Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Recce visit / physio exam Oct/Nov10

Recce visit / physio exam Oct/Nov10

Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

fizzyo2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recce visit / physio exam Oct/Nov10

Hi All,

My exam date has come through and tickets are booked!
All four of us are arriving in Calgary late Oct. We are going to do a recce trip which will finish off with me taking a physiotherapy exam.

We are using the recce to get a feel of where we would like to live (Okotoks, Cochrane, Airdrie) and get my face known in the local health care centres.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to approach potential health care employers?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Recce visit / physio exam Oct/Nov10

Hi there

We are travelling to Vancouver early Nov so my partner can take an OT exam and then we spend a few weeks floating around looking at suburbs to live and touching base with potential employers. There will be a prevalent health authority (for us its Vancouver Coastal Health Authority) and thats where to start and we are also using groups via linkedin to gain traction and contacts.

We are as yet undecided between suburban Vancouver and Victoria, looked at Calgary but tooooo cold.

G luck
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 10:51 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Just bumping this for you. I'll ask at work. Good luck with the exam ....
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi 99,

I assume from your post that OT is a similar process to physiotherapy. If so I assume your OH is working hard to get to grips with yet more exams!

Don't know about you but the whole process is daunting, although if it was easy everybody would be doing it!!

Anyway I hope your visit goes well and the exam is successful!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

Thank you fizzy wish you well also

OT conversion exam effectively, she is worried but I feel sure an experienced practitioner from a country with good quality training should pass provided you take on board the Canadian perspective. She has also bought the books and study materials so study times at weekend mornings are my time to get out and go to the gym / squash court!

She also had to get her uni to provide info to an evaluation agency just in order to be accepted to sit the exam. What I cant get my head around is if they put these professions on the skill shortage lists surely they should make it easy not difficult for relevant professions to get into Canada. Bonkers.

I truly hope this is not a sign of a wider propensity to bureaucracy.

Chin up
Old Aug 24th 2010, 3:40 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 99problems View Post
Thank you fizzy wish you well also

OT conversion exam effectively, she is worried but I feel sure an experienced practitioner from a country with good quality training should pass provided you take on board the Canadian perspective. She has also bought the books and study materials so study times at weekend mornings are my time to get out and go to the gym / squash court!

She also had to get her uni to provide info to an evaluation agency just in order to be accepted to sit the exam. What I cant get my head around is if they put these professions on the skill shortage lists surely they should make it easy not difficult for relevant professions to get into Canada. Bonkers.

I truly hope this is not a sign of a wider propensity to bureaucracy

Chin up
I find that it is.

Good luck with the exams
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all

Hello fizzio

Good luck with your exams, I'm a fizzio too, got my PR and moving once our house is sold. Haven't done anything about getting my credentials recognised as yet, secretly hoping by the time I get there they will have changed the process and we wont have to do exams any more!! I know physio is on a list of professions they are re evaluating, but no doubt exam wont be dropped. I should get the process moving , I've been in MSK for 10 years so I'm really looking forward to re visiting respiratory....not. Hope all goes well for you lets hope its a breeze!

Justie
Old Aug 25th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hi 99,

Yep they don't make it easy for us. How easy /not the exams are is a debatable point. It's 25yrs since I qualified. I'll be looking at areas I haven't worked in since centurion was a rank and not a tank! However, having spoken to people who were successful, like all things if you put the work in it should be alright??!!

Anyway good luck to you both, and I expect to hear you are looking like Arnie by the time she has finished her exams!

Cheers,

fizzyo2
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi justie,

You and I are virtually neighbours! I'm from the Wolverhampton area - small world.

I know what you mean about resp and neuro. My background also Msk. The books are taking a good clobbering at the moment and my family don't need an alarm.

Whereabouts are you moving to? and how are you going to solve the problem of work? Don't think they'll be dropping the idea of an exam anytime soon. I spoke to someone who went over in the 70's and they had one then!

Hope your house sale goes quickly and good luck for the future!

fizzyo2
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all

Hello again

Our paths may have crossed at some point I've worked at cannock in the past and I know a few who've moved on to New Cross.
We have enough money to survive for a year , my husband will get his business going, he's a carpenter plenty of wood out there, And if i have to I could always be a check out girl whilst I sort my credentialling out! Sounds quite appealing considering the politics of the NHS these days.
I would like to set up on my own, you know you don't need a licence to practice acupuncture. Crazy hey.
We are going to Nova Scotia , Cape Breton. Where are you off to?
Good luck with the studying, any advice will be most welcome on the exam process. PM me if you like.

Justie