Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Registering a firm in Canada (Vancouver, BC)

Registering a firm in Canada (Vancouver, BC)

Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

borce is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering a firm in Canada (Vancouver, BC)

Hello,
I will be landing in Vancouver, BC in September and I would like to register an independent consulting firm upon my arrival. I work for a big consulting firm now in USA, and we have a few clients in Canada, to which I would like to offer my services.
Has anyone been through the experience of registering a firm in Canada (specifically in BC)? Is there "best" province to register it (like delaware in USA)? What all agencies are involved, forms, fees, etc? Are there any tax breaks?
Any info woudl be helpful

thanks
BG
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:01 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Registering a firm in Canada (Vancouver, BC)

Start here:

http://www.sb.gov.bc.ca/

Regardless where you incorporate (if you are thinking of incorporating) your business you still will need in most Provinces to go through Provincial registration to operate in particular Province.

If you want to run a sole proprietorship then all you'll need is to obtain a business licence from the municipality you'll be operating from.

If your line of business/profession falls into a regulated occupation then you need to obtain proper registration or licence as well. See here:

http://cicic.ca/professions/indexe.stm

Originally Posted by borce
Hello,
I will be landing in Vancouver, BC in September and I would like to register an independent consulting firm upon my arrival. I work for a big consulting firm now in USA, and we have a few clients in Canada, to which I would like to offer my services.
Has anyone been through the experience of registering a firm in Canada (specifically in BC)? Is there "best" province to register it (like delaware in USA)? What all agencies are involved, forms, fees, etc? Are there any tax breaks?
Any info woudl be helpful

thanks
BG

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jun 27th 2005 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

borce is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You! Your help (as always) is greatly appreciated!

[QUOTE=Andrew Miller]Start here:

http://www.sb.gov.bc.ca/
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 3:32 am
Just Joined

Spouse444 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi gentelemen,

I have a similar question. I am a new landed resident here in Canada. I would like to establish a consulting firm in Toronto. My line of business is Human Resources Management and Training.

Do I simply need to register my business and select a name?

My plan in the initial year is to work as a freelance (roaming) consultant, is it mandatory that I have to have an office?

Would appreciate your input.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 4:40 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Simply register it, select the form (self-employed, sole proprietorship, limited or incorporated) and follow requirements in your Province. You don't need to do anything more than getting business licence if self-employed or sole proprietor and if not in regulated profession.

You don't need to have a formal office, you may run it from home office.

Originally Posted by Spouse444
Hi gentelemen,

I have a similar question. I am a new landed resident here in Canada. I would like to establish a consulting firm in Toronto. My line of business is Human Resources Management and Training.

Do I simply need to register my business and select a name?

My plan in the initial year is to work as a freelance (roaming) consultant, is it mandatory that I have to have an office?

Would appreciate your input.