Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Refund of all pre March 2008 Federal skilled worker applications

Refund of all pre March 2008 Federal skilled worker applications

Old Sep 17th 2012, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Heretostay2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Refund of all pre March 2008 Federal skilled worker applications

Hi all,
I'm not sure if anyone here is in the same situation, but I found out just recently that my application for permanant residence to Canada under the skilled worker programme made in November 2007 will be refunded, according to CIC's own website. I contacted the Canadian embassy in London in April in regard to this and they have been very slow in getting back to me but it seems that that this change has now been signed into law, as of 29th June and all applications will soon be refunded.
This is an absolutely pathetic, unjustified, and unfair decision in my opinion, as I have waited so long for my application to be processed to then find out about this not even by email/post, but contacting the visa office in London to ask about the status of my application. What are peoples thoughts on this? Is anyone in the same position or know of anyone who is taking legal action in regard to this. It seems that there are very few options now to immigrant to Canada permanantly and for some reason CIC seems to be closing the door to many immigrants who would help to develop the economy of Canada. Link is below.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm.../notice-qa.asp
Old Sep 17th 2012, 6:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refund of all pre March 2008 Federal skilled worker applications

This was posted about at the beginning of the year when the news was made public, so have a hunt and you'll find relevant threads and many others in the same boat.

Good luck.

Edit: I've just looked at your previous posts and seen that you are already working in Canada? If that's the case then you can at least probably re-apply for PR, and the good news is that processing times have sped up considerably now they've got rid of the backlog.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 17th 2012 at 6:42 am.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heretostay2011
Hi all,
I'm not sure if anyone here is in the same situation, but I found out just recently that my application for permanant residence to Canada under the skilled worker programme made in November 2007 will be refunded, according to CIC's own website. I contacted the Canadian embassy in London in April in regard to this and they have been very slow in getting back to me but it seems that that this change has now been signed into law, as of 29th June and all applications will soon be refunded.
This is an absolutely pathetic, unjustified, and unfair decision in my opinion, as I have waited so long for my application to be processed to then find out about this not even by email/post, but contacting the visa office in London to ask about the status of my application. What are peoples thoughts on this? Is anyone in the same position or know of anyone who is taking legal action in regard to this. It seems that there are very few options now to immigrant to Canada permanantly and for some reason CIC seems to be closing the door to many immigrants who would help to develop the economy of Canada. Link is below.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm.../notice-qa.asp
We are in the same position, unbelievable
Old Sep 17th 2012, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
This was posted about at the beginning of the year when the news was made public, so have a hunt and you'll find relevant threads and many others in the same boat.

Good luck.

Edit: I've just looked at your previous posts and seen that you are already working in Canada? If that's the case then you can at least probably re-apply for PR, and the good news is that processing times have sped up considerably now they've got rid of the backlog.
PNP through Sydney,NS/CPP Ottawa are being processed in between 5-10 months in the moment.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
We are in the same position, unbelievable
Sorry meant to say same position as in not now being processed, still in uk though
Old Sep 17th 2012, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Good luck.

@ christmasoompa, Thanks for your reply. Yes I am still in Canada although only on a visitor visa. My previous employer applied for an LMO for me but it was refused as I believe it was deemed that they had not made a serious enough attempt to hire a Canadian worker. I found some of the posts relating to the CIC decision at the end of June. As I understand it to reapply for the PR under the FSW programme you have to work within one of 26 occupations (none of which are mine) or have received a positive AEO arranged employment opinion. Looking into this, it seems highly unlikely an employer could wait 6 months an upward before I would receive a positive AEO and have my main skilled worker application processed before I am able to start work. Unfortunately, I think my dream of settling in Canada is dead. To coffeepot, I feel your pain.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 5:23 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

@ christmasoompa, Thanks for your reply. Yes I am still in Canada although only on a visitor visa. My previous employer applied for an LMO for me but it was refused as I believe it was deemed that they had not made a serious enough attempt to hire a Canadian worker. I found some of the posts relating to the CIC decision at the end of June. As I understand it to reapply for the PR under the FSW programme you have to work within one of 26 occupations (none of which are mine) or have received a positive AEO arranged employment opinion. Looking into this, it seems highly unlikely an employer could wait 6 months an upward before I would receive a positive AEO and have my main skilled worker application processed before I am able to start work. Unfortunately, I think my dream of settling in Canada is dead. To coffeepot, I feel your pain.
How long have you worked in Canada?
Old Sep 17th 2012, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Are you eligible for the Canadian Experience Class route? 2 years of skilled work in either NOC 0,A,B or try a different employer and the LMO or try to find an employer to apply (if not already) to be accepted for the PNP and then apply to become a Provincial Nominee, much quicker than AOR. Good luck! I feel for you. This is really unfair and I believe upsetting!
Old Sep 17th 2012, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
How long have you worked in Canada?
Hi AmyDavid, I have been working in Canada for 12 months. If it were over two years then as I have been informed on this site and by others I have met in Canada with some understanding of the immigration rules here I would be able to apply for PR under the Canadian experience class programme, Unfortunately I am not eligible for this as I do not have that lenght of work experience here although I am hopeful that soon there may be a change in the rules on this.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Are you eligible for the Canadian Experience Class route? 2 years of skilled work in either NOC 0,A,B or try a different employer and the LMO or try to find an employer to apply (if not already) to be accepted for the PNP and then apply to become a Provincial Nominee, much quicker than AOR. Good luck! I feel for you. This is really unfair and I believe upsetting!
Hi ninaDGBCA, thanks for your reply, as stated in my previous post I do not have 2 years of work experience in Canada which would allow me to apply for PR under the Canadian ERxperience Class route. I am still looking for an employer while I am here in Toronto who may be able to assist me with applying for an LMO, this is a long shot at this late stage but any option is worth trying I feel especially as I know that Canada is the country for me. I just wanted to say thanks alot to everyone who has responded here, your advice is very helpful and I appreciate it.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:50 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi AmyDavid, I have been working in Canada for 12 months. If it were over two years then as I have been informed on this site and by others I have met in Canada with some understanding of the immigration rules here I would be able to apply for PR under the Canadian experience class programme, Unfortunately I am not eligible for this as I do not have that lenght of work experience here although I am hopeful that soon there may be a change in the rules on this.
The CEC is being reduced to one year come Jan 2013, so you can apply then.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:55 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
The CEC is being reduced to one year come Jan 2013, so you can apply then.

Maybe. If you read the new release, it appears the 1 year working for CEC is going to be for students graduating in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2012-09-14.asp
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Maybe. If you read the new release, it appears the 1 year working for CEC is going to be for students graduating in Canada.

I think the mention of students is as an example of those who currently need two years work experience; from the press release:

With the proposed change, all applicants will require 12 months of Canadian work experience gained in the 36 months preceding their application. Some applicants currently require 24 months of full-time work experience. This change will make the program more flexible for international student graduates.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

That isn't how I understand it - "In order to make the CEC even more responsive to Canada’s labour market needs and economic goals, CIC is proposing changes that will expedite the transition to permanent residence of those already working successfully in Canada. With the proposed change, all applicants will require 12 months of Canadian work experience gained in the 36 months preceding their application. "
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I use these 2 bits as my interpretation

The CEC, Canada’s fastest growing economic immigration program, offers a pathway to permanent residency for international student graduates as well as others with skilled work experience in Canada.

With the proposed change, all applicants will require 12 months of Canadian work experience gained in the 36 months preceding their application.

To me that means students who have graduated or others with skilled work experience.

Time will tell I guess unless they really mean other students who have not graduated but have skilled work experience and not meaning someone who wasnt a student and has not graduated but has skilled work experience. I guess thats why we employ lawyers to sort out the meanings of such statements.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Sep 18th 2012 at 12:33 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.