Wikiposts

Re gardeing Canadain citizenship.

Old Jun 13th 2002, 7:23 am
Edward Saelens

Default Re gardeing Canadain citizenship.

I am a Canadian citizen and am trying to get PR status for my Fiancée who is American
In Canada. Does any body know if I give up my Canadian citizen ship and move back to
Germany and reinstate my german citizenship what conseques are there for me , Eg: do
i lose my CPP or OAP when i turn 65 as I would no longer be a Canadian citizen . I am
thinking about doing this because the process for me and my fiancée to be together is
a lot easier and less expensive plus I would like some leverage to use against the
govt of Canada if they give us a hard time on getting PR status for my fiancée. Cause
by denouncing my Canadian citizen ship I could walk away from my $30,000 Canada
student loan and my tax bill and use it as leverage against
CIC .I really would like to now what happens when I do renounce my Canadian
citizen ship.

Old Jun 13th 2002, 7:23 am
Stuart Brook

Default Re: Re gardeing Canadain citizenship.

Edward Saelens wrote:
    >
    > I am a Canadian citizen and am trying to get PR status for my Fiancée who is
    > American In Canada. Does any body know if I give up my Canadian citizen ship and
    > move back to Germany and reinstate my german citizenship what conseques are there
    > for me , Eg: do i lose my CPP or OAP when i turn 65 as I would no longer be a
    > Canadian citizen . I am thinking about doing this because the process for me and
    > my fiancée to be together is a lot easier and less expensive plus I would like
    > some leverage to use against the govt of Canada if they give us a hard time on
    > getting PR status for my fiancée. Cause by denouncing my Canadian citizen ship I
    > could walk away from my $30,000 Canada student loan and my tax bill and use it as
    > leverage against
    > CIC .I really would like to now what happens when I do renounce my Canadian citizen
    > ship.

Canada does not require you to give up citizenship to take another. Your benefits
under CPP do not change whatever your citizenship, but your benefits for OAP depend
on residence, not citizenship. Leave Canada, lose OAP.

Your Student loan and tax bill does not depend on citizenship either. They are
personal obligations. The tax bill is based on your residence in Canada as the taxes
were accrued based on your earnings. Your Student loan is a loan from a bank to you
with a guaranteed lower interest rate guaranteed by the government, and if you
default, the bank comes after you, not the gov't.

None of these things are leverage on CIC to do anything.

Your US fiancee just has to go through the process. Leverage will do nothing to get
her PR if she doesn't qualify, (although the only reason she would not qualify in the
family class would be medical or ciminal inadmissibility) and will not get her PR any
faster either.

Dream on.

Old Jun 13th 2002, 12:20 pm
Edward Saelens

I disagree on the Canada student loan I currently have paid on it for over 10 years
and the govt sends me letters all the time requesting payment . not the banks . So if
I'm no longer Canadian citizen my obligations and tax bill to Canada re nil then.
including the current debt I owe them .

"Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Edward Saelens wrote:
    > >
    > > I am a Canadian citizen and am trying to get PR status for my Fiancée
who is
    > > American In Canada. Does any body know if I give up my Canadian citizen ship and
    > > move back to Germany and reinstate my german citizenship what conseques are there
    > > for me , Eg: do i lose my CPP or OAP when i turn 65
as I
    > > would no longer be a Canadian citizen . I am thinking about doing this because
    > > the process for me and my fiancée to be together is a lot easier
and
    > > less expensive plus I would like some leverage to use against the govt
of
    > > Canada if they give us a hard time on getting PR status for my fiancée. Cause by
    > > denouncing my Canadian citizen ship I could walk away from my $30,000 Canada
    > > student loan and my tax bill and use it as leverage
against
    > > CIC .I really would like to now what happens when I do renounce my Canadian
    > > citizen ship.
    >
    > Canada does not require you to give up citizenship to take another. Your benefits
    > under CPP do not change whatever your citizenship, but your benefits for OAP depend
    > on residence, not citizenship. Leave Canada, lose OAP.
    >
    > Your Student loan and tax bill does not depend on citizenship either. They are
    > personal obligations. The tax bill is based on your residence in Canada as the
    > taxes were accrued based on your earnings. Your Student loan is a loan from a bank
    > to you with a guaranteed lower interest rate guaranteed by the government, and if
    > you default, the bank comes after you, not the gov't.
    >
    > None of these things are leverage on CIC to do anything.
    >
    > Your US fiancee just has to go through the process. Leverage will do nothing to get
    > her PR if she doesn't qualify, (although the only reason she would not qualify in
    > the family class would be medical or ciminal inadmissibility) and will not get her
    > PR any faster either.
    >
    > Dream on.

Old Jun 13th 2002, 2:20 pm
Stuart Brook

Edward Saelens wrote:
    >
    > I disagree on the Canada student loan I currently have paid on it for over 10 years
    > and the govt sends me letters all the time requesting payment . not the banks . So
    > if I'm no longer Canadian citizen my obligations and tax bill to Canada re nil
    > then. including the current debt I owe them .

OK ... You've got a gov't sourced loan ... they were later fended off to the banks
with gov't rate guarantees.

BUT If citizenship never was a requirement for a student loan, and therefore
renouncing citizenship is no reason to reneg on your committments.

Taxation is not based on citizenship. Once you owe taxes, simply leaving Canada and
renouncing citizenship doesn't make them go away. They are still a personal debt.

If that's your intent, then you're nothing but a common thief. And if you do it, put
your face in Canada again and you'll be charged with tax evasion.

Old Jun 13th 2002, 2:20 pm
Stephen C. Gall

"Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Edward Saelens wrote:
    > >
    > > I disagree on the Canada student loan I currently have paid on it for
over
    > > 10 years and the govt sends me letters all the time requesting payment .
not
    > > the banks . So if I'm no longer Canadian citizen my obligations and tax
bill
    > > to Canada re nil then. including the current debt I owe them .
    >
    > OK ... You've got a gov't sourced loan ... they were later fended off to the banks
    > with gov't rate guarantees.
    >
    > BUT If citizenship never was a requirement for a student loan, and therefore
    > renouncing citizenship is no reason to reneg on your committments.
    >
    > Taxation is not based on citizenship. Once you owe taxes, simply leaving Canada and
    > renouncing citizenship doesn't make them go away. They are still a personal debt.
    >
    > If that's your intent, then you're nothing but a common thief. And if you do it,
    > put your face in Canada again and you'll be charged with tax evasion.

And he shouldn't ever think about moving to the US with his American fiancée either.
Canada and the US have an agreement to collect taxes owed to either country by anyone
residing in those countries.