Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Received PR, got to land in 17 days!!!

Received PR, got to land in 17 days!!!

Old Jun 30th 2012, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

fizzyo2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Received PR, got to land in 17 days!!!

Hi

A bit stressed!! We had our PR today BUT we have to land on 17th July. We had meds in Feb and none of our passports expire until mar 2013 at the earliest. Of course we want to go, but the thought of paying for 4 tickets to Canada in July (Canadian affair is coming in about £2400, money we really need for the move) just to activate and fly back........!!!
We thought that you had 12 months from meds or expiring of passport (whichever first) Any advice please?

Last edited by fizzyo2; Jun 30th 2012 at 2:56 am.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice
Default Re: Received PR, got to land in 17 days!!!

Congrats on getting PR

I have no idea why you need to land so soon?? Have you read all the small print???
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:24 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, congrats on the PR! I was only wondering about how you guys were doing just the other day! Hey, I'm no expert but I too thought it was 12 months from the date of your medicals.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

We have looked at every bit of small print there is. We can find no link to the date we have been given- it feels like an arbitrary date plucked from the air!
Just wondering if anyone has been given less than the 12 months from meds/expiry of passports. We want to be excited but the thought of taking a 11 year old and a 5 yr old on a 'day trip' to Canada fills me with dread.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fizzyo2
Hi

A bit stressed!! We had our PR today BUT we have to land on 17th July. We had meds in Feb and none of our passports expire until mar 2013 at the earliest. Of course we want to go, but the thought of paying for 4 tickets to Canada in July (Canadian affair is coming in about £2400, money we really need for the move) just to activate and fly back........!!!
We thought that you had 12 months from meds or expiring of passport (whichever first) Any advice please?
Send London a case specific inquiry about it - they may have just had a glitch.

file number, if available
full name
date of birth
mailing address
telephone and fax number
nationality

In order to best use our resources, we do not accept enquiries in person or by phone. If your enquiry is urgent due to factors outside of your control, send an e-mail clearly indicating “URGENT:” followed by the reason for the urgency.

Online Webform:
https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/cicemai...mission=london

Direct e-mail address:
[email protected]
Old Jun 30th 2012, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Hi Siouxie,
Thanks for the reply
We have indeed sent a case specific email
Hoping it is a mistake, the landing date is hand written on the covering letter so perhaps they just misread a date?
Old Jun 30th 2012, 2:57 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fizzyo2
Hi Siouxie,
Thanks for the reply
We have indeed sent a case specific email
Hoping it is a mistake, the landing date is hand written on the covering letter so perhaps they just misread a date?
If you have PR visa in your passport, the 'valid to' date on the visa is the date to go by. Does that tie up with your meds?
Old Jun 30th 2012, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi
We had to send copies of our passports and we received separate sheets with our photos on. All our meds were on 15th Feb this year and this is clearly shown on these sheets; none of our passports expire until mar 2013 at the earliest so the date of 17th July seems completely unrelated to anything else
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:16 am
BNT
Just Joined

BNT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fizzy,

I think the reason you got an early timeline to land is because you may not be allowed to travel if you have less than six months in your passport. It is an international requirement, so my advise is to complete the landing and request a new passport as soon as possible.

Regards,

BNT
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BNT
I think the reason you got an early timeline to land is because you may not be allowed to travel if you have less than six months in your passport.
OP says in the first post that none of their passports expire until May 2013 at the earliest.

Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi BNT
Thanks for the reply
The earliest expiry is 8 months from date to land, so if that is the case wouldn't they have given us till sept 17th? This would be 6 months before 18 march 2013.

Sorry for confusion Christmasoompa I keep putting Mar for March. Heads in a such a spin I'm surprised I have written anything that makes sense!!

Last edited by fizzyo2; Jul 1st 2012 at 3:26 am.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:37 am
BNT
Just Joined

Hi Christmas, I know but you are not allowed to travel with your passport, unless there is at least six months from the expiration date. In most cases, they use eight to nine months to cater for delays and round trips.

Remember, six months from the expiration date of the passport is the minimum period to must have to travel.

- BNT
Old Jul 1st 2012, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Had a quick look at the letter sent by Canadian High Commission.

" Your COPR will expire one year after the date of your medical examinations. However, if your passport or any of your family member passports are due to expire before this date, all COPRs will expire on the date that the first passport expires. You must enter Canada on or before the expiry date on your COPR"

When we had our medicals (Feb 15th 2012) we had 13 months before any passports expired. The letter seems to indicate we are going on Medical date.

Also

"For your COPR document to have maximum validity, all passports should be valid for at least 12 months from the date of your medical examinations"
Old Jul 1st 2012, 4:04 am
BNT
Just Joined

I understand all that you have said and which is correct. However, the reality is you cannot travel with a passport that is less than six months valid from the expiration date.

I would advise you to comply with the due date given by the visa.

- BNT
Old Jul 1st 2012, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to think there is a glitch or an error.
Canada does not impose the 6 month passport validity.
Perhaps the OP just wait the few days for a reply from CIC and get a definitive answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.