Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Really confused application process

Really confused application process

Old Dec 6th 2020, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Caitlinjade95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Really confused application process

Hi there!

I'm a British citizen but I moved to America 2 years ago on a J1 visa. I've been working as a nanny ever since. I plan to move to Canada also to nanny (Montreal area) however the visa application process is SO confusing me.

Because I won't be entering from the UK and I'll just cross the US border. I'm just looking for some advice on the actual visa process on what I should be applying for and if I need a job offer before hand or not. Gahhhh it's just awfully confusing me!!

I've given this forum a heavy read however I've not found anyone with my similar circumstances so I'm feeling really stuck!!
Old Dec 6th 2020, 8:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really confused application process

Hi, welcome to BE.

It doesn’t matter how you’ll get to Canada - it’s the same application process whether you’re in the UK or US so don’t worry about that.

You may need a job offer to get a visa, it will depend on what you qualify for. This Wiki article has a good overview of all of the various visa routes - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration

And here’s the website for Quebec immigration if you don’t qualify for a Federal program - http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.html

So have a good read of those, work out if you think any route may be possible, and then we’ll try and help you understand the process.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 6th 2020 at 8:30 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

This is very helpful thank you. It looks like I'm going to have to go down the employment job offer route. I'd rather not self depend on job to job but it looks like it's the best method to go for
Old Dec 6th 2020, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caitlinjade95
This is very helpful thank you. It looks like I'm going to have to go down the employment job offer route. I'd rather not self depend on job to job but it looks like it's the best method to go for
If you don’t score enough under Express Entry, aren’t young enough for an IEC, don’t want to start up a business (or don’t have the funds to) etc, then yes, you’d need a job offer from a sponsoring employer to qualify for a visa.

It’s going to be tricky at the moment, both because you can’t go and job hunt in person (which is how it’s usually done - see the Job Hunting section of the Wiki for info) but also because it’s likely to be hard for an employer to prove no Canadian could be found to do the job given so many are unemployed thanks to Covid. Any other jobs you have experience in?

When does your US visa expire? And why Quebec specifically, any reason or are you open to other provinces?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 6th 2020 at 9:01 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

I'm 25 this month...what would the IEC be? Oh I should also look into what the express entry option is to see what my points would be.

I have 7 years childcare experience with and 2 years photography experience. Qualified in both areas.

Thankfully for nanny jobs there's things like 'canadiannanny.com' where families are willing to sponsor to bring you to them. But I read that they have to prove no Canadian can complete the job...which obviously they can!!

My US visa will expire because I'm on the J1 Au Pair visa which gives me 2 years. That'll end in February so I'm legally required to leave in March (you get a month grace period). My end goal is to be able to come back to the USA. I want to keep on EST timezone which is why I've been looking in the Quebec area (close to the NH border) but I'm open to other provinces in the east!!
Old Dec 6th 2020, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm 25 this month...what would the IEC be? Oh I should also look into what the express entry option is to see what my points would be.

I have 7 years childcare experience with and 2 years photography experience. Qualified in both areas.

Thankfully for nanny jobs there's things like 'canadiannanny.com' where families are willing to sponsor to bring you to them. But I read that they have to prove no Canadian can complete the job...which obviously they can!!

My US visa will expire because I'm on the J1 Au Pair visa which gives me 2 years. That'll end in February so I'm legally required to leave in March (you get a month grace period). My end goal is to be able to come back to the USA. I want to keep on EST timezone which is why I've been looking in the Quebec area (close to the NH border) but I'm open to other provinces in the east!!
Ah, ok. Even if you find a job offer tomorrow, you won’t have a visa by February, so you’ll need to be prepared to return to the UK anyway. Yes, do check your EE scores (as per the Wiki link above), and there’s info on the IEC in that link too, which you’d qualify for if you’re 25. So that’s an option, you could apply under next years program and hope you get lucky.

If your goal is really the US, may also be worth posting in the US immi section of the forums to see if the good folks there can suggest anything. I assume your J-1 doesn’t have the home residency requirement?
Old Dec 6th 2020, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

I'm uncertain as I have 2 DS-2019 one with the 2 year home residency box checked and one without. So it's incredibly confusing and I have no idea how to check which one is the right one!!

I did read that you can enter Canada for x amount of time freely and I thought that might bridge the time required to get a visa. I thought if it's sponsored it might be faster!

I'll def take another look at that link and I'll go ahead and hunt out the US immigration section!!
Old Dec 6th 2020, 9:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm uncertain as I have 2 DS-2019 one with the 2 year home residency box checked and one without. So it's incredibly confusing and I have no idea how to check which one is the right one!!

I did read that you can enter Canada for x amount of time freely and I thought that might bridge the time required to get a visa. I thought if it's sponsored it might be faster!

I'll def take another look at that link and I'll go ahead and hunt out the US immigration section!!
You could normally be in Canada for up to 6 months as a UK citizen, but can’t enter Canada at all at the mo due to Covid. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.ham

A work permit would be faster than a PR app, but it’s still going to take around 4-6 months usually.

The US section can hopefully help you work out if you do have the HRR on your visa too.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 6th 2020 at 9:12 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2020, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

thank you for all of your help!
Old Dec 6th 2020, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

thank you for all of your help!
No probs, best of luck.