REFUSED..!! DRINK DRIVING BAN'S.

Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:02 pm
glw
Just Joined

glw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really nice
Thumbs down REFUSED..!! DRINK DRIVING BAN'S.

HI all, Having been recently refused a work permit, because of 2 drink drive bans, one which was in 1996, the other 2000 having a 3 year ban on the latter.I've been told not to re-apply for a work permit or it will be refused under the same grounds. If i would like to look at rehabilitational circumstances then you can find at canada.org. etc etc. Having looked at these it seems to me, that could re apply under rehab, if under canadian law my crime would carry less than ,a 10 year sentence to jail. British law, 2nd offence automatic 3 year ban.
I'm needing to find out under canadian law what could my sentence of been, HELP.....
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all
Default Re: REFUSED..!! DRINK DRIVING BAN'S.

Hi,

Sorry I have no idea, but someone will be a long soon to help you out I guess.
My OH is waiting for Rehab approval for minor offences from over 20 years ago so there`s hope for us all!!

Good luck with everything - hope it all works out for you?

Mrs T
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of those rare occasions where I am not inclined to be helpful to a fellow forum member

Obviously, I do not know the circumstances, but to be caught once might be viewed by some as an error of judgement. To be caught again a few years later strikes me as reckless and/or stupid. It begs the question, how many other times did you get away with it?

I am heartened that CHC have issued a refusal at this time. ( But having said all that, how hypocritical !! The sytems to deal with drink-driving here are crap! )

Drink driving is one of my big bug-bears - I've physically scraped too many people up off the road to feel otherwise.

Sometimes you just have to take it on the chin that the consequences of your actions do come back to haunt you. I'm not being a sanctimonious old cow on this one - If you feel you are honestly rehabilitated and can prove it to the High Commission, then I wish you well in your endeavours to make a life in Canada.

There - got that off my chest
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
This is one of those rare occasions where I am not inclined to be helpful to a fellow forum member

Obviously, I do not know the circumstances, but to be caught once might be viewed by some as an error of judgement. To be caught again a few years later strikes me as reckless and/or stupid. It begs the question, how many other times did you get away with it?

I am heartened that CHC have issued a refusal at this time. ( But having said all that, how hypocritical !! The sytems to deal with drink-driving here are crap! )

Drink driving is one of my big bug-bears - I've physically scraped too many people up off the road to feel otherwise.

Sometimes you just have to take it on the chin that the consequences of your actions do come back to haunt you. I'm not being a sanctimonious old cow on this one - If you feel you are honestly rehabilitated and can prove it to the High Commission, then I wish you well in your endeavours to make a life in Canada.

ann m,

I'm so glad of your response. You said exactly what I was about to say, only you put it in a much more dignified and controlled manner!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:18 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with ann. Only a fool would believe that you only drove while under the influence on two occasions and that you got caught both times.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:12 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glw
HI all, Having been recently refused a work permit, because of 2 drink drive bans, one which was in 1996, the other 2000 having a 3 year ban on the latter.I've been told not to re-apply for a work permit or it will be refused under the same grounds. If i would like to look at rehabilitational circumstances then you can find at canada.org. etc etc. Having looked at these it seems to me, that could re apply under rehab, if under canadian law my crime would carry less than ,a 10 year sentence to jail. British law, 2nd offence automatic 3 year ban.
I'm needing to find out under canadian law what could my sentence of been, HELP.....

I`m only going to say that he/she asked a legitimate question (and was honest about it) ! What would be the sentence in Canada ?
What he/she did (twice) was just plain stupid but on the other hand there comes a time when some people could do with a fresh start and we are NOT a judge and jury !
You must be aware that you will get hostile answers to your question when its a subject that is close to a lot of peoples hearts.
Maybe if you try and explain why it happened twice and what is so different now then people might be more understanding !

If you have changed then i wish you luck and hope you find your ideal new life !

Last edited by dazzlerdaz; Jun 16th 2008 at 11:15 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:06 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
I`m only going to say that he/she asked a legitimate question (and was honest about it) ! What would be the sentence in Canada ?
What he/she did (twice) was just plain stupid but on the other hand there comes a time when some people could do with a fresh start and we are NOT a judge and jury !
You must be aware that you will get hostile answers to your question when its a subject that is close to a lot of peoples hearts.
Maybe if you try and explain why it happened twice and what is so different now then people might be more understanding !

If you have changed then i wish you luck and hope you find your ideal new life !
On indictment the maximum is 5 years.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

idem
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:04 pm
glw
Just Joined

glw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really niceglw is just really nice
Arrow Re: REFUSED..!! DRINK DRIVING BAN'S.

All i can say is i totally agree with you all..!!! That period in my life was stupid, i reached the lowest of the low. honesty is the best policy, and i'm very very sure people are entering canada with far worse crimes than mine.
Since the last offence i have stopped drinking all together, and now run my own very carpentry & joinery business. I can see why people judge on face value as we all do ! and to explain all, it'd take a couple of 'novel's' to do so, lets just say i've led a full life. And it's good to here some heart felt replies , which telling the truth usually does.

Last edited by glw; Jun 17th 2008 at 7:06 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Lets not go too rough on the guy, at least he was asking about his own problem, not that of some non existent "friend" who overstayed a visa or something...

My initial reaction was like Anns, but wasnt there something in some book about "he who is without sin casting the first stone" or something....
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:10 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

I dont think it matters why it happened once or twice or 10 times, we are not judges or juries nor are we god who can judge based on the limited facts she has given. I definately dont condone the actions of drink driving but this person asked a question, she did not ask for a judgement, a rant or to be preached too and its not my place to give one nor is it anyone elses, no matter what a lot of people on this forum think.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer the question without getting on their soap box. After all this is supposed to be an expats forum passing on and sharing knowledge and information to help others not a political and judgemental ideals forum, save that for the courts & the Canadian authorities where it belongs after all thats their job.

My OH used to be a cop in TO so I shall ask when I get home from work if no one else has answered at that stage, she should know.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glw
All i can say is i totally agree with you all..!!! That period in my life was stupid, i reached the lowest of the low. honesty is the best policy, and i'm very very sure people are entering canada with far worse crimes than mine.
Since the last offence i have stopped drinking all together, and now run my own very carpentry & joinery business. I can see why people judge on face value as we all do ! and to explain all, it'd take a couple of 'novel's' to do so, lets just say i've led a full life. And it's good to here some heart felt replies , which telling the truth usually does.
Well done on stopping drinking and getting your life together.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glw
Since the last offence i have stopped drinking all together, and now run my own very carpentry & joinery business.
Well done, and thank you for the honesty and clarification - not that it was needed I guess

Originally Posted by iaink
My initial reaction was like Anns, but wasnt there something in some book about "he who is without sin casting the first stone" or something....
Yep - I'm sure there is - and I'm sure I am not without 'sin' either (not that I said that I was ) - but I did explain this was one of my own personal "issues".

Originally Posted by Mikey B
... did not ask for a judgement, a rant or to be preached too and its not my place to give one nor is it anyone elses, no matter what a lot of people on this forum think.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer the question without getting on their soap box. .
PMM has already provided the answer to the question posed. (I explained why I was not inclined to assist.)

I rarely voice an opinion on anything on this forum - I have a laugh and I help where I can. Again, this one just 'got' me on the day. Whether I came across as judemental or on a soap box, I don't know. I believe my input was quite polite and measured, actually . But yes, it probably was not appropriate in the immigration section.

I also explained why the thread caught me in the mood it did. Giving CPR to a 16 yr old girl, or holding the fractured skull of an 18 yr old lad while the fire brigade cut him out of his car kinda ruins the mood.

Originally Posted by MrsDV
Exactly.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 11:22 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDV
MrsDV.......So glad you can now see the other side of the story ! We all have problems in life and too many people are to quick to judge others ! what goes around comes around
Old Jun 17th 2008, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
what goes around comes around
I'm sure that sentence is aimed as a little dig at MrsDV or me, or anyone else that voiced an opinion? So be it ....

But you see, even though you may not have meant it in this way, this thread just goes to prove your point, if you believe in fate, or karma or whatever. What has 'gone around' for the OP, as 'come around' to bite them in the proverbial derriere !

Rehabilitation in the CHC sense of the word seems well underway, and it may just be that the "10 yrs since the last offence" bit is the only hurdle in the way. I'm sure the OP will get to Canada and will work hard to do so. And as I said before, I wish them well in their endeavours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.