Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Reapply for PR or citizenship: crossover dates are close.

Reapply for PR or citizenship: crossover dates are close.

Old Jul 18th 2016, 5:28 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reapply for PR or citizenship: crossover dates are close.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No PR card required if travelling by private vehicle but expect to be questioned. Take proof that you have applied for new PR cards.
Thanks. My wife is still stressing over it. We've decided to drive over and catch a flight from Buffalo so make it easier for us rather than fly direct from Toronto.

What proof would I need? I filled the forms in and sent them. I don't have anything else. I have the original landing papers (can't remember what the code is for it sorry) for each of us and the PR card that would have expired 10 days prior to driving back to Canada.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 9:16 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

No PR card required if travelling by private vehicle but expect to be questioned.
Would this be true for someone that is waiting on their first PR card?
Old Jul 18th 2016, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
Thanks. My wife is still stressing over it. We've decided to drive over and catch a flight from Buffalo so make it easier for us rather than fly direct from Toronto.

What proof would I need? I filled the forms in and sent them. I don't have anything else. I have the original landing papers (can't remember what the code is for it sorry) for each of us and the PR card that would have expired 10 days prior to driving back to Canada.
Do you have the receipt showing payment to CIC?
Old Jul 18th 2016, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Would this be true for someone that is waiting on their first PR card?
Yes. Just take a copy of the COPR form.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 9:54 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Just take a copy of the COPR form.
Really? People are telling me not to go across the border without the PR card even in a private vehicle as its the officers discretion if they let me back in...
Old Jul 18th 2016, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Really? People are telling me not to go across the border without the PR card even in a private vehicle as its the officers discretion if they let me back in...
In your case you have just landed so can easily meet the residency obligation.
Just take your UK passport and COPR form. Pay the $6 for the I94 waiver and on the way back to Canada UK passport and COPR. You simply tell them you are waiting for your PR card.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

At least two people I know who have been waiting for their first PR cards have done this (entered by land) and were fine. A third didn't want to risk it (all three were around the time when the first cards really were taking "forever").

S
Old Jul 19th 2016, 12:20 am
Bex in the city

In your case you have just landed so can easily meet the residency obligation.
Just take your UK passport and COPR form. Pay the $6 for the I94 waiver and on the way back to Canada UK passport and COPR. You simply tell them you are waiting for your PR card.
Originally Posted by Snowy560
At least two people I know who have been waiting for their first PR cards have done this (entered by land) and were fine. A third didn't want to risk it (all three were around the time when the first cards really were taking "forever").

S
Thank you both. I'll tell the scaremongers that they are wrong then
Old Jul 19th 2016, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

The law (IRPA A19(2)) states:

Right of entry of permanent residents

(2) An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i...ge-5.html#h-17

S
Old Jul 19th 2016, 3:44 am
Bex in the city

The law (IRPA A19(2)) states:

Right of entry of permanent residents

(2) An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status.

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act

S
Thanks for this!
Old Jul 19th 2016, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Canadian citizens and permanent residents have the right to enter Canada, even if the permanent resident is later removed.

S
Old Jul 19th 2016, 12:09 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have the receipt showing payment to CIC?
Yes - Thanks. I'll print that out and take our original COPR forms.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 2:31 pm
Bex in the city

Canadian citizens and permanent residents have the right to enter Canada, even if the permanent resident is later removed.

S
So I guess the issue with flying is just with the airlines then as their staff only know of the PR card and will insist to see that or the PRTD?
Old Jul 19th 2016, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes.
I find it helpful to think of a PR card as functioning rather like an additional passport.

S
Old Jul 25th 2016, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

Yes.
I find it helpful to think of a PR card as functioning rather like an additional passport.

S
I don't have it any more, but arriving to Canada by road in a private vehicle back from weekends away in the US, many times I just handed over my PR card and they never asked for my passport

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.