Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Rejected and Banned for Life from Canada by the CIC

Rejected and Banned for Life from Canada by the CIC

Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

goolash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rejected and Banned for Life from Canada by the CIC

Got a letter from the CIC saturday. Not only have they refused my app for PR (Family Class) BUT they have also banned me from entering Canada FOR LIFE due to a conviction for damaging property in March 2007.

They quoted a paragraph of their guidlines as justification saying that in Can its a 10yr max sentence and im therefore illegible.

Here are my Questions for the forum.
1. Can anyone recomend a TOP immigration Lawyer in London
2. Was the rest of my application successful - or would it have been considered? IE would the outcome have been aproval IF it was.
3. Can i reapply after my conviction is spent?

My Girl and Sponsor is a Canadian passport holder.

Any thoughts please?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Rejected and Banned for Life from Canada by the CIC

Oh can i add that the property was 2 small glass panes in a neighbours front door - i was fined £200.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:17 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a bit extreme for 2 glass panels - unless of course you had a weapon in your hand and was shouting "here's Johnny"
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

It wasnt anything quite so Hollywood...but its turned into a horror story.

Is banned for life a usual outcome for something like this? Irony is if i hadnt applied for anything to the CIC, i'd be able to come and go as I please on a standard tourist visa.

Cruel world, what are my chances of at least getting this part of thedecision overturned?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by goolash
Got a letter from the CIC saturday. Not only have they refused my app for PR (Family Class) BUT they have also banned me from entering Canada FOR LIFE due to a conviction for damaging property in March 2007.

They quoted a paragraph of their guidlines as justification saying that in Can its a 10yr max sentence and im therefore illegible.

2. Was the rest of my application successful - or would it have been considered? IE would the outcome have been aproval IF it was.

Any thoughts please?

Gees that sucks! Sorry, can't offer any advice at all. I do think thats going a bit far though. I would hire a good lawyer and fight in out in the courts. Good luck with it
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Shredder is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the actual wording of the letter where it said you were "banned for life"?

I'm no expert, but I would point you to read up on "criminal rehabilitation" on the CIC website for more info.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:04 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Also I find it really odd that a Canadian court would fine you 200 pounds.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Also I find it really odd that a Canadian court would fine you 200 pounds.
He was fined £200 for the damage he caused here.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cookie
Sounds a bit extreme for 2 glass panels - unless of course you had a weapon in your hand and was shouting "here's Johnny"
Or " Get some! Get some"

Em how about asking the local police constabulary or a lawyer to write a nice letter saying what a nice chap you really are (will cost you!) If you only have this conviction and it is spent!
I would also write a jolly nice sookie up letter my self stating how traumatised you were causing this damage and how ashamed you were etc, how you are a completely nice dude etc.
Finally read the CIC link in detail most lawyers in the UK will not know the details of immigration to Canada unless they are specific immigration lawyers!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
Or " Get some! Get some"

Em how about asking the local police constabulary or a lawyer to write a nice letter saying what a nice chap you really are (will cost you!) If you only have this conviction and it is spent!
I would also write a jolly nice sookie up letter my self stating how traumatised you were causing this damage and how ashamed you were etc, how you are a completely nice dude etc.
Finally read the CIC link in detail most lawyers in the UK will not know the details of immigration to Canada unless they are specific immigration lawyers!
But make sure it's not illegible
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by act1980
He was fined £200 for the damage he caused here.
Correct - that was the penalty imposed by the Crown Court here in the UK...
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Correct - that was the penalty imposed by the Crown Court here in the UK...
Surely "shirley" That means (if it is paid in full) that you have therefore cleared the punishment and you are now awaiting to clear the time spent for the crime at immigration only!

If this is a one off crime spree! then what about the local sheriff etc and a plea type thing as I mentioned earlier? I am sure this will be the best approach if there is anyway to get the immigration to turn about their discission?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts please?
geez, a bit harsh..... i can't believe that breaking someone's window is a 10yr max for a start....

Canada is big on its charter of rights and freedoms, i don't know if there would be a way to approach it from that angle.

Canada uses common law so it would have to be based on some legal precedent.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:15 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Under HMCS website:

"The Crown Court deals with more serious criminal cases such as murder, rape or robbery, some of which are on appeal or referred from Magistrates' courts. Trials are heard by a Judge and a 12 person jury. Members of the public are selected for jury service or may have to go to court as witnesses.

The Crown Court is based at 77 centres across England and Wales.

It deals with cases transferred from the Magistrates' Courts. It also hears appeals against decisions of Magistrate's Courts, and deals with cases sent for sentence from Magistrates' Courts.
".

That could be why you are banned from Canada.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:21 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

What EXACTLY were you convicted of? While the fine was minimal and your actions appear somewhat minor perhaps it is how your conviction is worded that is causing the entry refusal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.