for a spouse. Does not sound like you would have a problem.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine. Bloody well relax, woman
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Steveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to allSteveh27wp is a name known to all

I have to say that I agree with el-richo and the Aviator......it is my view that spousal sponsorship is by far the most straight forward way to achieve PR. There are very few matters that will stand in your way in achieving the appropriate status.
Steve
Old Jul 19th 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the same position (except we had our kids in the UK). I can't think of a reason they'd reject my sponsorship or his visa application, but there's always a chance so I sit and wait and worry. I just want to go home, get settled and move on with our lives. Fingers crossed all goes well for us both!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:11 pm
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

No problem there at all, if anything easier for you all as that letter will be strong and your being Canadian too will all go in your favour.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:50 pm
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

Chill-ax - you have an administrative hoop to jump through (assuming that your OH does not have a criminal record or a serious medical condition) in the most straight forward category.

Good luck.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:06 am
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

I'm no expert in the spousal sponsorship route but I reckon it would have to be one cold-hearted immigration officer to reject your application and if they did I would imagine it would have to be for something quite extreme. I agree with everyone else when they say relax, though easier said than done sometimes I know
Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

londonottawa is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol you sound like me and my wife. It will be fine, when we were in Canada preparing the forms, we contacted Mississauga to ask a few questions to make sure we have everything done correctly before we send it off. The impression we got from them was "you have nothing to worry about because its a spouse application, just ensure the forms are filled in correctly" We told them that we would be living with her parents and they will support us should we need it and they said "that's not a problem, just mention that in the application and where the place is".

Me and my Canadian wife are living in England, we have a house here and will be selling it once we get to Canada. (Theres no point selling it if we havent got the visa!). We are going to live with her parents in Ottawa and will be taking some savings to keep us going for a good while while the house in london is being sold.

What we were worried about was the sponsorship part of the application, heres why:

1) My wife hasn't worked since finishing her college degree.
2) she has no savings (apart from mine!)
3) She has no tax forms to show her earnings, because she hasn't worked!
4) she doesn't have a house in Canada
5) no work experience

....and after all that, Mississauga still approved her sponsor application within 4 weeks, no questions asked!

Our application is currently in london and has been processing since the 20th of July. We initially sent our applications off at the beginning of June. So In less than 2 months they have completed my wifes application in Mississauga and approved, sent the file to london and London has started processing it.

Dont worry about it. As long as you are legally married and no underlying reason why they might reject you (like a long criminal record) you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Let us know how you get on!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Allie73
We're in the same position (except we had our kids in the UK). I can't think of a reason they'd reject my sponsorship or his visa application, but there's always a chance so I sit and wait and worry. I just want to go home, get settled and move on with our lives. Fingers crossed all goes well for us both!
You do not need to wait until the whole process is finished before moving back to Canada.

We applied from London, but intended to move back while the application was still being processed. We got the Sponsorship Approval confirmation, and flew a few weeks later, doing a "dual intent entry". Details of that process here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7819469

Once we arrived we were even able to apply for OHIP. See: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=ohip
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewillow
You do not need to wait until the whole process is finished before moving back to Canada.

We applied from London, but intended to move back while the application was still being processed. We got the Sponsorship Approval confirmation, and flew a few weeks later, doing a "dual intent entry". Details of that process here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7819469
But aren't you still stuck with tourist visa conditions, no work, problems leaving Canada to travel in the meantime, etc? And what if residence application is refused or delayed for some reason?

It is almost always a bad idea to uproot and move in anticipation of a visa being granted.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

It all depends on what you need to do. If you are in no rush to move to Canada, then I would agree with you - wait out the visa. But we wanted to get our daughter into school for a normal September start, and knew the PR application would not be processed in time. So we moved early, she went to school (and has thrived!), and PR visas were issued at the start of December.

Originally Posted by JAJ
But aren't you still stuck with tourist visa conditions, no work, problems leaving Canada to travel in the meantime, etc? And what if residence application is refused or delayed for some reason?
We have three kids so my wife was not going to work (for money) in any case. We had no problems traveling. Reentry to Canada following day trips to the US was effortless, and they did not even bother stamping my wife's UK passport.

If PR was delayed, that was no problem because we were getting on with living life and having actual PR actually did not change much.

If PR was refused, then we would have appealed (which we can do with an OUTOFCANADA application), and if it was still a problem we would have said "fine - lets move back to Europe. Not a big deal." This is the same as would have happened if we had stayed in Europe and been refused by the Canadians for some reason.

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is almost always a bad idea to uproot and move in anticipation of a visa being granted.
I agree in general, but I also think it depends on the (family) situation, the type of visa, why you are going, and what is important for you.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

anewPR is on a distinguished road

As your husband is a British Citizen, to be honest as long as there are no inadmissible or medical problems, your application should be fine.

Make sure that your intent to return to Canada is fully proven etc. Applying for jobs whilst in the UK helps and stuff like that.

If your husband is a British Citizen not by descent, however, you will encounter a lot more problems. If you check out other forums that are world wide, you will see that Canadians sponsoring spouses from non European Countries or spouses that have a non European descent, do have more of a problem proving the marriage is genuine.

The fact is, there are a tiny amount of fraudulent marriage claims to gain PR from UK citizens of descent. There are a huge amount of claims from non Brits that have gone into a marriage just to obtain a PR to Canada and CIC are aware of this.

These fraudulent applications really mess up the genuine ones,sorry to say but yours sounds just perfect to me.

No problem.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anewPR
Make sure that your intent to return to Canada is fully proven etc. Applying for jobs whilst in the UK helps and stuff like that.
Not needed. We had a letter from my parents saying that we were going to stay with them when we arrived - that was all. No job evidence was submitted. Oh, and I think I wrote a simple letter saying that I "intended" to return to Canada with my family.

Did you have difficulty proving that you were going to return to Canada?

Originally Posted by anewPR
If your husband is a British Citizen not by descent, however, you will encounter a lot more problems. If you check out other forums that are world wide, you will see that Canadians sponsoring spouses from non European Countries or spouses that have a non European descent, do have more of a problem proving the marriage is genuine.

These fraudulent applications really mess up the genuine ones,sorry to say but yours sounds just perfect to me.
Again, that is not our experience. Were you given a hard time as a "British Citizen not by descent"?

My wife, who is a naturalized British Citizen, had no problems with the PR application. We included photocopies of the information page of both her passports. No questions, no problems.

Note that if you are a naturalized British Citizen, you have usually already lived in the UK for 7-10 years. And most naturalized British citizens are in no hurry to leave.