Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Re-entering Canada without PR card

Re-entering Canada without PR card

Old Aug 26th 2014, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Ashleigh.james87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re-entering Canada without PR card

I just got my permanent residence (yay!!!) and I need to go back to England for two weeks in October and it may be before I receive my PR card. I contacted immigration and they said it would be fine as I have an English passport so won't need a visa and I will also have my confirmation of permanent residency document. I just wanted to check that this is correct as I don't want to risk not being let back into the country.

Thank you.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 11:34 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-entering Canada without PR card

Didn't we just have this thread? Technically you're supposed to go to the Canadian High Commission and apply for a one-time entry visa. But as you don't require a visa to visit then you can usually get away without getting one. However the Canadian travel regs require you to have the relevant legal documentation and the person who checks that is the person at check-in and/or the gate so it depends on what they think (i.e. how much of a jobsworth they are).

Once you get to Canada it's not a big deal as CBSA can look you up.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 7:05 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I did this April last year when renewing my PR card, old one had expired, new one hadn't arrived. No problem at immigration but you do get diverted to the side room in the airport where they can interview you to find out the details, so allow an extra half hour or so if you're being picked up.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Didn't we just have this thread? Technically you're supposed to go to the Canadian High Commission and apply for a one-time entry visa. But as you don't require a visa to visit then you can usually get away without getting one. However the Canadian travel regs require you to have the relevant legal documentation and the person who checks that is the person at check-in and/or the gate so it depends on what they think (i.e. how much of a jobsworth they are).

Once you get to Canada it's not a big deal as CBSA can look you up.
Yes, we did.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...red-pr-841760/

S